Old 12-11-2008, 11:00 PM
Norma Angelica Ruiz Servin

Default WiFi para Debian en LapTop ACER

HolaÂ*

Â*

Mi LapTop ACER tiene interconstruido el WiFi pero ya no funciona muy bien, lo voy a deshabilitar en el BIOS y entonces tengo que comprar una interface WiFi, no se si USB o PCMCIA, lo que si quiero es que al instalar Debian lo reconozca sin problemasÂ* para poder usar el Netinstall.

¿Alguna de LinkSys funciona? ¿maraca, modelo? o cuál me recomiendan....

Â*

Anticipadamente gracias por leer estoÂ*

Saludos desde la Ciudad de MĂ©xico.

Atte. – Sincerely thanks

Lic. Norma AngĂ©lica Ruiz ServĂ*n

norma_ruiz_servin@msn.com

Madonna, Avril Lavigne, Maroon 5 y muchos más, En Vivo, sólo por Prodigy/MSN en concierto.

Old 12-11-2008, 11:29 PM
"Jonas Andradas"

Hello,

I'll do my best to translate this message to English:

"Hello

My Acer laptop has a built-in WiFi, but lately it does not work very
well. I am going to disable it through the BIOS. Thus, I have to buy a
new WiFi adapter, I don't know wether USB or PCMCIA. I want that,
during Debian install process, this adapter would be properly
recognized and configured without any problems, in order to be able to
use a Netinstall.

Would a Linksys work? Other brand(s), model(s)? What would you recommend?

Thanks in advance.

Regards from Ciudad de MĂ©xico,

Norma AngĂ©lica RuĂ*z ServĂ*n"

On 12/12/2008, Norma Angelica Ruiz Servin <norma_ruiz_servin@msn.com> wrote:

> Hola
>

> Mi LapTop ACER tiene interconstruido el WiFi pero ya no funciona muy bien,
> lo voy a deshabilitar en el BIOS y entonces tengo que comprar una interface
> WiFi, no se si USB o PCMCIA, lo que si quiero es que al instalar Debian lo
> reconozca sin problemas para poder usar el Netinstall.
>
> ¿Alguna de LinkSys funciona? ¿maraca, modelo? o cuál me recomiendan....
>

> Anticipadamente gracias por leer esto
>
> Saludos desde la Ciudad de MĂ©xico.
>

> Atte. – Sincerely thanks
> Lic. Norma AngĂ©lica Ruiz ServĂ*n
> norma_ruiz_servin@msn.com

> Es tu Ăşltima oportunidad para ganar premios por el simple hecho de buscar en
> internet.
> http://www.ganabuscando.com/Default.aspx

Jonás Andradas

Skype: jontux
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/andradas
GPG Fingerprint: 5A90 3319 48BC E0DC 17D9
130B B5E2 9AFD 7649 30D5
Keyservers: wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net | pgp.rediris.es

Old 12-11-2008, 11:42 PM
Celejar

On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 01:29:38 +0100
"Jonas Andradas" <j.andradas@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'll do my best to translate this message to English:
>
> "Hello
>
> My Acer laptop has a built-in WiFi, but lately it does not work very
> well. I am going to disable it through the BIOS. Thus, I have to buy a
> new WiFi adapter, I don't know wether USB or PCMCIA. I want that,
> during Debian install process, this adapter would be properly
> recognized and configured without any problems, in order to be able to
> use a Netinstall.
>
> Would a Linksys work? Other brand(s), model(s)? What would you recommend?

Brand names mean nothing; you need the chipset information. Here's a
good resource:

http://linux-wless.passys.nl/

You'll want a card that doesn't need non-free firmware (i.e., not
Broadcom), since Debian won't ship it, and to get such a card working
during installation is tricky, since you'll have to leave the standard
installation to get the firmware from somewhere else onto the machine.

Atheros used to have excellent support with Madwifi, but that won't be
available during installation, AFAIK, since it's also non-free. It's
now supported by the in-kernel ath5k / ath9k drivers, but not all
chipsets are supported yet, IIANM.

Celejar

Old 12-12-2008, 12:00 AM
Robert Smith

I am composing this reply on a Dell Latitude D610, currently running Xubuntu 8.10, equipped with a LinkSys WUSB54GC 802.11g USB WiFi adapter, and it has been working just great. It was detected automatically under both Xubuntu Intrepid and Fedora 9/10. I would imagine that it would be picked up by anything running a newer 2.6 kernel. It was not automatically detected under Knoppix 5.1.0 but was picked up by Backtrack 3. Although I haven't gotten to try it yet, I would expect that with the latest RC of Etch that it should be discovered.

Rob Smith
Posted via Xubuntu 8.10
Open technology for open minds

Old 12-12-2008, 06:18 AM
Frank Lin PIAT

[No top-quoting and no html, please]

> > On 12/12/2008, Norma Angelica Ruiz Servin wrote:
> > > Hola
> > >

> > > Mi LapTop ACER tiene interconstruido el WiFi pero ya no funciona muy bien [..]
> >
> > From: Jonas Andradas
> >
> > I'll do my best to translate this message to English:
> >
> > My Acer laptop has a built-in WiFi, but lately it does not work very
> > well. I am going to disable it through the BIOS. Thus, I have to buy a
> > new WiFi adapter, I don't know wether USB or PCMCIA. I want that,
> > during Debian install process, this adapter would be properly
> > recognized and configured without any problems, in order to be able to
> > use a Netinstall.
> >
> > Would a Linksys work? Other brand(s), model(s)? What would you recommend?

This list should be a good starting point, even though it isn't debian specific:
http://www.linuxwireless.org/en/users/Devices/USB
(note that the module ar9170 isn't in Debian).

Here's a list of USB devices supported by Debian/Lenny kernel:
http://wiki.debian.org/DeviceDatabase/USB

On Thu, 2008-12-11 at 17:00 -0800, Robert Smith wrote:
> I am composing this reply on a Dell Latitude D610, currently
> running Xubuntu 8.10, equipped with a LinkSys WUSB54GC 802.11g
> USB WiFi adapter, and it has been working just great.

Ubuntu isn't Debian.

The module is in Debian (Etch-n-half and Lenny. I don't know about
Etch), and it was reported to work zd1211. However it requires a
non-free firmware[2]

[2] http://packages.debian.org/zd1211-firmware

> It was detected automatically under both Xubuntu Intrepid and Fedora
> 9/10. I would imagine that it would be picked up by anything running a
> newer 2.6 kernel.

During Lenny installation, you need to provide the firmware manually (on
a usb key). see:

* Debian Lenny "CD" image
* Non-free Firmware,
http://www.debian.org/releases/testing/i386/ch02s02.html

Franklin

Old 12-12-2008, 01:09 PM
"Juan Carlos Avila"

AFAIK some guys from OpenBSD asked manufacturers to release their products
under a free license, US based companies did nothing, but some companies
from Taiwan did released their wireless drivers under GPL license. You can
google that for some information about brands and models. Hope it helps.