Old 02-03-2008, 09:08 AM
Dallas Hansen

Default ThinkPad CPU 53-60C

I'm running Debian Etch 4.0r2 on my ThinkPad T30, 512mb ram. Noticing it felt hot under light-to-moderate CPU loads, I installed the Gnome Hardware Sensors Monitor applet which indicates average CPU temperatures between 53-60C, putting it within the applet's red zone. Is this a healthy or acceptable temerature range or should I take action? I have heard it suggested that I open the box and blast the CPU fan with compressed air, which I will do, but is there any software-related solution that will increase the fan's speed under higher temperatures? Under previous Linux installations (Ubuntu, Suse, Mepis) and Windows the fan's speed would vary but under Debian Etch it remains constant.

-D. Hansen
Helping your favorite cause is as easy as instant messaging.*You IM, we give.

Old 02-03-2008, 09:51 AM
Patricia Fraser

Hi,

> I'm running Debian Etch 4.0r2 on my ThinkPad T30, 512mb ram. Noticing
> it felt hot under light-to-moderate CPU loads, I installed the Gnome
> Hardware Sensors Monitor applet which indicates average CPU
> temperatures between 53-60C, putting it within the applet's red
> zone. Is this a healthy or acceptable temerature range or should I
> take action? I have heard it suggested that I open the box and blast
> the CPU fan with compressed air, which I will do, but is there any
> software-related solution that will increase the fan's speed under
> higher temperatures? Under previous Linux installations (Ubuntu,
> Suse, Mepis) and Windows the fan's speed would vary but under Debian
> Etch it remains constant.

I've been using a script called tp-fancontrol on my T30 for ages with
great success: you'll find it here:

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/ACPI_fan_control_script

I generally boost the fan at any temp from 45 on - you can change the
temp thresholds and the fan speeds in the script to suit. I've used it
under Debian, Mandriva and PCLinuxOS with no problems. On the T30 which
runs Debian I've got a script in /etc/init.d which is called in most
runlevels. You'll need to do something similar - run it as root - to get
access to the fan.

You need to set ibm-acpi experimental=1 to have access to the fan; see
here: http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Ibm-acpi

Hope this helps!

--
Trish Fraser, GWQTF RP4GD
Sun Feb 3 10:45:11 GMT 2008

Old 02-03-2008, 06:10 PM
Patricia Fraser

Hi Dallas,

I'm redirecting this to the list, in case it's useful for someone else.

> Pardon my newbness, but after installing the tp-fancontrol script
> in /usr/bin I get this when I try to run it:
>
> thinkpad:/home/string# tp-fancontrol
> grep: /proc/acpi/ibm/fan: No such file or directory
> grep: /proc/acpi/ibm/fan: No such file or directory
> 4270: old priority 0, new priority -10
> > Starting dynamic fan control
> cat: /sys/block/hda/device/model: No such file or directory
> > Shutting down, switching to automatic fan control
> /usr/bin/tp-fancontrol: line 258: /proc/acpi/ibm/ecdump: No such file
> or directory

This means that the experimental switch for ibm-acpi isn't on yet. You
need to add this line

options ibm_acpi experimental=1

to /etc/modules.conf, so that it will happen on each reboot.

To get this working before the next reboot, use

modprobe ibm_acpi experimental=1

as root.

If you take a look at the link I sent earlier, you'll see a version of
the tp-fancontrol script that's useful as a Debian init script; if you
use that, you then need to make links in the various /etc/rc?.d
directories so that it starts in the runlevels you want.

Cheers!

--
Trish Fraser, GWQTF RP4GD
Sun Feb 3 19:03:11 GMT 2008

Old 02-03-2008, 08:54 PM
Dallas Hansen

I added the "options" line to /etc/modprobe.conf but was getting error messages at boot (thinkpad-acpi module doesn't exist) and found that, after booting, networking (both wired and wireless) was broken and I could no longer mount my fat32 external HD.

I've been forced to reinstall Etch. Unless I can come across very clear & precise step-by-step instructions for running & configuring the thinkpad-acpi module and installing & configuring the tp-fancontrol script I will have to forgo any further tinkering so as to avoid breaking my system again.

> Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2008 19:10:08 +0000
> From: trish@thefrasers.org
> To: debian-laptop@lists.debian.org
> Subject: Re: ThinkPad CPU 53-60C
>
> Hi Dallas,
>
> I'm redirecting this to the list, in case it's useful for someone else.
>
> > Pardon my newbness, but after installing the tp-fancontrol script
> > in /usr/bin I get this when I try to run it:
> >
> > thinkpad:/home/string# tp-fancontrol
> > grep: /proc/acpi/ibm/fan: No such file or directory
> > grep: /proc/acpi/ibm/fan: No such file or directory
> > 4270: old priority 0, new priority -10
> > > Starting dynamic fan control
> > cat: /sys/block/hda/device/model: No such file or directory
> > > Shutting down, switching to automatic fan control
> > /usr/bin/tp-fancontrol: line 258: /proc/acpi/ibm/ecdump: No such file
> > or directory
>

> This means that the experimental switch for ibm-acpi isn't on yet. You
> need to add this line
>
> options ibm_acpi experimental=1
>
> to /etc/modules.conf, so that it will happen on each reboot.
>
> To get this working before the next reboot, use
>
> modprobe ibm_acpi experimental=1
>
> as root.
>
> If you take a look at the link I sent earlier, you'll see a version of
> the tp-fancontrol script that's useful as a Debian init script; if you
> use that, you then need to make links in the various /etc/rc?.d
> directories so that it starts in the runlevels you want.
>
> Cheers!
>
> --
> Trish Fraser, GWQTF RP4GD
> Sun Feb 3 19:03:11 GMT 2008
> GNU/Linux 1997-2007 #283226 counter.li.org
> perseus up 10 hour(s), 50 min, 57 sec
> kernel 2.6.18.8.tex5
> --

Helping your favorite cause is as easy as instant messaging.*You IM, we give. Learn more.

Old 02-03-2008, 09:57 PM
Patricia Fraser

Hi Dallas,

> I added the "options" line to /etc/modprobe.conf but was getting
> error messages at boot (thinkpad-acpi module doesn't exist) and found
> that, after booting, networking (both wired and wireless) was broken
> and I could no longer mount my fat32 external HD.

Ack! If the module doesn't exist, then you might need to try apt-get
install ibm-acpi, and then use module-assistant.

At this stage I'd suggest you subscribe to the Debian-user list, to get
some more help just with configuring Debian, if you haven't done so
already - and ask some of your questions there too. There would seem to
be a bigger pool of experienced people there.

Also, the thinkwiki site I've mentioned before is very useful!

> I've been forced to reinstall Etch. Unless I can come across very
> clear & precise step-by-step instructions for running & configuring
> the thinkpad-acpi module and installing & configuring the
> tp-fancontrol script I will have to forgo any further tinkering so as
> to avoid breaking my system again.

You're probably wise... 8-) The tp-fancontrol script works fine, so
long as:

* the ibm-acpi module is loaded, with the experimental option set
* it is run as/setuid root (because it needs this to get access to the
fan control) - so loaded as an init script.

You might need to get a bit more reading done on the way the init
scripts work in Debian, before you try again.

All the best, and sorry I couldn't be of more help.

--
Trish Fraser, GWQTF RP4GD
Sun Feb 3 22:51:29 GMT 2008

Old 02-03-2008, 10:01 PM

Dallas Hansen wrote:
> I added the "options" line to /etc/modprobe.conf but was getting
> error messages at boot (thinkpad-acpi module doesn't exist) and

It is not a fatal problem. The module did not exist for you and so
nothing was happening because of that config file line.

> found that, after booting, networking (both wired and wireless) was
> broken and I could no longer mount my fat32 external HD.

What changes were made that caused this to happen?

> I've been forced to reinstall Etch. Unless I can come across very
> clear & precise step-by-step instructions for running & configuring
> the thinkpad-acpi module and installing & configuring the
> tp-fancontrol script I will have to forgo any further tinkering so
> as to avoid breaking my system again.

Etch uses the 2.6.18 kernel. In 2.6.22 the ibm-acpi module was
renamed to thinkpad-acpi due to the sale of thinkpads from IBM to
Lenovo since thinkpads are not IBM anymore.

In Etch and with any kernel before 2.6.22 the module is ibm-acpi. In
2.6.22 and later for the current Lenny and Sid it is thinkpad-acpi.

If you change all references for thinkpad-acpi to ibm-acpi you should
be good to go for use on the 2.6.18 kernel in Etch.

Bob