Old 11-26-2010, 03:29 PM
Gérard Robin

Default lenny -> squeeze, questions ...

Hello,
I would like to migrate to squeeze but I have a few questions :
(My box is a laptop acer aspire 5102 wlmi )
Currently I use lenny and linux-image 2.6.30 and all work fine.
I have installed linux-image-2.6.32-5-686 and after that "cdcd" doesn't
work fine. The CD are read but no sound. The same problem arises with
"grip" but "sound-juicer" works fine and does about the same things that
"grip" does. Does someone know an equivalent to "cdcd" which works fine with
squeeze ? (which comes with linux-image-2.6.32-5-686)

tia
--
Gérard

Old 11-26-2010, 03:50 PM
Alexey A Nikitin

2010/11/26 Gérard Robin <g.robin3@free.fr>

> Hello,
> I would like to migrate to squeeze but I have a few questions :
> (My box is a laptop acer aspire 5102 wlmi )
> Currently I use lenny and linux-image 2.6.30 and all work fine.
> I have installed linux-image-2.6.32-5-686 and after that "cdcd" doesn't
> work fine. The CD are read but no sound. The same problem arises with
> "grip" but "sound-juicer" works fine and does about the same things that
> "grip" does. Does someone know an equivalent to "cdcd" which works fine with
> squeeze ? (which comes with linux-image-2.6.32-5-686)
> tia

Hi, Gerard.

If you want to find an alternative to certain package you can always
go to http://packages.debian.org, open page with package you want to
replace and on the right side there is list of similar packages. For
example here are the results I got for cdcd in Squeeze:

cdtool: http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/cdtool
mdcp: http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/mcdp

Best,

Alexey

--
This message was created with 100% recycled electrons

Old 11-27-2010, 09:51 AM
Paul eger

Or search the repository:

apt-cache search command line cd player

Old 11-27-2010, 11:32 AM
Gérard Robin

> I would like to migrate to squeeze but I have a few questions :
> (My box is a laptop acer aspire 5102 wlmi )
> Currently I use lenny and linux-image 2.6.30 and all work fine.
> I have installed linux-image-2.6.32-5-686 and after that "cdcd" doesn't
> work fine. The CD are read but no sound. The same problem arises with
> "grip" but "sound-juicer" works fine and does about the same things
> that "grip" does. Does someone know an equivalent to "cdcd" which
> works fine with squeeze ? (which comes with linux-image-2.6.32-5-686)
> tia

Hi, Gerard.

If you want to find an alternative to certain package you can always
go to http://packages.debian.org, open page with package you want to
replace and on the right side there is list of similar packages. For
example here are the results I got for cdcd in Squeeze:

cdtool: http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/cdtool
mdcp: http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/mcdp

Thanks Paul,
"apt-cache search command line cd player" gives cdcd
but I have tried cdtool and mcdp recommanded by Alexey and the problem
is the same as cdcd. (thanks to Alexey)
Finally I stick with lenny and the kernel 2.6.30 (or 2.6.26)
I feel that listening music on command line is no longer fashionable.

--
Gérard

Old 11-27-2010, 03:58 PM
Alexey A Nikitin

2010/11/27 Gérard Robin <g.robin3@free.fr>
> Finally I stick with lenny and the kernel 2.6.30 (or 2.6.26)
> I feel that listening music on command line is no longer fashionable.

It has nothing to do with fashion.

I normally rip all my CDs in FLAC and play them from library but
intrigued by your issue tried to play music directly from CD and got
same results - disc spins up but no sound. I found that some players
spin CD up with no sound even in GUI - that's, for example, the result
I got in Amarok. But I got good results with SMPlayer as well as bare
command-line mplayer. The command to play CD with mplayer is "mplayer
cdda://" to play the whole thing, "mplayer cdda://3" to play only
third track, etc., you can look it up in man. I've had to do couple
tweaks to get mine working properly, namely I changed "ao=alsa," to
"ao=pulse" and uncommented "cache=8192" line in
/etc/mplayer/mplayer.conf.

While browsing around I noticed people saying that DAE has hit on
drive throughput as well as CPU load but in my case CD is on separate
controller from SSD and it takes less then 1% of the CPU, my only
concern is mplayer's memory footprint.

I know I had CDDA working without DAE before on my ThinkPad (couple
years ago when I was still under Windows) so maybe it has something to
do with PulseAudio, I'm not sure. I remember that I had install
PulseAudio manually after upgrade to Squeeze, so unless you did the
same issue is most likely with ALSA.

Best,

Alexey

--
This message was created with 100% recycled electrons

Old 11-28-2010, 06:28 PM
Eric S Fraga

Gérard Robin <g.robin3@free.fr> writes:

[...]

> I feel that listening music on command line is no longer fashionable.

It may not be fashionable (although I am not sure how this has been
quantified) but it's my preferred way of listening to music on a
computer. I use moc, by the way.

--
Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D)

Old 11-30-2010, 11:51 PM
Gérard Robin

I feel that listening music on command line is no longer fashionable.

It may not be fashionable (although I am not sure how this has been
quantified) but it's my preferred way of listening to music on a
computer. I use moc, by the way.

I use moc also for the ogg, wav, flac ... it's a very good software. But it works
fine with squeeze or sid, while cdcd, cdtool, mcdp ... them, do not work
properly with squeeze. I wonder if they will be kept in squeeze ?

--
Gérard