-   -   tp_smapi 0.40-9 incompatible with thinkpad w520? (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-laptop/529765-tp_smapi-0-40-9-incompatible-thinkpad-w520.html)

CHERN Yen-Chieh 05-23-2011 08:20 PM

tp_smapi 0.40-9 incompatible with thinkpad w520?

Hi,

Before the bios update made available on 19th May, my thinkpad w520
couldn't boot into debian wheezy/sid even after a successful
installation. However the latest bios update solved that issue. But
still the tp_smapi can not be loaded.

usr@debian-thinkpadw520:~$ sudo modprobe tp_smapi
[sudo] password for usr:
FATAL: Error inserting tp_smapi
(/lib/modules/2.6.39-1-amd64/updates/dkms/tp_smapi.ko): No such device

By the way, if I remove the hard drive to install it to an old T60p, it
boots into debian and loads tp_smapi normall. Any ideas about loading
the module properly? Thanks in advance!!

CHERN Yen-Chieh 05-24-2011 09:05 PM

tp_smapi 0.40-9 incompatible with thinkpad w520?

Hi, all,

Another symptom, although on the panel the gnome power management applet
indicates the battery is charging, actually it is not. Now with the
power adapter connected, the laptop cannot charge the battery! I think
the incompatibility of tp_smapi with bios gives the wrong control on
battery charge threshold.

YC

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh 05-25-2011 02:16 PM

On Tue, 24 May 2011, CHERN Yen-Chieh wrote:
> power adapter connected, the laptop cannot charge the battery! I think
> the incompatibility of tp_smapi with bios gives the wrong control on
> battery charge threshold.

If the driver did not manage to load in the first place, it should have
had no effect on the box.

Anyway, to fully reset a Lenovo thinkpad:

1. Remove all power supplies, including all batteries.

2. Press the power button at least 10 times, keep it pressed down at
least 4s each time.

3. Press the power button a final time for at least 12 seconds.

That should drain all power that could keep the EC and a few other
circuits alive. IBM ThinkPads shut down the EC more often (every time
the box is powered off and disconnected from AC), so you usually don't
need the above procedure.

This will clear all configuration data that is not backed by the CMOS
(which stores BIOS/EFI config). In all Thinkpads from 2009 and before,
this procedure is known to reset all battery thresholds to the factory
default. I very much doubt it changed in the 2010/2011 models.

Henrique Holschuh

CHERN Yen-Chieh 05-25-2011 06:01 PM

tp_smapi 0.40-9 incompatible with thinkpad w520?

Many thanks for the info.

YC

Yannick Warnier 05-25-2011 11:42 PM

El lun, 23-05-2011 a las 15:20 -0500, CHERN Yen-Chieh escribió:
> Hi,
>
> Before the bios update made available on 19th May, my thinkpad w520
> couldn't boot into debian wheezy/sid even after a successful
> installation. However the latest bios update solved that issue. But
> still the tp_smapi can not be loaded.
>
> usr@debian-thinkpadw520:~$ sudo modprobe tp_smapi
> [sudo] password for usr:
> FATAL: Error inserting tp_smapi
> (/lib/modules/2.6.39-1-amd64/updates/dkms/tp_smapi.ko): No such device
>
> By the way, if I remove the hard drive to install it to an old T60p, it
> boots into debian and loads tp_smapi normall. Any ideas about loading
> the module properly? Thanks in advance!!

Just as side-information (in case this would help even slightly):

I'm on a w500 with Ubuntu 10.10 (kernel 2.6.35-28) and it loads fine
(but I remember not getting the full tp_smapi features set from trying
it a few months ago).

$ sudo modprobe tp_smapi
$ lsmod |grep smapi
tp_smapi 26466 0
thinkpad_ec 5866 1 tp_smapi

Best of luck,

Yannick

Martin Steigerwald 06-02-2011 04:08 PM

Am Montag, 23. Mai 2011 schrieb CHERN Yen-Chieh:
> Hi,

Hi,

> Before the bios update made available on 19th May, my thinkpad w520
> couldn't boot into debian wheezy/sid even after a successful
> installation.

I assume that was the BIOS with a fix to also boot Linux when no partition
is marked bootable? Been there with my T520. But didn´t install the BIOS
Update yet, just marked partition with /boot as bootable even when Linux
itself does not need it.

> However the latest bios update solved that issue. But
> still the tp_smapi can not be loaded.
>
> usr@debian-thinkpadw520:~$ sudo modprobe tp_smapi
> [sudo] password for usr:
> FATAL: Error inserting tp_smapi
> (/lib/modules/2.6.39-1-amd64/updates/dkms/tp_smapi.ko): No such device

Same here. I think the current tp-smapi doesn´t properly support the new
models. I didn´t get anything back regarding my post on that topic on
linux thinkpad mailing list.