Old 01-04-2008, 08:39 AM
8rino

Default Thinkpad Z60T suspend to ram

Hi all, here is Ottorino from Florence, Italy.
I own a Z60t on which I recently installed Debian lenny kernel 2.6.22-3-686.
I have the same problem with suspend/hibernate.
Pressing the blue keys Fn+moon the computer hibernate
Pressing the same keys again the computer comes back to life, but
appparently it is not able to switch on the neon lamps within the monitor.
In fact I can (hardly) see the shades of icons and windows on the desktop.
I tried to find out where the hibernate.conf is, but unsuccessfully.
Could you please give me a hint on where to find informations on how to
solve this problem (and learn something in the meanwhile ?)

Old 01-04-2008, 04:21 PM
Florian Kulzer

On Fri, Jan 04, 2008 at 01:39:42 -0800, 8rino wrote:

> Hi all, here is Ottorino from Florence, Italy.
> I own a Z60t on which I recently installed Debian lenny kernel 2.6.22-3-686.
> I have the same problem with suspend/hibernate.
> Pressing the blue keys Fn+moon the computer hibernate
> Pressing the same keys again the computer comes back to life, but
> appparently it is not able to switch on the neon lamps within the monitor.
> In fact I can (hardly) see the shades of icons and windows on the desktop.
> I tried to find out where the hibernate.conf is, but unsuccessfully.
> Could you please give me a hint on where to find informations on how to
> solve this problem (and learn something in the meanwhile ?)

The configuration files are in /etc/hibernate/. Install the "hibernate"
and "vbetool" packages and read the documentation.

Also see here:
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Problem_with_display_remaining_black_after_resume

Florian |

Old 01-08-2008, 08:40 AM
8rino

Dear Dr Kulzer, thanks for the hints.
I did the following:

apt-get install hibernate
that installed also vbetool

I tried to read the manuals, but I did not understand properly what I'm
suppose to do.
But at least, I finally understand the difference between "suspend" and
"hibernate".

When I tried to "suspend" the computer (pressing Fn-moon), it failed but I
had a pop-up addressing me to
http://people.freedesktop.org/~hughsient/quirk/

There I find many useful information, but stil I'm not able to suspend the
computer correctly.
I modified "i810" in "intel" in the xorg.conf file, as requested by
./quirk-checker.sh and, as far as I can understand, I must use the quirk
"--quirk-s3-bios" to the pm-suspend command.

If i write pm-suspend--quirk-s3-bios, everything seems to work fine, but I
do not know where to write this option permanently.

Here
(/http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Problem_with_display_remaining_black_after_resume)
it is suggested to write
DISPLAY_QUIRK_S3_BIOS="true" into /etc/pm/config.d/config for FC7.
I did it, but seems not to work with debian.

Moreover, in the manual for pm-suspend I read
FILES
/etc/pm/config.d
The files in this directory are evaluated in C sort order. These
files can be provided by individual packages outside of pm-utils.
If a global configuration variable is set, the value set to will
be
appended to the previous value. If any other variable is set, it
will be ignored. The syntax is simply: VAR_NAME = value. See the
CONFIGURATION VARIABLES section for valid variables defined by
pm-utils. External packages can define others, see their
respective
documentation for more information.

and the CONFIGURATION VARIABLES section below in the manual seem not to
report
DISPLAY_QUIRK_S3_BIOS="true" as a valid variable.

I think that there are some files where I have to write some options, but
I'm unclear where they are and in which order they are read/executed
Any hint as to where to learn such things?

Moreover, coming back to hibernate, in the hibernate manual I see that I
should compile the kernel in order to let "hibernate" work. Is that true ?
From dmesg I have not any tuxonice non suspend2 item

I went to the http://www.tuxonice.net/ but there there are not yet the
directions on how to recompile the kernel.

Thanks again
Ottorino

Old 01-08-2008, 04:53 PM
Florian Kulzer

On Tue, Jan 08, 2008 at 01:40:37 -0800, 8rino wrote:

[...]

> I did the following:
>
> apt-get install hibernate
> that installed also vbetool
>
> I tried to read the manuals, but I did not understand properly what I'm
> suppose to do.

I initially suggested hibernate and vbetool because they helped me to
get suspend to ram working on my laptop (which is not a thinkpad, but I
also have an intel graphics chip). The hibernate configuration files
have a commented-out option to use vbetool after resume, and this
removed my own problems with the black display. However, since your
thinkpad seems to be configured already to use pm-utils, I suggest that
you try a bit more with that.

> When I tried to "suspend" the computer (pressing Fn-moon), it failed but I
> had a pop-up addressing me to
> http://people.freedesktop.org/~hughsient/quirk/
>
> There I find many useful information, but stil I'm not able to suspend the
> computer correctly.
> I modified "i810" in "intel" in the xorg.conf file, as requested by
> ./quirk-checker.sh and, as far as I can understand, I must use the quirk
> "--quirk-s3-bios" to the pm-suspend command.
>
> If i write pm-suspend--quirk-s3-bios, everything seems to work fine, but I
> do not know where to write this option permanently.

If I understand you correctly, you can suspend and resume without
problems if you use this command directly? That means you almost have it
working already. We just have to figure out how to make sure the
--quirk-s3-bios option is invoked when you press Fn-moon.

> Here
> (/http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Problem_with_display_remaining_black_after_resume)
> it is suggested to write
> DISPLAY_QUIRK_S3_BIOS="true" into /etc/pm/config.d/config for FC7.
> I did it, but seems not to work with debian.

This might be a misunderstanding: I think you should put

DISPLAY_QUIRK_S3_BIOS="true"

into this file. You only need to type the backslashes ("") if you use
the echo command to write this line into this file. Can you post the
output of

cat /etc/pm/config.d/config

?

> Moreover, in the manual for pm-suspend I read

[...]

> and the CONFIGURATION VARIABLES section below in the manual seem not to
> report
> DISPLAY_QUIRK_S3_BIOS="true" as a valid variable.

This might simply mean that the manual is not up-to-date. The thinkwiki
pages have the reputation to be the best source of information for
thinkpad users.

> I think that there are some files where I have to write some options, but
> I'm unclear where they are and in which order they are read/executed
> Any hint as to where to learn such things?

In a perfect world the manpages should always list the configuration
files and directories. Sometimes it is necessary to use google or to
list all files of a package and make a guess.

(You can use "dpkg -L pm-utils" to list all files in the pm-utils
package, for example.)

> Moreover, coming back to hibernate, in the hibernate manual I see that I
> should compile the kernel in order to let "hibernate" work. Is that true ?
> From dmesg I have not any tuxonice non suspend2 item

Only some ways of suspending require a kernel patch. As I said above,
try a bit more with pm-utils since it works from the command line
already.

Florian |

Old 01-09-2008, 03:28 PM
8rino

If I understand you correctly, you can suspend and resume without
problems if you use this command directly? That means you almost have it
working already. We just have to figure out how to make sure the
--quirk-s3-bios option is invoked when you press Fn-moon.

This is actually the problem.

> Here
> (/http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Problem_with_display_remaining_black_after_resume)
> it is suggested to write
> DISPLAY_QUIRK_S3_BIOS="true" into /etc/pm/config.d/config for FC7.
> I did it, but seems not to work with debian.

This might be a misunderstanding: I think you should put

DISPLAY_QUIRK_S3_BIOS="true"
into this file.

I made a bad copy&paste from the page.
In my /etc/pm/config.d/config is written exactly as above

> I think that there are some files where I have to write some options, but
> I'm unclear where they are and in which order they are read/executed
> Any hint as to where to learn such things?

In a perfect world the manpages should always list the configuration
files and directories. Sometimes it is necessary to use google or to
list all files of a package and make a guess.

Thanks to your help and suggestions I've found this
http://en.opensuse.org/Pm-utils
which is a very helpful page indeed.
It explains all the nuts and bolts of pm-utils.

Nevertheless I'm still unable to suspend/hibernate the machine properly,
even if I'm quite happy since I'm starting to understand something.

>From
cat /var/log/pm-suspend.log
I get

===== Wed Jan 9 16:02:52 CET 2008: running hook:
/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/00clear =====
/usr/lib/pm-utils/functions: line 28: [: /etc/pm/config.d/config: binary
operator expected
/usr/lib/pm-utils/functions: line 28: [: /etc/pm/config.d/config: binary
operator expected

where around line 28 in /usr/lib/pm-utils/functions

I find this:

source_configs()
{
cfgs="/etc/pm/config.d/*[^~]"
for cfg in $cfgs ; do
[ -f $cfgs ] || continue
set -a
. $cfg
set +a
done
}

I'm not a programmer, so do you have any idea, please ?

BTW, thanks for being a good interlocutor. I appreciate it a lot.
I'm quite alone here dealing with Linux. I switched "definitely" to it only
6 months ago or so.

We are somehow colleagues. You can find me here
http://www4.unifi.it/dssnp/english/professors/pantani.htm

Old 01-09-2008, 05:36 PM
Florian Kulzer

On Wed, Jan 09, 2008 at 08:28:02 -0800, 8rino wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 08, 2008 at 01:40:37 -0800, 8rino wrote:
> [...]
> If I understand you correctly, you can suspend and resume without
> problems if you use this command directly? That means you almost have it
> working already. We just have to figure out how to make sure the
> --quirk-s3-bios option is invoked when you press Fn-moon.
>
> This is actually the problem.
>
> > Here
> > (/http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Problem_with_display_remaining_black_after_resume)
> > it is suggested to write
> > DISPLAY_QUIRK_S3_BIOS="true" into /etc/pm/config.d/config for FC7.
> > I did it, but seems not to work with debian.
>
> This might be a misunderstanding: I think you should put
>
> DISPLAY_QUIRK_S3_BIOS="true"
> into this file.
>
> I made a bad copy&paste from the page.
> In my /etc/pm/config.d/config is written exactly as above

[...]

> Thanks to your help and suggestions I've found this
> http://en.opensuse.org/Pm-utils
> which is a very helpful page indeed.
> It explains all the nuts and bolts of pm-utils.
>
> Nevertheless I'm still unable to suspend/hibernate the machine properly,
> even if I'm quite happy since I'm starting to understand something.
>
> >From
> cat /var/log/pm-suspend.log
> I get
>
> ===== Wed Jan 9 16:02:52 CET 2008: running hook:
> /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/00clear =====
> /usr/lib/pm-utils/functions: line 28: [: /etc/pm/config.d/config: binary
> operator expected
> /usr/lib/pm-utils/functions: line 28: [: /etc/pm/config.d/config: binary
> operator expected
>
> where around line 28 in /usr/lib/pm-utils/functions
>
> I find this:
>
> source_configs()
> {
> cfgs="/etc/pm/config.d/*[^~]"
> for cfg in $cfgs ; do
> [ -f $cfgs ] || continue
> set -a
> . $cfg
> set +a
> done
> }
>
> I'm not a programmer, so do you have any idea, please ?

I think the mistake is in this line:

[ -f $cfgs ] || continue

It should have "$cfg" instead of "$cfgs":

[ -f $cfg ] || continue

This part of the script saves a list of all files in /etc/pm/config.d/
in the variable $cfgs and then it loops over the elements in this list,
assigns one after the other to $cfg, tests if the current $cfg file
exists and executes (sources) it if it is a regular file. The mistake in
the script explains why your configuration commands are not executed.
Maybe it will work if you correct it by removing the superfluous "s".

If that does not make it work then we will have to find out what exactly
happens when you press Fn-moon. After you press it you should find some
information about this in the syslog. I propose that you press Fn-moon,
get the laptop working again (hard reboot, I assume) and then run this:

grep acpid /var/log/syslog

(Normally the ACPI daemon is the one responsible for handling the
special keys. It should write in the log which script is called. We
might then be able to adapt this script to your needs.)

> BTW, thanks for being a good interlocutor. I appreciate it a lot.
> I'm quite alone here dealing with Linux. I switched "definitely" to it only
> 6 months ago or so.

There is a lot to learn in the beginning, of course, but the good thing
is that it gets easier quickly and that the overall system design is
much more logical than the one of a certain other OS. Also keep in mind
that specialized laptop hardware and functions like suspend are among
the most difficult to configure under Linux; most other things are much
easier to get working.

> We are somehow colleagues. You can find me here
> http://www4.unifi.it/dssnp/english/professors/pantani.htm

It is nice to find other Chemists using Linux.

Florian |

Old 01-10-2008, 05:54 PM
8rino

[...]
>I think the mistake is in this line:
> [ -f $cfgs ] || continue
>It should have "$cfg" instead of "$cfgs":
> [ -f $cfg ] || continue
Removing the "s" from that line seems to work, since I do no longer get the
message
/usr/lib/pm-utils/functions: line 28: [: /etc/pm/config.d/config: binary
operator expected
Also, after the resume I do no longer get the pop-up telling that there's
something going wrong
The pop-up is the one linking to
http://people.freedesktop.org/~hughsient/quirk/

Moreover now ./quirk.checker responds
Suspend should work!
but actually it does not.

On either
a) pressing Fn+moon
or
b) on executing pm-suspend from the console 1 (Ctrl-Alt F1) as root
the system attempts to suspend, but it resumes immediately after.

After this I get these lines in /var/log/pm-suspend.log

gio gen 10 19:10:20 CET 2008: running suspend hooks.
===== gio gen 10 19:10:20 CET 2008: running hook:
/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/00clear =====
===== gio gen 10 19:10:20 CET 2008: running hook:
/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/05led =====
===== gio gen 10 19:10:20 CET 2008: running hook:
/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/10NetworkManager =====
===== gio gen 10 19:10:20 CET 2008: running hook:
/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/20video =====
===== gio gen 10 19:10:20 CET 2008: running hook:
/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/49bluetooth =====
===== gio gen 10 19:10:20 CET 2008: running hook:
/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/50modules =====
===== gio gen 10 19:10:20 CET 2008: running hook:
/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/90clock =====
===== gio gen 10 19:10:22 CET 2008: running hook:
/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/94cpufreq =====
===== gio gen 10 19:10:22 CET 2008: running hook:
/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/95led =====
===== gio gen 10 19:10:22 CET 2008: running hook:
/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/99video =====
gio gen 10 19:10:22 CET 2008: done running suspend hooks.
Machine is unknown.
This machine can be identified by:
sys_vendor = "IBM"
sys_product = "2511EJG"
sys_version = "ThinkPad Z60t"
bios_version = "77ET60WW (1.20 )"
See http://en.opensuse.org/S2ram for details.

If you report a problem, please include the complete output above.
gio gen 10 19:10:23 CET 2008: running resume hooks.
===== gio gen 10 19:10:23 CET 2008: running hook:
===== gio gen 10 19:10:24 CET 2008: running hook:
/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/50modules =====
===== gio gen 10 19:10:24 CET 2008: running hook:
/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/49bluetooth =====
===== gio gen 10 19:10:24 CET 2008: running hook:
/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/20video =====
===== gio gen 10 19:10:24 CET 2008: running hook:
/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/10NetworkManager =====
===== gio gen 10 19:10:24 CET 2008: running hook:
/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/05led =====
===== gio gen 10 19:10:24 CET 2008: running hook:
/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/00clear =====
gio gen 10 19:10:24 CET 2008: done running resume hooks.

> grep acpid /var/log/syslog
> (Normally the ACPI daemon is the one responsible for handling the
> special keys. It should write in the log which script is called. We
> might then be able to adapt this script to your needs.)

As regards grep acpid /var/log/syslog
if I write the above command, the system is simply responding with the
prompt

So it seems that the problem now has shifted to s2ram.
I've been reading http://en.opensuse.org/S2ram many times, but I cannot
figure out which could be the solution.

I've tried the following
a) from root in the 1st console: s2ram -f -a 3
OK. It suspends.
Pressing the Fn button it resumes back, with no errors, albeit the light
of the screen on resuming remain off
and I have to press Ctrl-Alt-F7 to have the lights on back.
Other options to s2ram seems not to work, since they are reporting
errors.

b) I've added "2511EJG" in
/usr/share/hal/fdi/information/10freedesktop/20-video-quirk-pm-ibm.fdi
but nothing changes.

Any further idea ?

PS
Should I report the error "cfgs for cfg" in /usr/lib/pm-utils/functions ?
Where ? At http://people.freedesktop.org/~hughsient/quirk/, possibly ?

Regards
8rino

Old 01-10-2008, 06:54 PM
Florian Kulzer

On Thu, Jan 10, 2008 at 10:54:12 -0800, 8rino wrote:

> [...]
> >I think the mistake is in this line:
> > [ -f $cfgs ] || continue
> >It should have "$cfg" instead of "$cfgs":
> > [ -f $cfg ] || continue
> Removing the "s" from that line seems to work, since I do no longer get the
> message
> /usr/lib/pm-utils/functions: line 28: [: /etc/pm/config.d/config: binary
> operator expected
> Also, after the resume I do no longer get the pop-up telling that there's
> something going wrong
> The pop-up is the one linking to
> http://people.freedesktop.org/~hughsient/quirk/
>
> Moreover now ./quirk.checker responds
> Suspend should work!
> but actually it does not.
>
> On either
> a) pressing Fn+moon
> or
> b) on executing pm-suspend from the console 1 (Ctrl-Alt F1) as root
> the system attempts to suspend, but it resumes immediately after.
>
> After this I get these lines in /var/log/pm-suspend.log

[...]

> gio gen 10 19:10:22 CET 2008: done running suspend hooks.
> Machine is unknown.
> This machine can be identified by:
> sys_vendor = "IBM"
> sys_product = "2511EJG"
> sys_version = "ThinkPad Z60t"
> bios_version = "77ET60WW (1.20 )"
> See http://en.opensuse.org/S2ram for details.
>
> If you report a problem, please include the complete output above.
> gio gen 10 19:10:23 CET 2008: running resume hooks.

[...]

> So it seems that the problem now has shifted to s2ram.
> I've been reading http://en.opensuse.org/S2ram many times, but I cannot
> figure out which could be the solution.
>
> I've tried the following
> a) from root in the 1st console: s2ram -f -a 3
> OK. It suspends.
> Pressing the Fn button it resumes back, with no errors, albeit the light
> of the screen on resuming remain off
> and I have to press Ctrl-Alt-F7 to have the lights on back.
> Other options to s2ram seems not to work, since they are reporting
> errors.
>
> b) I've added "2511EJG" in
> /usr/share/hal/fdi/information/10freedesktop/20-video-quirk-pm-ibm.fdi
> but nothing changes.
>
> Any further idea ?

I would try to edit the file /usr/lib/pm-utils/defaults. It has this
line:

# S2RAM_OPTS=""

I would change that to

S2RAM_OPTS="-f -a 3"

and try again. (It is important that you remove the "#" at the beginning
of the line, otherwise it remains commented out.)

> PS
> Should I report the error "cfgs for cfg" in /usr/lib/pm-utils/functions ?
> Where ? At http://people.freedesktop.org/~hughsient/quirk/, possibly ?

You can report it on the Debian bugs tracking system. The maintainer of
the pm-utils package will forward the information to the upstream author
if necessary. However, you should first make sure that this is really a
new bug:

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?pkg=pm-utils

Florian |

Old 01-11-2008, 02:12 PM
8rino

Florian Kulzer-3 wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 10, 2008 at 10:54:12 -0800, 8rino wrote:
>>
>> [...]
>> >I think the mistake is in this line:
>> > [ -f $cfgs ] || continue
>> >It should have "$cfg" instead of "$cfgs":
>> > [ -f $cfg ] || continue
You were right. It is already been fixed and patched
> [...]

>> I've tried the following
>> a) from root in the 1st console: s2ram -f -a 3
>> OK. It suspends.
>> Pressing the Fn button it resumes back, with no errors, albeit the
>> light
>> of the screen on resuming remain off
>> and I have to press Ctrl-Alt-F7 to have the lights on back.
>> Other options to s2ram seems not to work, since they are reporting
>> errors.
>>
>> b) I've added "2511EJG" in
>> /usr/share/hal/fdi/information/10freedesktop/20-video-quirk-pm-ibm.fdi
>> but nothing changes.
>>
>> Any further idea ?
>
> I would try to edit the file /usr/lib/pm-utils/defaults. It has this
> line:
>
> # S2RAM_OPTS=""
>
> I would change that to
>
> S2RAM_OPTS="-f -a 3"
I forgot to tell you that I already tried this, but in
/etc/pm/config.d/config as somewhere I've read that
the lines in config override the ones in defaults.
Nevertheless another patch was necessary in /usr/lib/pm-utils/bin/pm-action,
since the option --S3-bios* did not allowed other options to be passed to
s2ram.
It was a matter of a "+" missing on one line in pm-action.
It is reported in the page you gave me.
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?pkg=pm-utils
I had to change the lines

if [ -n "$ACPI_SLEEP" ]; then