Old 03-07-2011, 10:44 PM
Virgil Brummond

Default Disk continually spins down even on AC

All the bug reports on the disk spin down issue are marked solved and
archived except for one. I am not sure if that is the real problem or
not.

Basically the symptoms are on an install of Debian Testing (fully
upgraded). Hdparm states that my disk's power level is 128. Even on AC
it constantly spins up and spins down. This leads to a lot of disk
clicking and load cycling, which lowers disk life. On Ubuntu Maverick
the default is 254 I believe, and I do not have this issue. (Not
comparing the two, I just do not understand where the problem lies).
Both Debian testing and Ubuntu have the problem with pm-utils
conflicting with laptop-mode-tools.

Is there a reason that the disk is not setting appropriate levels by
default, I would think that it would only desire to spin down on battery
power and not on AC.

If I manually add "hdparm -B 254 /dev/sda" to /etc/rc.local this issue
is worked around. Note I do not have laptop-mode installed, and my point
is I really do not want spin-down at all, and at worst only on battery.

Thank you for your time, and I hope I can help nail down this issue. The
workaround will be enough for now.

-- Virgil

Old 03-08-2011, 07:30 AM
Klistvud