Old 05-25-2011, 04:22 PM
Ilya Ilembitov

Default vga_switcheroo switching on HP Envy 13

Hi, all.

I have installed Debian Testing amd64 on my HP Envy 13, which has two GPUs - ATI Mobility HD 4330 and Intel GMA 4500MHD. Which means, I need some kind of switching through vga_switcheroo.

I've tried following this guide (http://linuxenvy.blogspot.com/2011/01/tackling-switchable-graphics.html) for Ubuntu. I get this

cat: /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch: No such file or directory
cat: /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch: No such file or directory
[: 96: unexpected operator
[: 96: unexpected operator
[: 96: unexpected operator

[: 96: unexpected operator

What do I do?

Old 05-25-2011, 04:36 PM
Jérôme

Le mercredi 25 mai 2011 à 20:22 +0400, Ilya Ilembitov a écrit :
> Hi, all.
>
> I have installed Debian Testing amd64 on my HP Envy 13, which has two GPUs -
> ATI Mobility HD 4330 and Intel GMA 4500MHD. Which means, I need some kind of
> switching through vga_switcheroo.
>
> I've tried following this guide (
> http://linuxenvy.blogspot.com/2011/01/tackling-switchable-graphics.html) for
> Ubuntu. I get this
>
> cat: /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch: No such file or directory
> cat: /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch: No such file or directory
> [: 96: unexpected operator
> [: 96: unexpected operator
> [: 96: unexpected operator
> [: 96: unexpected operator
>
> What do I do?

install debugfs.

in /etc/fstab :
none /sys/kernel/debug debugfs defaults 0 0

and :
# mount -a

for use it with your user, in /etc/rc.local :
# chown your_user:your_user /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch

and now, identify your card :
$ lspci |grep -i vga

get status :
cat /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch

switch to ati :
echo DDIS > /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch

switch to intel :
echo DIGD > /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch

power off unused :
echo OFF > /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch

power on unused :
echo ON > /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch

make scripts ^_^;

best regards
--
Jérôme