Old 09-19-2010, 05:44 AM
James Brown

Default Problem with Asus eee PC900ax

I am trying to install Debian Lenny on the above netbook.
The installer don't see any network interface controller.
The network interface controller works under windows, i.e. it is not a
problem with hardware.
Some months ago I succesfully insttalled Debian Lenny on another such
netbook, Asus eee PC900ha

Old 09-19-2010, 06:36 AM
James Brown

Oleg Bodnaruk wrote:
> Hello, James.
> What NIC is installed on this netbook? It is likely that this NIC is
> not supported by Lenny's kernel 2.6.26-(1|2).
>
> On 19 September 2010 08:44, James Brown <jbrownfirst@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I am trying to install Debian Lenny on the above netbook.
>> The installer don't see any network interface controller.
>> The network interface controller works under windows, i.e. it is not a
>> problem with hardware.
>> Some months ago I succesfully insttalled Debian Lenny on another such
>> netbook, Asus eee PC900ha

lspci under the console of installer tell that the ethernet controller
is Attansic Technology Corp. Device 1062 (rev c0), network controller is
Ralink Device 3090 (it seems that "network controller" lelates to wifi).
Under 900ha I have Attansic Technology Corp. L1 Gigabit Ehternet Adapter
(reev b0) and Atheros Communications Inc. Device 002c (rev 01) for wifi,
they work finely.

Old 09-19-2010, 11:00 AM
Alexander Batischev

On Sun, Sep 19, 2010 at 05:44:44AM +0000, James Brown wrote:
> I am trying to install Debian Lenny on the above netbook.
> The installer don't see any network interface controller.
> The network interface controller works under windows, i.e. it is not a
> problem with hardware.
> Some months ago I succesfully insttalled Debian Lenny on another such
> netbook, Asus eee PC900ha

I suggest you trying out Squeeze. I installed it on my shiny new EeePC 900HA
last winter and it works just (well, almost) fine. It recognised all the
hardware right and I'm happy how it works. The only problem remains is: if you
disable WiFi, you also disable LAN port. That means, to use wired network you
should have wireless module enabled as well. And there's also another little
trouble - if you disable WiFi at runtime, or if it was disabled on system boot,
to enable it's not enough to just press Fn+F2, you should also run the
following command:

# modprobe pciehp pciehp_force=1

But if you don't constantly disable and enable your networking module, your
900HA would work just great under Squeeze.

And last but not least: Squeeze would became stable soon, so there's probably
no reason to install Lenny.

Alexander Batischev

1024D/69093C81
F870 A381 B5F5 D2A1 1B35 4D63 A1A7 1C77 6909 3C81