Old 11-19-2010, 12:25 AM
Alexey Nikitin

Default Debian 64 on Thinkpad T61p freezes on resume from hibernation

Hi everyone.

I have ThinkPad T61p with nVidia Quadro FX570m running Debian Squeeze
AMD64 with liquorix kernel and proprietary nVidia driver. Suspend to
RAM works flawlessly, but not suspend-to-disk.

When I tell it to hibernate in KDE it appears to write some big chunk
of info on disk and then shutdown. When I press the power button to
resume here is what happens:
1) machine goes through POST, gets to GRUB, loads kernel;
2) moment after GRUB's "Loading" message screen goes black with
blinking cursor in the left top corner while showing disk activity;
3) after few seconds machine makes short beep and disk activity
indicator turns off;
4) after few more seconds machine makes long beep and black screen
with blinking cursor changes to completely blank screen;
5) at this point machine doesn't respond to anything but holding power
button for 4 seconds, not even the magic SysRq.

Logs don't seem to show anything related to thawing after hibernation,
only successful hibernation and then boot after holding power for 4
seconds, so I suspect there may be problem with mounting disks. I do
have / on LVM and liquorix kernel, but I had exactly the same problem
while using usual / and /home partitions and stock Debian testing
kernel.

I've searched mailing lists and forums for days, but so far I'm yet to
solve this issue. I would greatly appreciate if someone can help me
find the solution.

Best,
Alexey
--
This message was created with 100% recycled electrons

Old 11-19-2010, 01:14 AM
Alexey A Nikitin

2010/11/18 Alexey A Nikitin wrote:
> 5) at this point machine doesn't respond to anything but holding power
> button for 4 seconds, not even the magic SysRq.

Well, guess what - thanks to fgarcia101's post at
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=56324&p=327663 I learned
that apparently I'm too impatient, as after almost four minutes and
two more long beeps system finally resumed, taking eight times longer
than from cold boot to desktop. I guess issue is partially resolved.

It's already good to be able to fold notebook in the middle of the
work and be sure that you can continue your work an hour later without
relaunching whole bunch of programs. Still, is there any way to speed
up resume so that it will be at least comparable time-wise to cold
boot?

Best,
Alexey
--
This message was created with 100% recycled electrons

Old 11-19-2010, 07:48 AM
Klistvud