Old 02-03-2008, 10:16 PM
Celejar

Default Wireless still broken after fresh install

On Sun, 3 Feb 2008 14:05:23 -0900
Dallas Hansen <commercial_d@hotmail.com> wrote:

> The network-manager-gnome applet is showing a red circle with a line through it and it will not give me wireless, even though networks are detected in the list. Previously wireless worked flawlessly after installation. I would suspect a hardware issue but I have no trouble using wireless after booting in XP (my emergency partition).

We need diagnostic / error messages; use command line tools. Output of
'iwlist $YOUR_INTERFACE scan', 'iwconfig', ifconfig, etc

> The machine is a ThinkPad T30 2.0ghz with 512mb RAM.

We need information such as the wireless chipset, driver used, dmesg
output, etc

Celejar

Old 02-04-2008, 02:04 AM

Dallas Hansen wrote:
> The network-manager-gnome applet is showing a red circle with a line
> through it and it will not give me wireless, even though networks
> are detected in the list. Previously wireless worked flawlessly
> after installation. I would suspect a hardware issue but I have no
> trouble using wireless after booting in XP (my emergency partition).
>
> The machine is a ThinkPad T30 2.0ghz with 512mb RAM.

What type of wifi device do you have? Is it the Intel 2200BG or
similar? If so then you will need to install the firmware for the
device into /lib/firmware. The firmware blobs do not meet the Debian
Free Software Guidelines and therefore cannot be included in Debian.

http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net/

You do not need to recompile the driver or anything crazy. Simply
copy the three .fw firmware files into /lib/firmware. Download the
v3.0 firmware here:

http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net/firmware.php

The whole process looks something like this:

wget 'http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net/firmware.php?i_agree_to_the_license=yes&f=ipw2200-fw-3.0.tgz'
tar xzvf ipw2200-fw-3.0.tgz
cd ipw2200-fw-3.0
pager LICENSE.ipw2200-fw
cp ipw2200-bss.fw ipw2200-ibss.fw ipw2200-sniffer.fw /lib/firmware/

Bob

Old 02-04-2008, 02:23 AM
"Naresh Venkateshappa"

Hello,

I run Debian (amd64) lenny. I've got the Intel 3945 wireless
network controller.
Earlier I had a 2.6.22 kernel and installing firmware-ipw3945,
ipw3945-modules-2.6-amd64 and ipw3945d worked for me.
Now I use the 2.6.23 kernel. It doesn't work anymore. How do I fix this?

Thanks,
Naresh

--
Naresh V

nareshov@iitk.ac.in

Old 02-04-2008, 09:19 AM
Stuart Prescott

Hi Naresh,

> I run Debian (amd64) lenny. I've got the Intel 3945 wireless
> network controller.
> Earlier I had a 2.6.22 kernel and installing firmware-ipw3945,
> ipw3945-modules-2.6-amd64 and ipw3945d worked for me.
> Now I use the 2.6.23 kernel. It doesn't work anymore. How do I fix this?

Debian's 2.6.23 kernel has the iwlwifi driver in it already. You can:

aptitude install firmware-iwlwifi
modprobe iwl3945

and then configure your wireless as before. The iwlwifi driver replaces the
ipw3945 driver and doesn't need the binary regulatory daemon. (ipw3945d).

I'm not sure if you are able to still use ipw3945 with Debian's 2.6.23 kernel
but I imagine that it is possible. You would need to compile it yourself
using module-assistant. Something like this *should* work:

aptitude install module-assistant
m-a prepare
m-a a-i ipw3945

Good luck!
Stuart

--
Stuart Prescott www.nanoNANOnano.net

Old 02-04-2008, 11:04 AM
Didier Raboud

Naresh Venkateshappa wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I run Debian (amd64) lenny. I've got the Intel 3945 wireless
> network controller.
> Earlier I had a 2.6.22 kernel and installing firmware-ipw3945,
> ipw3945-modules-2.6-amd64 and ipw3945d worked for me.
> Now I use the 2.6.23 kernel. It doesn't work anymore. How do I fix this?
>
> Thanks,
> Naresh

Hi,

from 2.6.23, iwlwifi (new, without binary blob) is used for these wireless
cards.

See http://wiki.debian.org/iwlwifi

Regards,

Didier