Old 02-07-2008, 01:48 AM
Baz

Default Thinkpad t61p

Anyone have Debian (Etch, Lenny, Sid) running on this relatively new Thinkpad?* Sebastian

--
"...heart and soul....one will burn."
- Joy Division

Old 02-07-2008, 02:58 AM
Jon Leonard

On Wed, Feb 06, 2008 at 06:48:56PM -0800, Baz wrote:
> Anyone have Debian (Etch, Lenny, Sid) running on this relatively new
> Thinkpad? Sebastian

That's what I'm using right now now (Stable on my T61p).

It took me a while to build up the courage to replace the bootloader,
since GRUB will break the windows reinstall stuff. Well, it still
works, but as a GRUB menu item instead of with the ThinkVantage button.

Getting the wireless working required some extra stuff:
apt-get install firmware-ipw3945
apt-get install ipw3945d
I had to rebuild the modules (ipw3945-modules-2.6.18-5-686) because they
don't seem to be updated for the most recent security-patched kernel.
Not a big deal, though.

I don't have sound working, mostly because I haven't bothered yet.

The standard reference for such things is ThinkWiki:
http://thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki

I'm pretty happy with it; It's a worthy replacement for my trusty old A21p.

Jon Leonard

Old 02-07-2008, 03:31 AM
"L. A. Linden Levy "

I am running etch/sid on my new X61.

Old 02-07-2008, 11:26 AM

Le 13916ième jour après Epoch,
Jon Leonard écrivait:

> On Wed, Feb 06, 2008 at 06:48:56PM -0800, Baz wrote:
>> Anyone have Debian (Etch, Lenny, Sid) running on this relatively new
>> Thinkpad? Sebastian
>
> That's what I'm using right now now (Stable on my T61p).

I'm using Lenny with kernel 2.6.23-1-686.

All works fine, but I've not tested/used:

- the internal modem
- the thinkfinger fingerprint reader
- the suspend 2 ram feature (I hibernate on disk)
- the 3D accel on the NVidia (I use vesa for now, in 1920x1600)

> I don't have sound working, mostly because I haven't bothered yet.

Sound is included in the kernel since 2.6.19 if I remember correctly.

Old 02-07-2008, 02:08 PM
"Franklin PIAT"

Hello,

On Thu, February 7, 2008 03:48, Baz wrote:
> Anyone have Debian (Etch, Lenny, Sid) running on this relatively new
> Thinkpad? Sebastian

You can find my reports for both Etch and Lenny on :
http://www.klabs.be/~fpiat/linux/debian/

(Etch will support the T61 much better once 4.0r4 "etch and a Half"
will be released).

Franklin

Old 02-07-2008, 10:05 PM
"Jimmy Wu"

On Feb 6, 2008 9:48 PM, Baz <bazciscor@gmail.com> wrote:
> Anyone have Debian (Etch, Lenny, Sid) running on this relatively new
> Thinkpad? Sebastian

I have a very young installation of sid running on a T61 (not a T61p,
but pretty close)
Everything works fine, but I haven't messed with wifi or sound yet.
>From what I hear, the madwifi driver works fine for wireless, and
sound should work out of the box in kernel 2.6.23. The strange thing
is I haven't gotten any sound out of mine yet, but then again, I
haven't found any sound files to play.

Nvidia-glx driver from the debian repos works fine, but the T61 has a
different card from the T61p, so that probably doesn't help.

cpu frequency scaling seems to be built in, and acpi / most of the Fn
key combinations seem to work (haven't tested all the keys or any sort
of suspend/hibernate, mainly because I haven't figured out how to get
that option in xfce)

Anyways, that's all I have for now
--
Jimmy Wu
Registered Linux User #454138

Old 02-08-2008, 01:56 AM
Baz

On Feb 7, 2008 7:08 AM, Franklin PIAT <fpiat@bigfoot.com> wrote:

Hello,

On Thu, February 7, 2008 03:48, Baz wrote:
> Anyone have Debian (Etch, Lenny, Sid) running on this relatively new
> Thinkpad? *Sebastian

You can find my reports for both Etch and Lenny on :

http://www.klabs.be/~fpiat/linux/debian/

(Etch will support the T61 much better once 4.0r4 "etch and a Half"
will be released).

Franklin

Thanks Franklin.* Any estimate on when 4.0r4 will be released?* Regards, Sebastian
--
"...heart and soul....one will burn."

- Joy Division

Old 02-08-2008, 05:40 AM
Franklin PIAT

On Thu, 2008-02-07 at 18:56 -0800, Baz wrote:
> On Feb 7, 2008 7:08 AM, Franklin PIAT <fpiat@bigfoot.com> wrote
> > On Thu, February 7, 2008 03:48, Baz wrote:
> > > Anyone have Debian (Etch, Lenny, Sid) running on this
> > > relatively new Thinkpad? Sebastian
> >

> > You can find my reports for both Etch and Lenny on :
> > http://www.klabs.be/~fpiat/linux/debian/
> (Etch will support the T61 much better once 4.0r4 "etch and a Half"
> will be released).
>
> Thanks Franklin. Any estimate on when 4.0r4 will be released?
> Regards, Sebastian

I haven't seen any figure, but I guess it should be shipped in a few
month.
In between, you can still use Etch (you won't have to make any specific
action to switch to 4.0r4, except usual apt-get update and upgrade).
Of course, if you planned to use [testing|sid], it's ready, but they
have more bugs than [stable] (Debian/Etch).

Frnaklin