Old 11-09-2010, 02:36 AM
Carl Fink

Default Problem with netbook trackpad: random clicks and motion

I have a Gateway LT3013U netbook. I have successfully installed Debian (the
regular distro, not any special netbook version) on it. Everything works
flawlessly, except the touchpad. If I place my finger on the touchpad and
drag from the center to the left, the mouse pointer flies to the top right
then "teleports" to a random location, while simultaneously both right- and
left-clicking at great speed. If I have the GNOME desktop exposed, I end up
with multiple new folders on it, because the mouse clicking opens the option
menu then immediately selects the first item, "Create Folder".

I've done quite a bit of 'net research, and tried various fixes found there,
including creating a xorg.conf and adding sections to it, to no avail. I
checked the archives of this list and debian-user as best I could, but the
search engine frankly isn't very helpful.

Data point: synclient reports that it can't find a Synaptics touchpad.

Data point: the output of 'cat /proc/bus/usb/input/devices' contains
neither Synaptics, Elantech nor ALPS. It is detected as a PS/2 mouse.

I tried following the instructions at
http://wiki.debian.org/SynapticsTouchpad without success.

I am running Debian Squeeze, freshly updated this morning. The xorg
synaptics driver is installed.

A USB mouse works fine.

I would be grateful for any help.
--
Carl Fink nitpicking@nitpicking.com

Stupid mistakes you can correct!

Old 11-09-2010, 08:26 AM
Alexander Reichle-Schmehl

Hi Carl!

Am 09.11.2010 04:36, schrieb Carl Fink:
> I have a Gateway LT3013U netbook.[..]

> Data point: synclient reports that it can't find a Synaptics touchpad.
>
> Data point: the output of 'cat /proc/bus/usb/input/devices' contains
> neither Synaptics, Elantech nor ALPS. It is detected as a PS/2 mouse.

That seems a fairly new netbook, isn't it? So you might have one of
these new "clickpads". These are touchpad like devices, but they have no
physical buttons but the whole surface is touch sensible and the buttons
are just special areas of the touchpad surface.

If that's the case, the bad news is, that this is neither supported by
Debian Lenny, nor will it be completely support by the upcoming Debian
Squeeze. While the Kernel support is present, but the xserver driver
misses a patch. I created packages at
http://people.debian.org/~tolimar/tmp/clickpad/ which work for me for my
Netbook.

Best regards,
Alexander

Old 11-11-2010, 02:10 AM
Carl Fink

On Tue, Nov 09, 2010 at 08:01:48PM +0000, ael wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 08, 2010 at 10:36:24PM -0500, Carl Fink wrote:
> > I have a Gateway LT3013U netbook. I have successfully installed Debian (the
> > regular distro, not any special netbook version) on it. Everything works
> > Data point: the output of 'cat /proc/bus/usb/input/devices' contains
> > neither Synaptics, Elantech nor ALPS. It is detected as a PS/2 mouse.
> >
> What does lshal say?

It wasn't installed. Because hal wasn't installed. Installing hal fixed
the problem--the touchpad works perfectly now.

Why heck didn't the squeeze installer include hal?

Thanks both to you and to Alexander Reichle-Schmehl for the effort, and
thanks for suggesting lshal, which pointed me in the right direction.

Old 11-11-2010, 07:38 AM
jnjb

I have a Gateway LT3013U netbook. I have successfully installed Debian (the
regular distro, not any special netbook version) on it. Everything works
Data point: the output of 'cat /proc/bus/usb/input/devices' contains
neither Synaptics, Elantech nor ALPS. It is detected as a PS/2 mouse.

What does lshal say?

It wasn't installed. Because hal wasn't installed. Installing hal fixed
the problem--the touchpad works perfectly now.

Why heck didn't the squeeze installer include hal?

Thanks both to you and to Alexander Reichle-Schmehl for the effort, and
thanks for suggesting lshal, which pointed me in the right direction.

Hello all

i have just bauth a new laptop netbook some days ago but it have some
trouble, it's an acer aspire one 753. the debian installer have a little
problem whith him, about lan the driver is on the d-i but don't work
(atl1e) it seems be to old, the wireless dont work whith the drivers
mac.... the broadcom driver dont work too and ndiswrapper nope, for the
momement i try ubuntu maverick on it all work fine just a problem whith
xorg but when the intel-ips is in blacklist its run and wireless is very
very slow. Some of you have this laptop, it cant name it netbook because
its too close about ultraportable like my older thinkpad x32. If some
people here have build an kernel for him or an special realese of d-i
give me a sign

thanks a lot