Old 01-19-2011, 01:45 PM
"A. F. Cano"

Default Problems with vaio PCG-6J2L (aka VGN-SZ120P) More info...

On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 08:07:13PM -0500, I wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 01, 2011 at 12:45:50PM +0100, Klistvud wrote:
> > Dne, 01. 01. 2011 07:28:22 je A. F. Cano napisal(a):
> >> Hello and happy new year,
> >>
> >> I'm trying to determine if this Sony Vaio PCG-6J2L, which according to
> >> a web search is "known in the west as VGN-SZ120P", has a bad video
> >> card/
> >> chip (Nvidia 7400go) or the problem is a driver issue. The machine
> > Is this a second-hand laptop or what? Your best and fastest bet is to
>
> Exactly.

After more tests, including wiping the HD and installing squeeze from
the live system USB image, it is now obvious that the problem is bad
hardware. The install completed but the network setup mysteriously
didn't let me set up the network manually. This could be a bug in the
install, but it's more likely a MB problem.

There is random display behavior on different starts: letterbox display,
full display, different kinds of garbage, some times the boot doesn't
complete.

I bought the Sony recovery disk, hoping to use the built-in diagnostics.
The disks installed correctly, but the resulting windows os never
completes a boot, so the diagnostics are not even accessible.

So, it looks like that's it, short of new HW. Thanks for the original
reply.

A.