Old 02-01-2011, 07:52 AM
Gerald Turner

Default Debug hibernate/resume failure?

Hello, I've been running squeeze/testing on my Asus 1000HE for well over
a year, it's been solid - I've probably hibernated and resumed a hundred
consecutive times over a six month period without ever shutting down
(well... maybe had trouble with bluetooth not working after a resume a
long time ago). Big thank you to Debian Laptop/EeePC hackers!

However since upgrading packages a few weeks ago, resume from hibernate
no longer works.

I need help figuring out how to debug it since I don't have much info to
provide for a bug report at the moment.

Suspend/resume from ram works fine.

Hibernate/resume fails 9 times out of 10.

I've taken out the 'quiet' parameter from grub, and during hibernation I
see kernel console output about freezing, ticking away (takes a few
seconds), and during resume I see similar messages about loading the
image - once it reaches 100% it blurts out a few more lines of kernel
messages and spontaneously reboots (without trying to resume again).

I've tried adding 'no_console_suspend=1 panic=10' parameters to grub,
hoping that it would pause 10 seconds before the reboot so I could read
the full message. No luck.

The only boot/kernel/PM related packages I had upgraded a few weeks ago
are:

grub-pc 1.98+20100804-13 -> 1.98+20100804-14
linux-image-2.6.32-5-686 2.6.32-27 -> 2.6.32-30
pm-utils 1.3.0-2 -> 1.3.0-3

Oh one more thing out of the ordinary:

After this upgrade (possibly during!), I wasn't very careful - I may
have suspended to ram and let the battery drain. A few days later when
I booted up, grub complained it couldn't find the kernel and initrd
images. I entered grub commands manually and got it to boot (though had
to use /vmlinuz instead of full path /boot/vmlinux-2..., otherwise "not
found" - fs corruption?). Once booted back in, ran 'dpkg-reconfigure
linux-image-2.6.32-5-686' and 'dpkg-reconfigure grub-pc', grub problem
solved - but this is also when hibernate-resume started failing.

Any tips for having failed resume pause a moment before spontaneously
rebooting, or any other debugging advice?

--
Gerald Turner Email: gturner@unzane.com JID: gturner@unzane.com
GPG: 0xFA8CD6D5 21D9 B2E8 7FE7 F19E 5F7D 4D0C 3FA0 810F FA8C D6D5

Old 02-09-2011, 01:54 PM
Paolo Casaschi

I have the same problem on an MSI WInd U100.

Resume from hibernate fails most of the time (it works slightly better
on AC power than on battery though), with the netbook reading from
disk the hibernate image and then rebooting to a fresh start.
It's on a fresh installation of squeeze.
Hibernate used to work flawlessly on my old lenny setup.

--
Paolo

Old 02-09-2011, 03:25 PM
Alexander Batischev

I have similar trouble with my Asus EeePC 900HA. Sometimes after hibernate it
loads image (HDD led lit), then just show me black screen (tty, I suppose, but
there's nothing in there). I use REISUB to reboot - which means I also lose my
hibernation image and have to start all the applications up again. Probability
to get in trouble raising each time I hibernate and resume.

I didn't investigate any time in debugging that because I have no idea from
where to start. And as far as I always had Squeeze on that machine I have no
idea did it work in Lenny or so.

As for suspend, I use it pretty rarely and I don't remember any troubles with
it.

Alexander Batischev

1024D/69093C81
F870 A381 B5F5 D2A1 1B35 4D63 A1A7 1C77 6909 3C81