Old 01-07-2008, 10:41 AM
Cyril Jaquier

Default postinstallation: drive_cmd: seek complete error

Hi Martin,

setting Advanced Power Management level to 0xfe (254)
hda: drive_cmd: status=8x51 (DriveReady SekkCompleter Error)
hda: drive_cmd: error=8x84 (AbortedCommand)
???. failed opcode ??: 8xef
??IO_Drive_CMD failed: Input/output error

I have this one on my T61 too. An init script tries to set some IDE
settings on the DVD drive (hda). So, this is not your problem I guess.

Any idea how to solve this? Reinstall debian from another media? T61 are
supported as far as I know (lots of pages describing the installation).

No problem here on my T61. Only a few minor issues (no wireless led, few
splashy issues, etc).

Does the problem happen when X starts?

Regards,

Cyril Jaquier

Old 01-07-2008, 11:00 AM
Franklin Piat

Hello Martin,

On Mon, 7 Jan 2008 11:44:48 +0100, Martin Wegmann
<wegmann@biozentrum.uni-wuerzburg.de> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I installed debian (netinstall) on a T61 Thinkpad which worked fine until
> I booted my system after the installation.
Did you installed Etch or Testing ?

> The monitor turns blank after a few seconds and the system did not
respond
> anymore. It tooks me a few reboots to read the last error message.

Can you boot in single-user mode ?

What graphic adapter do have (Intel or Nvidia) ?
$ lspci -nn | grep -E "(VGA|Display)"

Which xorg video drivier do you use (vesa, intel, nv from xorg or
proprietary one ...)
Which Desktop environement (Gnome, KDE...)

Is DRI enabled ?
$ grep /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep DRI

> setting Advanced Power Management level to 0xfe (254)
> hda: drive_cmd: status=8x51 (DriveReady SekkCompleter Error)
> hda: drive_cmd: error=8x84 (AbortedCommand)
> ???. failed opcode ??: 8xef
> ??IO_Drive_CMD failed: Input/output error

/dev/hda is probably your cdrom. try
$cat /proc/ide/hda/model
mine says "HL-DT-STCD-RW/DVD DRIVE GCC-4247N"... which is a DVD

- Try ejecting the "CDROM", and check if the errors occurs again.
- In the BIOS, have you configured SATA as "compatible" or "AHCI" mode ?

> I couldn't read the ? parts but if they are important I can reboot again
> and try to read it before the screen turns blank.
>
> I found some hits with the similar error messages but not during boot or
> after the first boot at all.
>
> Any idea how to solve this? Reinstall debian from another media? T61 are
> supported as far as I know (lots of pages describing the installation).

Testing/Lenny has better T61 harware support than Etch/Stable, but
Lenny/Testing it
self isn't as stable as... Etch/Stable !

Franklin Piat
--
http://www.klabs.be/~fpiat/linux/debian/Etch_on_Thinkpad_T61.html
http://www.klabs.be/~fpiat/linux/debian/Lenny_on_Thinkpad_T61.html

Old 01-07-2008, 11:17 AM
Martin Wegmann

hello Franklin,

On Monday 07 January 2008 13:00:04 Franklin Piat wrote:
> Hello Martin,
>
> On Mon, 7 Jan 2008 11:44:48 +0100, Martin Wegmann
>
> <wegmann@biozentrum.uni-wuerzburg.de> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I installed debian (netinstall) on a T61 Thinkpad which worked fine until
> > I booted my system after the installation.
>
> Did you installed Etch or Testing ?

testing netinstall, but I will try it again with the CD-1 of testing.

> > The monitor turns blank after a few seconds and the system did not
>
> respond
>
> > anymore. It tooks me a few reboots to read the last error message.
>
> Can you boot in single-user mode ?

yes, but problem remains

> What graphic adapter do have (Intel or Nvidia) ?
> $ lspci -nn | grep -E "(VGA|Display)"

all these commands are not possible because after this error messages my
system does not respond anymore.

> Which xorg video drivier do you use (vesa, intel, nv from xorg or
> proprietary one ...)
> Which Desktop environement (Gnome, KDE...)

I did not spend time to change my desktop during installation, the default is
Gnome, but I will change to KDE

> Is DRI enabled ?
> $ grep /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep DRI

can not change to CLI

> > setting Advanced Power Management level to 0xfe (254)
> > hda: drive_cmd: status=8x51 (DriveReady SekkCompleter Error)
> > hda: drive_cmd: error=8x84 (AbortedCommand)
> > ???. failed opcode ??: 8xef
> > ??IO_Drive_CMD failed: Input/output error
>
> /dev/hda is probably your cdrom. try
> $cat /proc/ide/hda/model
> mine says "HL-DT-STCD-RW/DVD DRIVE GCC-4247N"... which is a DVD

well it is also a DVD/CD-RW, but not yet further informations

> - Try ejecting the "CDROM", and check if the errors occurs again.

same problem

> - In the BIOS, have you configured SATA as "compatible" or "AHCI" mode ?

it is set to AHCI

> > I couldn't read the ? parts but if they are important I can reboot again
> > and try to read it before the screen turns blank.
> >
> > I found some hits with the similar error messages but not during boot or
> > after the first boot at all.
> >
> > Any idea how to solve this? Reinstall debian from another media? T61 are
> > supported as far as I know (lots of pages describing the installation).
>
> Testing/Lenny has better T61 harware support than Etch/Stable, but
> Lenny/Testing it
> self isn't as stable as... Etch/Stable !

I downloaded lenny CD instead of the netinstall and will try it again.

cheers, Martin

Old 01-07-2008, 12:11 PM
Franklin Piat

Martin,

On Mon, 7 Jan 2008 13:17:19 +0100, Martin Wegmann wrote:
> On Monday 07 January 2008 13:00:04 Franklin Piat wrote:
>> On Mon, 7 Jan 2008 11:44:48 +0100, Martin Wegmann wrote:
>> > I installed debian (netinstall) on a T61 Thinkpad which worked fine
>> > until I booted my system after the installation.
>> Did you installed Etch or Testing ?
> testing netinstall, but I will try it again with the CD-1 of testing.

This should be fine.

>> > The monitor turns blank after a few seconds and the system did not
>> > respond anymore. It tooks me a few reboots to read the last error
>> > message.
>> Can you boot in single-user mode ?
> yes, but problem remains

So it's not due to Xorg.

I guess you have a T61 with an Nvidia graphic. Can you tell me what's your
T61 "type" (it's written on the laptop's sticker).

Can you try to boot with kernel parameter "vga=1" or "vga=871".

>> What graphic adapter do have (Intel or Nvidia) ?
>> $ lspci -nn | grep -E "(VGA|Display)"
>
> all these commands are not possible because after this error messages my
> system does not respond anymore.

of course

Franklin

Old 01-07-2008, 12:53 PM
Paolo

On Mon, Jan 07, 2008 at 01:17:19PM +0100, Martin Wegmann wrote:

> > Can you boot in single-user mode ?
>
> yes, but problem remains
>
> > What graphic adapter do have (Intel or Nvidia) ?
> > $ lspci -nn | grep -E "(VGA|Display)"
>
> all these commands are not possible because after this error messages my
> system does not respond anymore.

load just the bare kernel, then look around:
- pass these options as boot params:
root=<your root dev> ro init=/bin/sh
- then if you get a shell:
- mount / -o remount,rw
- mount /proc
- mount <all that you need, eg /tmp, /var, /usr etc. in your setup>
- run above commands, try to load modules 1-by-1 - eg. acpi, agp, ...
see if/when/what breaks

HTH
--
paolo

GPG/PGP id:0x1D5A11A4 - 04FC 8EB9 51A1 5158 1425 BC12 EA57 3382 1D5A 11A4
- 9/11: the outrageous deception and ongoing coverup: http://911review.org -

Old 01-07-2008, 05:23 PM
Martin Wegmann

On Monday 07 January 2008 14:11:24 Franklin Piat wrote:
> Martin,
>
> On Mon, 7 Jan 2008 13:17:19 +0100, Martin Wegmann wrote:
> >>
> >> Did you installed Etch or Testing ?
> >
> > testing netinstall, but I will try it again with the CD-1 of testing.
>
> This should be fine.

> >> Can you boot in single-user mode ?
> >
> > yes, but problem remains
>
> So it's not due to Xorg.
>
> I guess you have a T61 with an Nvidia graphic. Can you tell me what's your
> T61 "type" (it's written on the laptop's sticker).

8889-2BG S/N L3 -K8253 07/12

> Can you try to boot with kernel parameter "vga=1" or "vga=871".

vga=1 same problem
vga=871 gave: unrecognized value and a list to choose from or "scan". "scan"
had no effect and returned to the list. Choosing 0 resulted in the same
error: blank screen.

ah!
after the nth reboot I got a prompt to enter my root pwd for maintenance,
then I was able to reconfigure my xorg and after reboot I received the same
error message but now changing between: error-blank-error-blank.... and
finally a detailed error message that x-server couldn't be started and the
log-output is:

(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
(EE) No devices detected

Fatal server error:
no screens found

I ran dpkg-reconfigure xserve-xorg and using the "autodetection values"
resulted in a blank screen without any CLI.

UsingATI, nVidia caused the flickering monitor. Applying Vesa finally gave me
a graphical login screen however the refresh rate is too low

how do I find the correct settings?

TFT Display; 1400x1050 (SXGA+); 14,1 Zoll (35,8 cm)
128 MB GDDR SDRAM; nVIDIA Quadro NVS 140M

and BTW dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg does not prompt monitor queries anymore,
just mouse and keyboard.

[...]

thanks for your help so far.

Martin

Old 01-07-2008, 07:07 PM
Martin Wegmann

On Monday 07 January 2008 19:23:14 Martin Wegmann wrote:
> On Monday 07 January 2008 14:11:24 Franklin Piat wrote:
> > Martin,

> > > testing netinstall, but I will try it again with the CD-1 of testing.
> >
> > This should be fine.

> > > yes, but problem remains
> >
> > So it's not due to Xorg.
> >
> > I guess you have a T61 with an Nvidia graphic. Can you tell me what's
> > your T61 "type" (it's written on the laptop's sticker).
>
> 8889-2BG S/N L3 -K8253 07/12
>
> > Can you try to boot with kernel parameter "vga=1" or "vga=871".
>
> vga=1 same problem
> vga=871 gave: unrecognized value and a list to choose from or "scan".
> "scan" had no effect and returned to the list. Choosing 0 resulted in the
> same error: blank screen.
>
> ah!
> after the nth reboot I got a prompt to enter my root pwd for maintenance,
> then I was able to reconfigure my xorg and after reboot I received the same
> error message but now changing between: error-blank-error-blank.... and
> finally a detailed error message that x-server couldn't be started and the
> log-output is:
>
> (==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
> (EE) No devices detected
>
> Fatal server error:
> no screens found
>
> I ran dpkg-reconfigure xserve-xorg and using the "autodetection values"
> resulted in a blank screen without any CLI.
>
> UsingATI, nVidia caused the flickering monitor. Applying Vesa finally gave
> me a graphical login screen however the refresh rate is too low
>
> how do I find the correct settings?
>
> TFT Display; 1400x1050 (SXGA+); 14,1 Zoll (35,8 cm)
> 128 MB GDDR SDRAM; nVIDIA Quadro NVS 140M
>
> and BTW dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg does not prompt monitor queries
> anymore, just mouse and keyboard.

and login off kde results in a black screen with red strips and flashing
questions marks ... nice ,-)

problem must be xorg.conf - try to configure it tomorrow ... Martin

Old 01-07-2008, 08:28 PM
Marvin Renich

Martin,

Do you understand how to use virtual consoles? If the entire problem is
misconfigured X, then you should have no problem using a text console.

By default, Debian creates six virtual text consoles, and X uses the
seventh vc. To switch from an X console to a text console, use
Alt-Ctrl-Fn, where Fn identifies the console, e.g. F1 for console 1. To
switch from a text console, the Ctrl is unnecessary (e.g. Alt-F4), but
is innocuous. The reason for the Ctrl is that X reserves Alt-Fn keys
for application use. To switch back to X, use Alt-F7 (or Alt-Ctrl-F7).
Each console is independent and preserves its state even when that
console is not displayed, so you can login on three different text
consoles and in X, and switch between them. You can have multiple X
servers running, and each will use a separate vc; e.g. the second X
server will use vc 8 (if available).

I have seen cases where the broken X configuration put the video card in
a state where I could not Alt-Ctrl-F1 back to a text console (or I
could, but the screen did not reflect reality, so I was typing blind),
so this may not work in your case.

Also, if you start with "1" as a kernel parameter, you should not get to
the point where X starts, and you should be able to use the text
consoles to debug. Without gdm (or kdm or xdm) running, you can start a
one-time X session (without the graphical login screen) using startx
from a shell (on a text console).

For an nVidia graphics adapter, you probably want to install the
non-free nvidia-kernel-* package for the kernel you are using and the
nvidia-glx package. The nvidia-kernel-* packages provide the kernel
module for driving the text consoles, and the nvidia-glx module provides
the xorg modules. To add non-free to the list of Debian package
sources, edit /etc/apt/sources.list to include contrib and non-free
after main. These lines should work for etch, but you may want
different servers/distributions:

deb http://security.debian.org/debian-security etch/updates main contrib non-free
deb-src http://security.debian.org/debian-security etch/updates main contrib non-free

deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian etch main contrib non-free
deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian etch main contrib non-free

There is also an xdebconfigurator package that purports to assist in
configuring xfree86 and xorg servers, but I have not used it.

Hope this helps!

...Marvin