Old 09-24-2010, 01:23 PM
"Paulo Diovani"

Default Upgrading Lenny to Squeeze

Hi, people. Yesterday I started to upgrade my Debian
installation (on na Acer Aspire) to Squeeze, but things gone really bad.

Â*

I did na aptitude full-upgrade and after download finished
(about 2GB) dpkg accused a loto f missed dependencies and warns me of the risk
of upgrading udev without upgrading the kernel first. I was not planning to
upgrade my kernel, but as it’s need i’ll do that, but now, for every install
command apt tries to install all the packages it should upgrade (what does not
work).

Â*

Some packages was already unninstalled (includding
aptitude), but seens that no one was installed yet.

Â*

I don’t remember how to make apt forget what packages it
should install.

Can someone tell me how to make apt forgets the upgrade list
for now, Just to allow me to install a new kernel and aptitude again, for later
upgrade?

Â*

Â*

Is Sid required, atm, for sqeeze works without dependecy
faults?

Â*

__

Paulo Diovani
Gonçalves

http://diovani.com

Old 09-24-2010, 01:35 PM
Matt Zagrabelny

On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 8:23 AM, Paulo Diovani <paulo@diovani.com> wrote:
> Hi, people. Yesterday I started to upgrade my Debian installation (on na
> Acer Aspire) to Squeeze, but things gone really bad.
>

> I did na aptitude full-upgrade and after download finished (about 2GB) dpkg
> accused a loto f missed dependencies and warns me of the risk of upgrading
> udev without upgrading the kernel first. I was not planning to upgrade my
> kernel, but as it’s need i’ll do that, but now, for every install command
> apt tries to install all the packages it should upgrade (what does not
> work).
>

> Some packages was already unninstalled (includding aptitude), but seens that
> no one was installed yet.
>

> I don’t remember how to make apt forget what packages it should install.
>
> Can someone tell me how to make apt forgets the upgrade list for now, Just
> to allow me to install a new kernel and aptitude again, for later upgrade?

IIRC:

apt-get install aptitude

under aptitude mark a single package with a capital I, and it will be
the only package (along with its dependencies) that is installed.

HTH

-matt zagrabelny

Old 09-24-2010, 01:43 PM
"Paulo Diovani"

And what if i can't install aptitude without installing all the packages marked to install?
:/

__
Paulo Diovani Gonçalves
http://diovani.com
+55 51 8146 5413

Old 09-24-2010, 01:56 PM

I had the same problem. The problem was "udev" refused to install
because the kernel didn't match. And then everything else break, mostly
xorg because he needed a new udev. Or something like that.

I solved the problem that i just installed the new squeeze linux kernel
(2.6.32), reboot and then restart aptitude.

With a normal "aptitude install linux-image-2.6.32-5-amd64" or whatever
kernel you use, it should only install the kernel.

After new linux image installation and reboot, upgrading to squeeze
works just fine without an error.

Old 09-24-2010, 03:09 PM
Nikolay Bitsadze

Seems like the only way to do things right is clean install? Learned from other people's mistakes.

Old 09-24-2010, 03:34 PM
godo