Old 11-15-2010, 02:47 AM
Jan Hetges

Default external harddrive not power down on suspend

on my msi wind netbook i've been tracking sid for about two years.
generally everything works fine, which i'm very grateful for.
when i suspend my laptop with a external(usb) hd connected, it doesn't
power down so i can't disconnect it without rouining the mechanics over
time. is this possibly a bug in gnome-power-manager?
thank you

--Jan

Old 11-15-2010, 06:24 AM
Dale

On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 21:47:23 -0600
Jan Hetges <tran@ms20.net> wrote:

> on my msi wind netbook i've been tracking sid for about two years.
> generally everything works fine, which i'm very grateful for.
> when i suspend my laptop with a external(usb) hd connected, it doesn't
> power down so i can't disconnect it without rouining the mechanics over
> time. is this possibly a bug in gnome-power-manager?
> thank you
>
> --Jan

Hi

If you are suspending to ram I have the same with my acer aspire 4810T
that there is still power to the USB ports. I think the reason for
this is cause your generally not going to have the laptop suspended for
long before you are going to use it again to continue off were you left
it at before.

If you hibernate the laptop there should no power going to the USB
ports.

IMHO it is not a bug in the power management.

--
Best Regards
Dale

[WWW] http://quail.southernvaleslug.org/
[SOBER] http://quail.southernvaleslug.org/clean/
"Computers are incredibly fast, accurate and stupid; humans are
incredibly slow, inaccurate and brilliant; together they are powerful
beyond imagination." - Albert Einstein

Old 11-17-2010, 08:13 AM
"Selim T. Erdogan"

Dale, 15.11.2010 tarihinde şöyle yazmış:

> If you hibernate the laptop there should no power going to the USB
> ports.

That's not always true. My laptop supplies power to the USB ports
even when off. (It's an Averatec 3250HX.)