Old 12-03-2008, 01:54 AM
"Isaac MacFarlane"

Default Network backup

Hello, I was wondering if it was possible to plug my laptop into the network and sync my files to the network so that I always have a backed up copy of my home partition? I honestly don't know how easily accomplished this would be.

Isaac MacFarlane

Old 12-03-2008, 02:13 AM
"justin joseph"

On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 8:24 AM, Isaac MacFarlane
<spideyfan1972@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello, I was wondering if it was possible to plug my laptop into the network
> and sync my files to the network so that I always have a backed up copy of
> my home partition? I honestly don't know how easily accomplished this would
> be.

http://samba.anu.edu.au/rsync/examples.html

I bought an NSLU2 and installed Debian on it for these kind of
purposes, advantage here is power saving.
Ideally maybe you need to have a server with RAID and all, I have not
used this though.

Old 12-03-2008, 02:28 AM
Michael Iatrou

When the date was Wednesday 03 December 2008, Isaac MacFarlane wrote:

> Hello, I was wondering if it was possible to plug my laptop into the
> network and sync my files to the network so that I always have a backed
> up copy of my home partition? I honestly don't know how easily
> accomplished this would be.

Using rsync(1) and friends it can be very easy.

--
Michael Iatrou (emnn)

Old 12-03-2008, 03:46 AM
Soren Stoutner

Try installing unison-gtk. It is a graphical front end for rsync (and a few
other programs) that accomplishes exactly what you want to do.