-   -   External screen (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-laptop/508040-external-screen.html)

Johann Spies 03-31-2011 02:17 PM

External screen

I have a Dell Latitute E6410 and have a mixture of Testing and Sid on it.* Recently I got an external Dell flatscreen.

It happened several times now that when I connect the screen to my computer while it is running, it freezes and I have to push the power button two switch if off.* This does not not always happens immediately.* It happens nearly 100% of the time that I want to use the option from the Gnome menus to (re)configure the screens.* I have more success using the following script to activate the external screen but it also leaded to a frozen computer several times:

#!/bin/sh

sudo xrandr --output DP1 --auto
sudo xrandr --output VGA1 --auto --above DP1

It is a bit frustrating.* Does anyone else have the same problem?*

It seems to me that the more Debian (or Linux for that matter) develops it more and more becomes as unstable as the operating system I was using 16 years ago before Windows 95 (which I never installed on my computers) : Windows 3.1.

Regards
Johann
--
*May grace and peace be yours in abundance through the full knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord! *His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through the full knowledge of the one who called us by his own glory and excellence.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ** *2 Pet. 1:2b,3a

Klistvud 03-31-2011 02:33 PM

External screen

I have a Dell Latitute E6410 and have a mixture of Testing and Sid on
it.

Recently I got an external Dell flatscreen.

It happened several times now that when I connect the screen to my
computer
while it is running, it freezes and I have to push the power button
two

switch if off.

You actually connect the screen *while* the computer is running?
Unmless some modern Plug'n'Pray has been invented while I've been
sleeping, the last I remember, by doing that you could fry your
monitor, or your computer, or both.

I guess that's still valid -- for the VGA port/connector at least?

<snip>

--
Cheerio,

Klistvud
http://bufferoverflow.tiddlyspot.com
me.

Chris Brennan 03-31-2011 02:50 PM

External screen

I have a Dell Latitute E6410 and have a mixture of Testing and Sid on it.

Recently I got an external Dell flatscreen.

It happened several times now that when I connect the screen to my computer

while it is running, it freezes and I have to push the power button two

switch if off.

You actually connect the screen *while* the computer is running?

Unmless some modern Plug'n'Pray has been invented while I've been sleeping, the last I remember, by doing that you could fry your monitor, or your computer, or both.

I guess that's still valid -- for the VGA port/connector at least?

<snip>

--

Cheerio,

Klistvud * * * * * * * * * * * * * * http://bufferoverflow.tiddlyspot.com

Certifiable Loonix User #481801 * * *Please reply to the list, not to me.

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/1301582016.3768.2@compax

I have an old NEC 17in monitor that I've plugged in to running systems repeatedly, for years with no ill effects and in all my years of bring a geekmonkey, I've never actually heard of that, in fact I (and several friends) was(/were) expressly taught that this behavior is safe and acceptable (It would be no different from a KVM switching one device off to activate another (by device I mean a monitor.) Aside from some*bazaar electrical issue with improperly grounded and protected devices that should be perfectly safe as your not providing power of**VGA/DVI/HDMI, so the electrical output would be easily shielded to prevent such things .... Just my $0.02 (I am not an*electrician, just basing this on ~20 yrs of experience.)

--
Did you know...
If you play a Windows 2000 CD backwards, you hear satanic messages,

but what's worse is when you play it forward....
...it installs Windows 2000

-- Alfred Perlstein on chat at freebsd.org

This is not the same as switching with a KVM. With KVM; it's as if you power on your computer. So the monitor is already connected to your computer, but the computer is powered of. Then you power on your computer and the monitor detects the video signal. This is what happens when you switch the KVM.

Plugging and unplugging the screen is not the same as KVM, and yes; you could fry both ends. You should use a docking station instead.

Cheers!

Ray Padje 03-31-2011 08:30 PM

External screen

Hello!

My old laptop is the same as yours, running debian testing/sid with an
ATI card and the radeon drivers. I always have a 17" LCD plugged as
external monitor (and yes, sometimes I plug it WHILE the computer is
running) without any problems. Which video card is in your laptop?
I have to say that the one I've received from my employeer is running
intel and this behavior that you describe happens also to me when I plug
an external monitor.

[...]

'cddooc'.
.cxko;,,,;lxx:.
;xl' cOx'