Old 06-15-2010, 01:40 AM
Otto

Default Squeeze - Can't connect to wireless router

Hi, I installed Squeeze yesterday and did a aptitude full-upgrade, but I can't connect to my wifi router.The card is a Intel 3945ABG, which used to work fine in Lenny.
root@debian:/etc# wpa_supplicant -iwlan0 -cwpa_supplicant.conf -Dwext
Trying to associate with 00:21:29:96:8a:ee (SSID='linux' freq=2462 MHz)Associated with 00:00:00:00:00:00CTRL-EVENT-DISCONNECTED - Disconnect event - remove keysTrying to associate with 00:21:29:96:8a:ee (SSID='linux' freq=2462 MHz)
Associated with 00:21:29:96:8a:eeCTRL-EVENT-DISCONNECTED - Disconnect event - remove keysTrying to associate with 00:21:29:96:8a:ee (SSID='linux' freq=2462 MHz)Associated with 00:21:29:96:8a:ee
CTRL-EVENT-DISCONNECTED - Disconnect event - remove keysioctl[SIOCGIWSCAN]: Resource temporarily unavailableTrying to associate with 00:21:29:96:8a:ee (SSID='linux' freq=2462 MHz)
Associated with 00:21:29:96:8a:eeWPA: No SSID info found (msg 1 of 4).
Full output:�http://pastebin.ca/1883287

It's weird I can see the router with iwlist scanning but can't connect.I also tried without WPA, using iwconfig wlan0 essid linux and still couldn't get the AP associated.

Any suggestions?Thanks

Old 06-15-2010, 02:56 AM
"Huang, Tao"

do you have firmware-iwlwifi installed?

Tao
--
Link: http://www.google.com/profiles/UniIsland

Old 06-15-2010, 06:37 AM
Dirk Linnerkamp

Hi Otto,

Am Montag, den 14.06.2010, 22:40 -0300 schrieb Otto:
> Hi, I installed Squeeze yesterday and did a aptitude full-upgrade, but
> I can't connect to my wifi router.
> The card is a Intel 3945ABG, which used to work fine in Lenny.

> It's weird I can see the router with iwlist scanning but can't
> connect.
> I also tried without WPA, using iwconfig wlan0 essid linux and still
> couldn't get the AP associated.
>

> Any suggestions?

...those things mostly happen whef your wireless configuration isn't
correct., for example the wrong "pair-wise" or "group" parameter .Then
you get connected but immediately are disconnected again.

But before changing something:

When you run your command "wpa_supplicant" with the -c option you should
give it the full path-lenght as a parameter, for example:

=> "wpa_supplicant -Dwext -iwlan0 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf"
or whereever your config file is located. Put this also into your
"/etc/network/interfaces" to the wlan0 interface block if you are not
using network-manager or wicd as i presume.

Try this first.

Best regards
Dirk

Old 06-16-2010, 11:27 AM
Otto

> do you have firmware-iwlwifi installed?

Yeah.

Sorry, Dirk, I couldn't test yet what you suggested. Tonight I'll see if that makes any difference and I'll also paste here my /etc/network/interfaces.

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/1276583873.3929.22.camel@linux-d59.Netz

Old 06-20-2010, 04:26 PM
Otto

It started working magically. I don't know how, but suddenly network manager found all networks around and connected sucessfully.

Now I have a strange problem. Everytime I want to connect to something - doesn't matter if it's web, APT, IRC, IM, ping or anything, it takes a while (several seconds) trying to resolv the address, like if the DNS is very slow. After that it goes normally.

It's normally with any other distro or OS.

Doing a quick google search I found many complaints about that in Squeeze. One suggests adding 'options single-request' to /etc/resolv.conf. This is it: http://www.mail-archive.com/debian-user@lists.debian.org/msg560847.html

But isn't that file overwritten automatically?

Old 06-20-2010, 04:40 PM
"Rodney D. Myers"

--
Rodney D. Myers <rod_dmyers@fastmail.fm>
AIM#: YAHOO:

Ben Franklin - 1759

Old 06-20-2010, 05:05 PM
"Huang, Tao"

On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 12:26 AM, Otto <ottoteixeira@ig.com.br> wrote:
> It started working magically. I don't know how, but suddenly network manager
> found all networks around and connected sucessfully.
>
> Now I have a strange problem. Everytime I want to connect to something -
> doesn't matter if it's web, APT, IRC, IM, ping or anything, it takes a while
> (several seconds) trying to resolv the address, like if the DNS is very
> slow. After that it goes normally.
> It's normally with any other distro or OS.

you can use namebench[1] to find better dns servers.
> Doing a quick google search I found many complaints about that in Squeeze.
> One suggests adding 'options single-request' to /etc/resolv.conf. This is
> it: http://www.mail-archive.com/debian-user@lists.debian.org/msg560847.html

single-request does not appear in the resolv.conf man page. i'm not
sure if it's supported in debian.

> But isn't that file overwritten automatically?

yes, /etc/resolv.conf is overwritten regularly. resovleconf is the
recommanded way to manage /etc/resolv.conf.

also consider setting up a local cache with dnsmasq. it's pretty light-weighted.

[1]: http://code.google.com/p/namebench/

Tao
--
http://huangtao.me/
http://www.google.com/profiles/UniIsland

Old 06-20-2010, 10:25 PM
Dirk Linnerkamp

Am Sonntag, den 20.06.2010, 13:26 -0300 schrieb Otto:
> It started working magically. I don't know how, but suddenly network
> manager found all networks around and connected sucessfully.
>
> Now I have a strange problem. Everytime I want to connect to something
> - doesn't matter if it's web, APT, IRC, IM, ping or anything, it takes
> a while (several seconds) trying to resolv the address, like if the
> DNS is very slow.. After that it goes normally.
> It's normally with any other distro or OS.
>
> Doing a quick google search I found many complaints about that in
> Squeeze. One suggests adding 'options single-request'
> to /etc/resolv.conf. This is it:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/debian-user@lists.debian.org/msg560847.html
>
> But isn't that file overwritten automatically?

Yes normally network-manager modifies this file as soon as availible
nameservers changed in different networks being connected to at a given
time. You can configure network-manager only using the same
dns-nameservers but these should than be availible from any network you
are getting conected to.

As i conclude from your new mail you use networ-manager-gnome or
network-manager-kde after all?

In this case and before making any changes to your /etc/resolv.conf yuu
should REMOVE all stanzas from those interfaces which you wish to be
configured by the network-manager. Normally these means deleting all
entries except the "lo"-entry.

The network-manager configures all interfaces automatically which are
NOT already configured in the "/etc/network/interfaces"

Make these changes and see if it makes a different!

Greetings
Dirk.