Old 12-03-2008, 08:58 PM
James Tappin

Default 5.25 inch USB drive?

On Wed, 3 Dec 2008 14:50:23 -0700
"Isaac MacFarlane" <spideyfan1972@gmail.com> wrote:

IM> Does anyone know if this even exists? I have some old floppies that
IM> I would like to get data from, but the only system that I have that
IM> has one has a dead power supply and I'm not sure if it would really
IM> be worth tracking down an old AT power supply for something that
IM> wouldn't likely be put back into service. I would think the USB
IM> drive should be less expensive anyway and I don't have to worry
IM> about how do I transfer the data once I do read it. I haven't looked
IM> at the system in years, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't even have a
IM> nic in it.

As I recall, 5.25 and 3.5 inch drives use the same cable, so if you have
a machine with a 3.5 inch drive that you don't mind taking apart, you
could take the 5.25 out of the defunct machine and put it in a newer
machine, and you're set.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:44 PM
Paolo

On Wed, Dec 03, 2008 at 02:50:23PM -0700, Isaac MacFarlane wrote:
> Does anyone know if this even exists? I have some old floppies that I
> would like to get data from, but the only system that I have that has
> one has a dead power supply and I'm not sure if it would really be

take out that 5.25 drive from the dead AT and put it in into some more
recent (working) desktop - floppy interface should still be avail on most
MB. I've seen 3.5 floppy drive on USB, but no 5.25; unfortunatly these
usually have a special connector, so swapping in the 5.25 likely won't
work. A spare old AT I gues can be found for US$ ~10 or so at repair shops,
not sure if the USB FDD would cost less.

HTH
--
paolo

Old 12-03-2008, 11:12 PM
Joe Emenaker

James Tappin wrote:

As I recall, 5.25 and 3.5 inch drives use the same cable, so if you have
a machine with a 3.5 inch drive that you don't mind taking apart, you
could take the 5.25 out of the defunct machine and put it in a newer
machine, and you're set.

Most of the 5.25" drives I've seen have an *edge* connector, not a *pin*
connector like the 3.5" do. There are two ways to solve this:

1) You can get a hold of a edge-to-pin adaptor (like this one [
http://www.jdr.com/interact/item.asp?itemno=DRIVE-EDGE ] but opposite...
mating an edge-type floppy to a pin-type cable). Unfortunately, I've
never seen the other kind, so they might not exist. Too bad, because you
could probably convert a 2.5" USB floppy to interact with a 5.25" one
with it.

2) You can get one of them old-fangled floppy connectors that has *both*
the pin and edge connectors for both the A and B drives (so, a total of
5 connectors on it)