Old 06-24-2010, 01:06 PM
Florian Reitmeir

Default MiniSD or MicroSD

On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 13:41:12 +0100
theNerd <the.nerd18@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Debian Project,
>
> I would like to purchase a Core i5 laptop with a MiniSD and MicroSD
> Card Reader. Please can you recommend which SD card I should buy so I
> can install Debian onto the card. This way, I can boot from the *card
> via the BIOS instead of the hard drive. Any form of assistance would
> be greatfully appreciated.

some 1-2 years ago i tried something like that with my thinkpad x60s,
the problem is that all sd-cards are extremly slow, so choose a card
which is fast in reading/writing.

cu

Old 06-24-2010, 01:15 PM
Dotan Cohen

On 24 June 2010 15:41, theNerd <the.nerd18@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Debian Project,
>
> I would like to purchase a Core i5 laptop with a MiniSD and MicroSD Card
> Reader. Please can you recommend which SD card I should buy so I can install
> Debian onto the card. This way, I can boot from the *card via the BIOS
> instead of the hard drive. Any form of assistance would be greatfully
> appreciated.
>
> PS: May you provide me with installation instructions.
>
> http://www.sony.co.uk/product/vn-e-series/vpcec1s1e-bj

Check what the BIOS supports. My Dell laptop supports boot from USB,
but not from the internal card reader. Don't be so sure that it will
work without trying it or asking Sony first.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

Old 06-25-2010, 11:22 AM
Matus UHLAR - fantomas

> On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 13:41:12 +0100
> theNerd <the.nerd18@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I would like to purchase a Core i5 laptop with a MiniSD and MicroSD
> > Card Reader. Please can you recommend which SD card I should buy so I
> > can install Debian onto the card. This way, I can boot from the *card
> > via the BIOS instead of the hard drive. Any form of assistance would
> > be greatfully appreciated.

microsd fits into minisd adapter and into many other devices like readers or
mobile phones, so I'd buy microSD, unless I have only minisd-compatible
devices and minisd is much cheaper (with comparable speed, see below).[B

On 24.06.10 15:06, Florian Reitmeir wrote:
> some 1-2 years ago i tried something like that with my thinkpad x60s,
> the problem is that all sd-cards are extremly slow, so choose a card
> which is fast in reading/writing.

there are different speed classes of those cards:

http://www.sdcard.org/developers/tech/speed_class/

I don't have lysdexia. The Dog wouldn't allow that.

Old 06-25-2010, 03:42 PM
Klistvud