Old 01-20-2008, 05:59 PM
Damjan Vrencur

Default suspend2ram doesn't turn off the screen anymore on Thinkpad X31 after lenny upgrade

Hi,

I'm using X31 with unstable and it works great.
The packages hibernate and uswsusp in fact work for me out of the box both for
suspending to disk (/usr/bin/hibernate) and to ram (/usr/bin/susp2mem).

Damjan Vrenčur <~> http://lmmri.fri.uni-lj.si/damjan/ <~> GPG key: C6A3146F

Old 01-21-2008, 08:53 AM
Damjan Vrencur

Hi,

> I can't find susp2mem anywhere in Debian, any version:

Sorry, this was typo on my side.
I'm suspending to ram with /usr/sbin/s2ram which comes with uswsusp package.

> I noticed that hibernate-ram *does* work, but:
>
> a) it doesn't lock the screen in Gnome
> b) Gnome doesn't invoke hibernate-ram for some reason, but some hack
> around my "echo mem > /sys/power/state" (the effect is the same, ie.
> the screen remains lit when sleeping)
>
> So as a workaround I can type "hibernate-ram" in a terminal, but it's a
> really bad workaround since anyone that pops my laptop open get my full
> active session.

I'm using quite a different window manager (dwm) and don't know how to
configure Gnome corectly for suspending. I have a little script in my $PATH
which says:
------------------------
#!/bin/sh

sudo s2ram
exec slock;
and I run it when I want to suspend. Similary for hibernate (just replace
s2ram -> s2disk).

slock locks the screen after wakening-up.

Gnome doesn't suspend or hibernate for me "by clicking", but using s2ram and
s2disk work without problems.

Problably someone knows how to make Gnome suspend in a "user-friendly" way. I
would be interested to know, but I have no time (and no need) to investigate
furher in Gnome configuration.

Damjan Vrenčur <~> http://lmmri.fri.uni-lj.si/damjan/ <~> GPG key: C6A3146F