Old 11-04-2010, 08:13 AM
Klistvud

Default why there is no sound output from the front audio pane

Dne, 04. 11. 2010 09:53:20 je Huasen napisal(a):

On 11/04/2010 04:41 PM, Klistvud wrote:

Have you made sure the front audio panel is actually connected to
the motherboard audio headers? If this laptop has been serviced
before, they may well have forgotten to re-attach the cables
(happened to me with the mic cable once). Does the front audio panel
work when you start the machine with a live CD, such as Ubuntu 10.4
or the newest Fedora/OpenSuSE/whatever?

Although i have not tried that way, Im sure the cabe is connected to
the motherboard well, because if I boot into windows xp, it will work
as the back panel's. But, I usually use debian, not xp.

Please keep this thread on the list, OK? There's no need to post me
personally, I'm subscribed to the list.

Now, back to the problem. I guess what you said rules out a hardware
problem. Still, using a live CD or two would show us whether this is a
problem related to Debian or to Linux in general.

If the former, the new Debian coming out soon (Squeeze) could solve it
for you.

If the latter, I can only add these 2 cents: on my desktop machine with
an Intel motherboard, the front audio headers require special
(Windows-only, of course) software to fully work. They do work per se,
but if you want to enable rear jack muting (so that your main speakers
get muted when you plug in the headphones in the front audio jack), you
have to install Windows, and load a special Windows driver.

<rant>
What I mean to say is, the industry is packed-full of non-standard,
obfuscated and ill-intentioned tricks and quirks, designed so as to
give the MS operating system a competitive edge. For example, shipping
*only* Windows drivers with the hardware is one such strategy. Or, in
many laptops ACPI is purposely not designed so as to follow the
standard, but so as to be Microsoft-compatible. Somebody or something
is apparently blackmailing hardware vendors so badly that they'd sooner
break the standard than their compatibility with Windows.

<tnar>

--
Cheerio,

Klistvud
http://bufferoverflow.tiddlyspot.com
me.

Old 11-04-2010, 08:23 AM
Klistvud

If the latter, I can only add these 2 cents: on my desktop machine
with an Intel motherboard, the front audio headers require special
(Windows-only, of course) software to fully work. They do work per
se, but if you want to enable rear jack muting (so that your main
speakers get muted when you plug in the headphones in the front audio
jack), you have to install Windows, and load a special Windows driver.

Ooops, that's a disinformation; I mixed up two distinct features from
two distinct motherboards and managed to make a compete mess. The above
motherboard *does not require Windows* for the said functionality to
work, it just requires a *special chassis* with custom cabling.

Sorry about the disinformation.

Old 11-04-2010, 12:29 PM
Thierry Chatelet

On Thursday 04 November 2010 09:41:05 Klistvud wrote:
> Have you made sure the front audio panel is actually connected to the
> motherboard audio headers? If this laptop has been serviced before,
> they may well have forgotten to re-attach the cables (happened to me
> with the mic cable once). Does the front audio panel work when you
> start the machine with a live CD, such as Ubuntu 10.4 or the newest
> Fedora/OpenSuSE/whatever?

Working with W$, he said.

Old 11-04-2010, 12:48 PM
Thierry Chatelet

> > Have you tried to use a mixer and check that the sound is not muted?
> > (For example, alsamixer.)

Have you tried this one? Seems to me the very first thing to try.
Thierry

Old 11-04-2010, 11:44 PM
Huasen

Have you tried to use a mixer and check that the sound is not muted?
(For example, alsamixer.)

Have you tried this one? Seems to me the very first thing to try.
Thierry

Yes, I tried this way. Im sure all of the sound have been turned on.

Old 11-08-2010, 04:36 AM
Huasen

Have you made sure the front audio panel is actually connected to the
motherboard audio headers? If this laptop has been serviced before,
they may well have forgotten to re-attach the cables (happened to me
with the mic cable once). Does the front audio panel work when you
start the machine with a live CD, such as Ubuntu 10.4 or the newest
Fedora/OpenSuSE/whatever?

Working with W$, he said.
Now, I used a Ubuntu 10.10 Live CD to try, but, the problem is the same:
back output is ok, but no front output.