Old 06-11-2011, 01:24 AM
Nuno Magalhães

Default Drivers for Toshiba Tecra-R840-10T (PT429E-00M007EP)

Hi,

I'd assume this list to be more appropriate than debian-user. I'm
considering this laptop (or a similar one) but i'd like to know if
there are drivers for it first.So far i haven't found any decent specs
regarding the chipsets it may use.

It has a Radeon HD 6450M graphics card (AMD/ATI provides a binary
driver) and the Wireless chip might be Intel (or Atheros). I'm at a
loss when it comes to other components like 3G, LAN, Bluetooth, AHCI,
etc.

There are some fairly complete spec sheets at csd.toshiba.com but not
for this model (apparently), nor is it searcheable by part number.
Toshiba forums are almost completely useless as most just say We Only
Support Windows™. Other forums and linux laptop sites don't seem to
have this model yet.

It's fairily new so i was counting on someone who bought one already.
I'm beginning to think it'll probably be worth it just to stick awound
with Windows7 for the whole of the warranty (instead of just long
enough to check every component works as expected) while i keep
searching.

Any help on this department? Are there any particular brands which are
more linux-friendly?

TIA,
Nuno

--
Mars 2 Stay!
http://xkcd.com/801/

Old 06-11-2011, 07:49 AM
Nuno Magalhes

Hi,

2011/6/11 Martin Schulz <mschulz45@googlemail.com>:
> And then, why not run a live cd on your toshie, using tools like
> lshw, lspci, hwinfo ? they can give
> * very verbose, detailed specs of whatever hardware
> * nvidia graphics still do less hassle than most other vendors, from my
> view,

Thanks for your reply. I prefer Debian to its derivates, although i
might end up with the odd binary driver from Ubuntu (or maybe from
non-free). I have an itch at HP for some reason, Lenovo's thinkpads
are rumoured not being what they used to (nor can i find one that
pleases be) and Dell's broad array of configuration options makes it
hard to pick. I tend to prefer Toshiba and Asus (and stay the hell
away from Acer). This Tecra's my main option, but i'm still looking at
others.

This one comes with an ATI, but they're supposed to provide the driver
(like nvidia does i guess, i've always used the nv on this desktop).
I don't have the laptop yet, so can't run anything on it; stumbling on
someone who'd cpuz-ed one would be nice. The liveCD will be the first
approach, especially if the vendor lets me do it while still in store.
I might linger on to the default OS for a while, else something might
be dead-on-arrival and i'd have to claim warranty.

Older Toshiba laptops do have linux drivers, which makes me confident
that if new ones don't, it's a matter of time (which always is, in the
end).

Thanks for your input.

--
Mars 2 Stay!
http://xkcd.com/801/

Old 06-11-2011, 08:58 AM
didier gaumet

Le Sat, 11 Jun 2011 02:24:05 +0100,
Nuno Magalhes <nunomagalhaes@eu.ipp.pt> a crit :

[...]
> It has a Radeon HD 6450M graphics card (AMD/ATI provides a binary
> driver)
[...]

According to http://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature this graphic card
(R900 or "Northern Islands" family) would be at least partially
supported by the Xorg radeon driver as of 2.6.39 version of the linux
kernel (KMS mode, UMS mode unsupported).

Old 06-11-2011, 03:47 PM
chris

On Sat, 2011-06-11 at 02:24 +0100, Nuno Magalhães wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd assume this list to be more appropriate than debian-user. I'm
> considering this laptop (or a similar one) but i'd like to know if
> there are drivers for it first.So far i haven't found any decent specs
> regarding the chipsets it may use.
>
> It has a Radeon HD 6450M graphics card (AMD/ATI provides a binary
> driver) and the Wireless chip might be Intel (or Atheros). I'm at a
> loss when it comes to other components like 3G, LAN, Bluetooth, AHCI,
> etc.
>
> There are some fairly complete spec sheets at csd.toshiba.com but not
> for this model (apparently), nor is it searcheable by part number.
> Toshiba forums are almost completely useless as most just say We Only
> Support Windows™. Other forums and linux laptop sites don't seem to
> have this model yet.
>
> It's fairily new so i was counting on someone who bought one already.
> I'm beginning to think it'll probably be worth it just to stick awound
> with Windows7 for the whole of the warranty (instead of just long
> enough to check every component works as expected) while i keep
> searching.
>
> Any help on this department? Are there any particular brands which are
> more linux-friendly?
>
> TIA,
> Nuno
>
> --
> Mars 2 Stay!
> http://xkcd.com/801/
> /etc

I have always found hp to be good with ubuntu.
--
Cheers the Kiwi

Old 06-13-2011, 04:37 AM
Brian Ryans

Quoting Nuno Magalhes on 2011-06-10 20:24:
> Any help on this department? Are there any particular brands which are
> more linux-friendly?

System7[62] is the name of the firm. I'm not sure which it is -- no net
as I write this. I'm fairly certain it's 76 though.

System76 build their laptops with Ubuntu as the default OS, so I see no
reason why Debian should give you more trouble than these other laptop
manufacturers' machines.

Unfortunately, they're a direct-order firm; you won't be able to pop a
Debian Live disc in at the shop and take a look.

Hope this helps.

--
_ Brian Ryans 8B2A 54C4 E275 8CFD 8A7D 5D0B 0AD0 B014 C112 13D0 .
( ) ICQ 43190205 | Mail/Jabber/Yahoo/MSN: BrianLRyans@gmail.com ..:

Old 06-18-2011, 10:44 AM
Nuno Magalhes

On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 05:37, Brian Ryans <brian.l.ryans@gmail.com> wrote:
> Unfortunately, they're a direct-order firm; you won't be able to pop a
> Debian Live disc in at the shop and take a look.

Plus they only ship to the US, UK and Canada, but thanks.

Old 06-19-2011, 07:57 AM
Brian Ryans

Quoting Nuno Magalhes on 2011-06-18 05:44:
> On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 05:37, Brian Ryans <brian.l.ryans@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Unfortunately, they're a direct-order firm; you won't be able to pop a
> > Debian Live disc in at the shop and take a look.
>
> Plus they only ship to the US, UK and Canada, but thanks.

I humbly submit myself to a bonk.