Old 04-01-2011, 03:38 PM
Peter Rapisarda

Default The battery cannot be identified.

Hello all,
*
I am a student who is just learning LINUX for the first time so I basically have NO idea what I'm doing so please be patient with me.* In an attempted to complement my studying I decided to resurrect an old laptop which is a Dell Inspiron 2200 with a Intel Celeron M processor.* The hard drive had gone bad so I replaced it and purched a verison of debian off of OSDisc.com and used that to install debian on my "new" system.* Everything works great except when I start up the computer i get a message that says:

*
Time-of-day not set - please run SETUP program
WARNING: The battery cannot be identified.
This system will be unable to charge this battery...
*
Is this a problem with the battery itself, or did I install something incorrectly maybe?* If I leave the laptop plugged in it works like a charm, but the second I take the plug out of the wall (even with the battery inserted into the laptop) it shuts off.* As you can imagine this is extremely annooying and I have no idea what to do.* I don't want to go out and purchase a new battery until I'm sure that's the issue.* Any help would be greatly appreciated.

*
Thanks,
-Pete

Old 04-01-2011, 03:43 PM

Hello,

Did u install debian 6? Normally while installing debian 6, it should have prompted u to install a "laptop version".

If u installed debian 5, the installer should have automatically run the "laptop detect"..

Dell has an integrated diagnostic utility, try to interrupt the self power on bios test & see if u can see something like press "F1" F9" for diagnostics..

Old 04-01-2011, 05:58 PM
Marvin Renich

* Peter Rapisarda <peter.rapisarda@gmail.com> [110401 10:38]:
> Hello all,
>
> I am a student who is just learning LINUX for the first time so I basically
> have NO idea what I'm doing so please be patient with me. In an attempted
> to complement my studying I decided to resurrect an old laptop which is a
> Dell Inspiron 2200 with a Intel Celeron M processor. The hard drive had
> gone bad so I replaced it and purched a verison of debian off of OSDisc.com
> and used that to install debian on my "new" system. Everything works great
> except when I start up the computer i get a message that says:
>
> Time-of-day not set - please run SETUP program
> WARNING: The battery cannot be identified.
> This system will be unable to charge this battery...
>
> Is this a problem with the battery itself, or did I install something
> incorrectly maybe? If I leave the laptop plugged in it works like a charm,
> but the second I take the plug out of the wall (even with the battery
> inserted into the laptop) it shuts off. As you can imagine this is
> extremely annooying and I have no idea what to do. I don't want to go out
> and purchase a new battery until I'm sure that's the issue. Any help would
> be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> -Pete

This should not have anything to do with the operating system installed.
Try shutting down the laptop, leaving the battery in and the power cord
plugged in. If the battery has not gone bad, this should recharge the
battery in a few hours. Then, unplug the power cord and turn on the
laptop. If it doesn't come on at all, you need a new battery; this is
what I suspect from your description. If the computer comes on, but
Linux does not run properly, post back with details, e.g. the
power-on-self-test (POST) runs normally, but it cannot find a bootable
disk.

...Marvin

Old 04-02-2011, 04:13 AM
Mark

On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 10:58 AM, Marvin Renich <mrvn@renich.org> wrote:

* Peter Rapisarda <peter.rapisarda@gmail.com> [110401 10:38]:

> Hello all,

> I am a student who is just learning LINUX for the first time so I basically

> have NO idea what I'm doing so please be patient with me. *In an attempted

> to complement my studying I decided to resurrect an old laptop which is a

> Dell Inspiron 2200 with a Intel Celeron M processor. *The hard drive had

> gone bad so I replaced it and purched a verison of debian off of OSDisc.com

> and used that to install debian on my "new" system. *Everything works great

> except when I start up the computer i get a message that says:

> Time-of-day not set - please run SETUP program

> WARNING: The battery cannot be identified.

> This system will be unable to charge this battery...

[snip]

This should not have anything to do with the operating system installed.

Try shutting down the laptop, leaving the battery in and the power cord

plugged in. *If the battery has not gone bad, this should recharge the

battery in a few hours. *Then, unplug the power cord and turn on the

laptop. *If it doesn't come on at all, you need a new battery; this is

what I suspect from your description. *If the computer comes on, but

Linux does not run properly, post back with details, e.g. the

power-on-self-test (POST) runs normally, but it cannot find a bootable

disk.

To add to Marvin's reply, a lot of Dell laptops have the battery indicator light flash orange/red in some repetitive fashion if the battery falls below a certain level/ability to hold a charge - it's somewhere around 35% of the original battery charging capacity.* So if you see the constantly blinking light on your laptop, your battery is kaput.

Mark

Old 04-02-2011, 03:19 PM
Peter Rapisarda

This is something I was afraid of.* I have NO idea what version of debian I installed, and I don't know how to find out.* While doing the setup I don't recall it saying ANYTHING about*a laptop and I think this has something to do with my problem.* But just because I don't remember doesn't mean I have the wrong version or I didn't install it properly, it could mean I just forgot.* Do you know how I can check?

*
I ran the Dell diagnostic utility and it goes through a few things and then I get a message "No diagnostic Utility Partition found.* To run diagnostics insert your Dell "Drivers and Utilities" CD, then select OK to restart the system and boot off the CD".* Thankfully I do have the CD and did exactly as the message says, but after a minute or two It comes up with a message "Result code: 0E00-0002.* Msg: SYSTEM_ERROR.* This system is not recogized as a supported Dell PC.* These diagnostics may not run on unsupported systems."* I did it a few times just to be sure and I get the same result every time and my battery problem has not been fixed.

*
As I was explaining in another reply I did find a directory called /sys/class/power_supply and in there is another directory called AC.* Again please excuse me if this sounds dumb but I assume has something to do with the AC power outlet on the computer.* Should there be something else in that directory with regards to a battery?* Does this have something to do with installing the "laptop version" of debian?

*
Thanks again.

Old 04-02-2011, 03:26 PM
Tomasz Nitecki

On 02/04/11 17:10, Peter Rapisarda wrote:
> (...)
> The computer won't do ANYTHING if it's not plugged
> in, and the second power is removed the system shuts off.
> (...)

Does this also happen when you unplug your computer during POST? If so,
then there is a problem with your hardware (most likely with battery).

Regards,
Thomas

Old 04-02-2011, 04:17 PM
Peter Rapisarda

Yes. *If it's not plugged in it does not turn on. *Removing the power plug at any point will cause it to shut off. *I guess the general*consensus*is that there is something wrong with the battery but I just wanted to make sure. *I'll get a new one and see if that works.

Thanks,-Pete

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/4D974009.8070504@tnnn.pl

Old 04-02-2011, 07:37 PM
Bob Proulx

Peter Rapisarda wrote:
> to complement my studying I decided to resurrect an old laptop which is a
> Dell Inspiron 2200 with a Intel Celeron M processor. The hard drive had
> gone bad so I replaced it

Should be fine. My main laptop is of similar vintage. I have
replaced the battery however.

> and purched a verison of debian off of OSDisc.com and used that to
> install debian on my "new" system. Everything works great except
> when I start up the computer i get a message that says:
>
> Time-of-day not set - please run SETUP program
> WARNING: The battery cannot be identified.
> This system will be unable to charge this battery...

That message would not come from Debian. I believe (not 100% so
beware) that that type of message would come from the BIOS at boot
time when it runs its POST (power on self check). It wouldn't have
started to load the OS yet.

Old machines sometimes have problems with the hardware clock because
the backup battery on the clock will have died over the years. This
can often be fixed easily by replacing the battery which is usually a
very common CR2032 battery. For a desktop with an always available
internet connection this is usually a don't-care because the OS can
set the clock at boot time from an internet time source. For a laptop
this is somewhat more important because if you boot away from any
network connection then it will probably think the time is 1970 at the
zero integer time of the Unix epoch since the clock usually returns 0.
Depending upon how you use your laptop this may or may not annoy you
or others. You can probably ignore it if you understand it.

Old laptops sometimes have problems with failed batteries, both main
batteries and clock batteries. Different manufacturers do different
things with the main battery information. Some will report 100% even
if the battery can't hold a charge. It isn't unusual to need to
replace the battery on old laptops.

> Is this a problem with the battery itself, or did I install something
> incorrectly maybe? If I leave the laptop plugged in it works like a charm,
> but the second I take the plug out of the wall (even with the battery
> inserted into the laptop) it shuts off. As you can imagine this is
> extremely annooying and I have no idea what to do. I don't want to go out
> and purchase a new battery until I'm sure that's the issue. Any help would
> be greatly appreciated.

I think your problem is mostly likely a worn out battery that is no
longer servicable. To know for sure you will need to look at the data
for the battery.

Run this command and see what information is available:

find /proc/acpi/battery

Then print the contents of any "state" or "info" files that are shown
there. On my machine I have BAT0 and the following files. The names
of the directories may vary somewhat depending upon what BIOS and ACPI
subsystem exists on your machine. Vendors will show different units.
Pretty much every vendor will have somewhat unique data here. You
need to look at it and then deal with the result.

$ cat /proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/state
present: yes
capacity state: ok
charging state: charged
present rate: 0 mW
remaining capacity: 70010 mWh
present voltage: 12393 mV

$ cat /proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/info
present: yes
design capacity: 77760 mWh
last full capacity: 70090 mWh
battery technology: rechargeable
design voltage: 10800 mV
design capacity warning: 3504 mWh
design capacity low: 200 mWh
capacity granularity 1: 1 mWh
capacity granularity 2: 1 mWh
model number: IBM-08K8193
serial number: 107
battery type: LION
OEM info: FLT

This tells us that my battery is designed for 77 watt-hours but is
currently only holding 70 watt-hours. It is plugged into power at the
moment so so the discharge rate is zero. This shows a degradation
from new condition to 90% of design. It is a relatively new battery
and so this looks pretty good. But an old and worn out battery may
only show a last full capacity of 10 watt-hours or worse!

If you post your information about your battery then folks on this
list can help diagnose it.

Bob

Old 04-02-2011, 07:49 PM
Bob Proulx

Peter Rapisarda wrote:
> This is something I was afraid of. I have NO idea what version of debian I
> installed, and I don't know how to find out.

You can tell the version of Debian by looking at the
/etc/debian_version file.

cat /etc/debian_version

That will say one of the following:

5.0.8 -- Lenny point release 8 (current oldstable)
6.0.1 -- Squeeze point release 1 (current stable)
wheezy/sid -- Sid Unstable (daily bleeding edge bits)

> While doing the setup I don't recall it saying ANYTHING about a
> laptop and I think this has something to do with my problem.

No. There isn't anything particularly special about laptops. The
installer doesn't ask any questions specific to laptops during the
installation. It isn't needed. The device drivers in the Linux
kernel will detect if you have a battery and do the right thing.

> I ran the Dell diagnostic utility

You ran this from the BIOS at boot time? Or you ran it from a
bootable disk?

> and it goes through a few things and then I get a message "No
> diagnostic Utility Partition found. To run diagnostics insert your
> Dell "Drivers and Utilities" CD, then select OK to restart the
> system and boot off the CD".

You said you replaced the disk. The factory partition existed on the
factory disk. Your replacement disk did not have this partition.

> Thankfully I do have the CD and did exactly as the message says, but
> after a minute or two It comes up with a message "Result code:
> 0E00-0002. Msg: SYSTEM_ERROR. This system is not recogized as a
> supported Dell PC. These diagnostics may not run on unsupported
> systems." I did it a few times just to be sure and I get the same
> result every time and my battery problem has not been fixed.

Grr... Vendors can be such terrible citizens. If the disk really
does match the machine then it is probably objecting to the difference
in the size of the disk drive between the old and new. I have seen
this before myself.

But just the same even if you could run it I doubt it could "fix" your
battery problem. I think your battery is bad as a hardware problem.
Nothing in software can fix it.

> As I was explaining in another reply I did find a directory called
> /sys/class/power_supply and in there is another directory called AC.

And no directory called something like BAT0? Then your battery has
fully failed and is not responding.

> Again please excuse me if this sounds dumb but I assume has
> something to do with the AC power outlet on the computer.

Yes.

> Should there be something else in that directory with regards to a
> battery?

Yes.

The /sys is similar to and a newer interface that is also available in
/proc. On my machine:

$ find /sys/class/power_supply/BAT0
/sys/class/power_supply/BAT0
/sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/uevent
/sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/subsystem
/sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/device
/sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/power
/sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/power/wakeup
/sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/type
/sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/status
/sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/present
/sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/technology
/sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/voltage_min_design
/sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/voltage_now
/sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/current_now
/sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/energy_full_design
/sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/energy_full
/sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/energy_now
/sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/model_name
/sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/manufacturer
/sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/serial_number
/sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/alarm

> Does this have something to do with installing the "laptop version"
> of debian?

No. But it has everything to do with having a failed battery.

Bob