Old 11-10-2010, 07:17 AM
Dotan Cohen

Default Terminal highlighting (ls for example) with dark background

VIM has a terriffic feature for switching to a highlighting scheme
that is fit for a dark background: ":set background=dark". Without
having to define each and every colour, is there not such a feature
for bash? I've been googling, but not finding, such a thing for some
time.

In the absence of such a feature, I would love to see how some of the
wiser amoung the list members have their colours set. I have been
playing around with it for a while, I've never come to anything really
satisfactory on the Dell laptop with it's terrible LCD screen.

Thanks!

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

Old 11-10-2010, 08:41 AM
Alexander Batischev

On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 10:17:25AM +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> VIM has a terriffic feature for switching to a highlighting scheme
> that is fit for a dark background: ":set background=dark". Without
> having to define each and every colour, is there not such a feature
> for bash? I've been googling, but not finding, such a thing for some
> time.
>
> In the absence of such a feature, I would love to see how some of the
> wiser amoung the list members have their colours set. I have been
> playing around with it for a while, I've never come to anything really
> satisfactory on the Dell laptop with it's terrible LCD screen.
>
> Thanks!

There's no such feature in bash (and any other shell) as far as I know. I'm
using standard colorscheme with one exception - I redefined directories to be
"black on white", because default dark blue color is almost invisible on a
black background. You can get my ~/.dir_colors here[1], and it can be applied
as follows:

eval `dircolors ~/.dir_colors`

Put this line somewhere in ~/.bashrc and enjoy!

1. http://dumpz.org/14522/text/

Alexander Batischev

1024D/69093C81
F870 A381 B5F5 D2A1 1B35 4D63 A1A7 1C77 6909 3C81

Old 11-10-2010, 09:10 AM
Dotan Cohen

On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 11:41, Alexander Batischev
> because default dark blue color is almost invisible on a
> black background.

Exactly my issue.

Thanks.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

Old 11-10-2010, 05:37 PM
Simon Ward

On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 10:17:25AM +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> VIM has a terriffic feature for switching to a highlighting scheme
> that is fit for a dark background: ":set background=dark". Without
> having to define each and every colour, is there not such a feature
> for bash? I've been googling, but not finding, such a thing for some
> time.

I would (and do) set this up in the terminal emulator itself. With the
Gnome terminal (and presumably Konsole too) you can have colour profiles
(there are probably a number of profiles set up already). With xterm
and rxvt derivatives, you can set colours in your .Xresources files.

> In the absence of such a feature, I would love to see how some of the
> wiser amoung the list members have their colours set. I have been
> playing around with it for a while, I've never come to anything really
> satisfactory on the Dell laptop with it's terrible LCD screen.

You don’t have to set every colour, but I do. I have some colour
schemes for urxvt here, mostly ripped from other terminal emulators:

http://bleah.co.uk/~simon/desktop/_Xresources.d/

Note: I include .Xresources.d/urxvt-colours in my .Xresources file.

I haven’t done this, but with urxvt I should be able to have both a
light and a dark colour scheme and be able to switch it with a key
press.

Simon
simple system that works.—John Gall

Old 11-10-2010, 09:32 PM
Dotan Cohen

On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 20:37, Simon Ward <simon@bleah.co.uk> wrote:
> I would (and do) set this up in the terminal emulator itself. *With the
> Gnome terminal (and presumably Konsole too) you can have colour profiles
> (there are probably a number of profiles set up already).

You are 100% right, and I am a fool for overlooking this! After
setting Konsole to use it's built-in "Dark Pastels" colour profile,
everything (including directories in ls output) is readable.

Thank you Simon!

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il