Old 06-24-2011, 05:40 AM
Scott Ferguson

Default Lenovo T410 modem difficulties

On 24/06/11 10:28, Doug wrote:
> [...]

<snipped>

> Thanx. Will do. Actually, i have used lspci before, but forgot it. Is
> there
> a "topical index" of Unix commands somewhere?
>
> --doug

$ info
$ help
can't remember the command you want but you know a similar one?
$ apropos similar_command

Cheers

--
Your denial is beneath you, and thanks to the use of hallucinogenic
drugs, I see through you.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:47 AM
Camaleón

On Thu, 23 Jun 2011 17:21:44 -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Jun 2011, Camaleón wrote:

>> > You will have to buy a driver from Linuxant if you want that thing to
>> > work.
>>
>> Why? Is the free version of their software not working at all? :-?
>
> Can you actually use 14k4 for anything? If you need the modem, you
> likely need the full support.

I'd say that depends. Having a modem that works at a speed of 14.400 bps
can have its uses, for instance, sending (or receiving) a sporadic fax or
to send teleguard warnings.

Of course, if your main goal is browsing YouTube or having an "always on"
connection, you better get a UMTS modem.

> Yes, the "free beer" version works. But it is NOT worth the hassle of
> installing or loading that driver as a "just have" IMO. Do it only if
> you _need_ it, and if you need it, get the full version to at least pay
> something back to linuxant for the driver developement and encourage
> them to keep maintaining it so that it will still work on later kernels.

Yes, that's also my understanding.

Moreover, if I needed a dial-up link on the notebook, I would go for an
external modem without any doubt, but sometimes there is no other
choice :-(

>> I thougth softmodems were really bad but Conexant chipset based ones at
>> least provide two sets of drivers... are you saying nooone work?
>
> Both worked last time I tried them in a T43, and 2.6.26 kernel. I have
> not bothered to recompile it and check against 2.6.32 and 2.6.35, and I
> have no idea if it even know how to deal with 3.0.

Ah, good.

>> > That would be either a cdc-acm USB device, which can be rather
>> > difficult to find... or a USB RS232 dongle plus an async RS232 modem
>> > (large and somewhat expensive).
>>
>> Uh? A plain USB or a PCMCIA/Smart PC card (being both hardware based
>> modems) will do the job quite well. Anything is better than an embedded
>> modem.
>
> Plain USB has to be cdc-acm (full serial device) to work in Linux.
> Finding them is not that easy in some parts of the world, and most are
> not produced anymore. The smartcard ones are even worse. YMMV.

Yes, I know. But there are companies (Zoom or USRobotics) that still make
that kind of modems and they work with Linux.

Some links:

http://www.zoomtel.com/products/dial_up_external_usb.html
http://www.zoomtel.com/products/dial_up_pc_card.html
http://www.usr.com/products/modem/modem-product.asp?type=specs&sku=USR5637

And those came from well-know companies, there should be another unknown
modems that are also working with Linux. It requires a bit of digging but
sure there are.

> The T43 embedded modem with full (paid) linuxant drivers used to work
> well, as long as I never tried to suspend (those drivers are NOT even
> close to perfect). I haven't needed the modem for two years now, so I
> didn't bother testing the driver in recent kernels.

Good to know. At least there is a driver that makes the device to work.
My Toshiba Tecra A7 also integrates a dial-up modem that is not even
detected by the kernel (which I don't need it but it should be nice to
have such option, you never know...) ;-(

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 06-24-2011, 02:08 PM
Celejar

On Fri, 24 Jun 2011 11:47:18 +0000 (UTC)
Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Jun 2011 17:21:44 -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 23 Jun 2011, Camaleón wrote:

> >> Uh? A plain USB or a PCMCIA/Smart PC card (being both hardware based
> >> modems) will do the job quite well. Anything is better than an embedded
> >> modem.
> >
> > Plain USB has to be cdc-acm (full serial device) to work in Linux.
> > Finding them is not that easy in some parts of the world, and most are
> > not produced anymore. The smartcard ones are even worse. YMMV.
>
> Yes, I know. But there are companies (Zoom or USRobotics) that still make
> that kind of modems and they work with Linux.
>
> Some links:
>
> http://www.zoomtel.com/products/dial_up_external_usb.html
> http://www.zoomtel.com/products/dial_up_pc_card.html
> http://www.usr.com/products/modem/modem-product.asp?type=specs&sku=USR5637
>
> And those came from well-know companies, there should be another unknown
> modems that are also working with Linux. It requires a bit of digging but
> sure there are.

And Ebay is a great source for used, cheap gear of
this sort (i.e., quasi-obsolete). Last time I checked, USR Sportster
serial modems were easily available for about $10-$15 (USD - shipped to
the USA).

Celejar