-   -   Lenovo T410 modem difficulties (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-laptop/543028-lenovo-t410-modem-difficulties.html)

Bill 06-22-2011 07:14 PM

Lenovo T410 modem difficulties

Hi folks,

I was wondering if anyone had succeeded in getting the POTS
built-in modem on a T410 to work with squeeze. I only need the
modem for a backup on those rare occasions when POTS is all
there is, but I would like to have it configured.

After a night on Google, I discover that the Linuxant module is
essentially marketing bait for a commercial upgrade. So no way
to that. I'm not a purist exactly, but I only have 5 non-free
packages on the system. One more won't matter but I intend to
stick with free software as far as possible.

ScanModem reveals three potential chipsets but I believe I have
a Conexant HD Audio Modem. I've installed the sl-modem-daemon
without success.

Any pointers?

b.

green 06-23-2011 05:11 PM

Bill wrote at 2011-06-22 22:27 -0600:
> I was wondering if anyone had succeeded in getting the POTS
> built-in modem on a T410 to work with squeeze. I only need the

No success here: the modem in my T61 *still* does not work with Debian amd64.

You might want to try asking on the <linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org>
mailing list. I will be listening, hoping for some pointers! :)

Camaleón 06-23-2011 05:36 PM

On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 21:27:44 -0700, Bill wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone had succeeded in getting the POTS built-in
> modem on a T410 to work with squeeze. I only need the modem for a backup
> on those rare occasions when POTS is all there is, but I would like to
> have it configured.

Those damn software modems are a bunch of... I better shut up :-)

> After a night on Google, I discover that the Linuxant module is
> essentially marketing bait for a commercial upgrade. So no way to that.
> I'm not a purist exactly, but I only have 5 non-free packages on the
> system. One more won't matter but I intend to stick with free software
> as far as possible.

Linuxant provides a free (but limited) version of the drivers, maybe
that's fine for your requirements.

http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/hsf/full/downloads.php

> ScanModem reveals three potential chipsets but I believe I have a
> Conexant HD Audio Modem. I've installed the sl-modem-daemon without
> success.
>
> Any pointers?

It seems that you modem should work with that package, so I would try to
get it working:

http://us.thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkPad_Modem_(MDC-3.0,_56kbps_HDA)
http://us.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Conexant_HSF_modem_drivers

Or better yet, get a real modem >:-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh 06-23-2011 06:12 PM

On Thu, 23 Jun 2011, Camaleón wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 21:27:44 -0700, Bill wrote:
> > I was wondering if anyone had succeeded in getting the POTS built-in
> > modem on a T410 to work with squeeze. I only need the modem for a backup
> > on those rare occasions when POTS is all there is, but I would like to
> > have it configured.
>
> Those damn software modems are a bunch of... I better shut up :-)

You will have to buy a driver from Linuxant if you want that thing to work.

> > After a night on Google, I discover that the Linuxant module is
> > essentially marketing bait for a commercial upgrade. So no way to that.
> > I'm not a purist exactly, but I only have 5 non-free packages on the
> > system. One more won't matter but I intend to stick with free software
> > as far as possible.
>
> Linuxant provides a free (but limited) version of the drivers, maybe
> that's fine for your requirements.
>
> http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/hsf/full/downloads.php

You're better off paying for those drivers, really. You either need the
modem and the paid linuxant driver, or you don't need it that much and
you'll be much better off disabling the modem in the BIOS.

> Or better yet, get a real modem >:-)

That would be either a cdc-acm USB device, which can be rather difficult to
find... or a USB RS232 dongle plus an async RS232 modem (large and somewhat
expensive).

Henrique Holschuh

Camaleón 06-23-2011 06:39 PM

On Thu, 23 Jun 2011 15:12:22 -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Jun 2011, Camaleón wrote:
>> On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 21:27:44 -0700, Bill wrote:
>> > I was wondering if anyone had succeeded in getting the POTS built-in
>> > modem on a T410 to work with squeeze. I only need the modem for a
>> > backup on those rare occasions when POTS is all there is, but I would
>> > like to have it configured.
>>
>> Those damn software modems are a bunch of... I better shut up :-)
>
> You will have to buy a driver from Linuxant if you want that thing to
> work.

Why? Is the free version of their software not working at all? :-?

>> > After a night on Google, I discover that the Linuxant module is
>> > essentially marketing bait for a commercial upgrade. So no way to
>> > that. I'm not a purist exactly, but I only have 5 non-free packages
>> > on the system. One more won't matter but I intend to stick with free
>> > software as far as possible.
>>
>> Linuxant provides a free (but limited) version of the drivers, maybe
>> that's fine for your requirements.
>>
>> http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/hsf/full/downloads.php
>
> You're better off paying for those drivers, really. You either need the
> modem and the paid linuxant driver, or you don't need it that much and
> you'll be much better off disabling the modem in the BIOS.

I thougth softmodems were really bad but Conexant chipset based ones at
least provide two sets of drivers... are you saying nooone work?

>> Or better yet, get a real modem >:-)
>
> That would be either a cdc-acm USB device, which can be rather difficult
> to find... or a USB RS232 dongle plus an async RS232 modem (large and
> somewhat expensive).

Uh? A plain USB or a PCMCIA/Smart PC card (being both hardware based
modems) will do the job quite well. Anything is better than an embedded
modem.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh 06-23-2011 08:21 PM

Lenovo T410 modem difficulties

On Thu, 23 Jun 2011, Camaleón wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Jun 2011 15:12:22 -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> >>
> >> Those damn software modems are a bunch of... I better shut up :-)
> >
> > You will have to buy a driver from Linuxant if you want that thing to
> > work.
>
> Why? Is the free version of their software not working at all? :-?

Can you actually use 14k4 for anything? If you need the modem, you likely
need the full support.

Yes, the "free beer" version works. But it is NOT worth the hassle of
installing or loading that driver as a "just have" IMO. Do it only if
you _need_ it, and if you need it, get the full version to at least pay
something back to linuxant for the driver developement and encourage
them to keep maintaining it so that it will still work on later kernels.

> I thougth softmodems were really bad but Conexant chipset based ones at
> least provide two sets of drivers... are you saying nooone work?

Both worked last time I tried them in a T43, and 2.6.26 kernel. I have
not bothered to recompile it and check against 2.6.32 and 2.6.35, and I
have no idea if it even know how to deal with 3.0.

> >> Or better yet, get a real modem >:-)
> >
> > That would be either a cdc-acm USB device, which can be rather difficult
> > to find... or a USB RS232 dongle plus an async RS232 modem (large and
> > somewhat expensive).
>
> Uh? A plain USB or a PCMCIA/Smart PC card (being both hardware based
> modems) will do the job quite well. Anything is better than an embedded
> modem.

Plain USB has to be cdc-acm (full serial device) to work in Linux.
Finding them is not that easy in some parts of the world, and most are
not produced anymore. The smartcard ones are even worse. YMMV.

The T43 embedded modem with full (paid) linuxant drivers used to work
well, as long as I never tried to suspend (those drivers are NOT even
close to perfect). I haven't needed the modem for two years now, so I
didn't bother testing the driver in recent kernels.

Henrique Holschuh

Doug 06-23-2011 10:20 PM

Lenovo T410 modem difficulties

I thougth softmodems were really bad but Conexant chipset based ones at
least provide two sets of drivers... are you saying nooone work?

I don't normally use a modem, but I do have a laptop--a Dell Inspiron--and
I wonder what command determines what kind of modem chipset you have?
Thanx--doug

--
Blessed are the peacekeepers...for they shall be shot at from both sides. --A. M. Greeley

Archive: 4E03BC1B.6070807@optonline.net">http://lists.debian.org/4E03BC1B.6070807@optonline.net

Greg Madden 06-24-2011 12:07 AM

On Thursday 23 June 2011 02:20:11 pm Doug wrote:
> >> I thougth softmodems were really bad but Conexant chipset based ones at
> >> least provide two sets of drivers... are you saying nooone work?
>
> I don't normally use a modem, but I do have a laptop--a Dell Inspiron--and
> I wonder what command determines what kind of modem chipset you have?
> Thanx--doug

'lspci' from a cli lists the hardware it detects, us the '-v' option for verbose.

'lshw' also lists hardware, verbose by default, suggested to run this one as super
user.

--
Peace,

Greg

Doug 06-24-2011 12:28 AM

Lenovo T410 modem difficulties

I thougth softmodems were really bad but Conexant chipset based ones at
least provide two sets of drivers... are you saying nooone work?

I don't normally use a modem, but I do have a laptop--a Dell Inspiron--and
I wonder what command determines what kind of modem chipset you have?
Thanx--doug

'lspci' from a cli lists the hardware it detects, us the '-v' option for verbose.

'lshw' also lists hardware, verbose by default, suggested to run this one as super
user.

Thanx. Will do. Actually, i have used lspci before, but forgot it. Is
there

a "topical index" of Unix commands somewhere?

--doug

--
Blessed are the peacekeepers...for they shall be shot at from both sides. --A. M. Greeley