Old 11-08-2008, 04:28 PM
Bernard

Default problems with deXlan (Intersil) wifi pcmcia card

Paolo wrote:

On Sat, Nov 08, 2008 at 12:58:31PM +0100, Paolo wrote:

On Fri, Nov 07, 2008 at 07:15:11PM +0100, Bernard wrote:

According to what I have read, the 'orinoco' driver that is supposed to
also work for my 'intersil prism2' pcmcia card, does not support WPA.

hm, but checking your wpa_supp logs I notice:

Scan results: 2
Selecting BSS from priority group 0
0: 00:90:4b:c3:7d:42 ssid='Livebox-46db' wpa_ie_len=0 rsn_ie_len=0 caps=0x11
skip - no WPA/RSN IE
1: 00:16:41:65:93:51 ssid='Alice-c685' wpa_ie_len=0 rsn_ie_len=0 caps=0x11
skip - no WPA/RSN IE
No suitable AP found.

are you sure your AP is set to WPA?

Sure it is. At this very moment, I am wirelessly connected with this
desktop (using a ralink card under Debian Sarge), and my config file
(/etc/network/interfaces) is as follows :

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
auto ra0
iface ra0 inet dhcp
pre-up iwconfig ra0 essid Livebox-46db
pre-up iwpriv ra0 set AuthMode=WPAPSK
pre-up iwpriv ra0 set EncrypType=TKIP
pre-up iwpriv ra0 set WPAPSK="779xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxAD"

the pasword (or passphrase, don't exactly know how it is called: 26
char) is the same that I use with my laptop and pcmcia card ; it
connects all right on this desktop, not with the laptop.

Oh, by the way, I am going to ask a stupid question: on the desktop, I
have both an Ethernet card and a Wireless card (Wifi card) inside...
while on the laptop I have never more than one pcmcia card at a time,
either the Ethernet card (that one - D-Link 660 - works all right and
provide good cable connexions to my DSL box and to the Internet), or the
WiFi card. Indeed, at one time I got the idea to carry a test with the
Ethernet card in slot 1 and the WiFi card in slot 2... but nothing
worked, I couldn't even reboot with both cards in: the boot process got
stuck in the middle.

So, I hope that wifi connexions on laptops are supposed to work with
just a wifi card, and not an Ethernet card on top...

I went inside my DSL box, using Firefox in root mode, with
http://192.168.1.1, that allowed me to check once more the parameters:

Amongst other informations, this :

wireless network service : 802.11g
easy pairing : ON
Mode 802.11 802.11b+g
Channel: 10 - 2.457GHz
Security : WPA
etc...

Old 11-08-2008, 08:55 PM
Paolo

On Sat, Nov 08, 2008 at 06:28:18PM +0100, Bernard wrote:
> >are you sure your AP is set to WPA?
> Sure it is. At this very moment, I am wirelessly connected with this
> pre-up iwconfig ra0 essid Livebox-46db
> pre-up iwpriv ra0 set AuthMode=WPAPSK
> pre-up iwpriv ra0 set EncrypType=TKIP
> pre-up iwpriv ra0 set WPAPSK="779xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxAD"

hm, pls post output from 'iwconfig ra0' and 'iwlist ra0 scan' on that
desktop - obfuscate sensitive data of course.

> the pasword (or passphrase, don't exactly know how it is called: 26

key ?

> Ethernet card in slot 1 and the WiFi card in slot 2... but nothing
> worked, I couldn't even reboot with both cards in: the boot process got
> stuck in the middle.

resources conflict, likely - check pccard config and dmesg/boot msg; try
to insert/remove both cards when it's up and running normally, check if
it hangs/freezes, check dmesg/ifconfig/iwconfig/pccardctl if the modules
get loaded, resources are allocated, interfaces appears etc.

> So, I hope that wifi connexions on laptops are supposed to work with
> just a wifi card, and not an Ethernet card on top...

of course, they're the same thing, only the medium is different.

> I went inside my DSL box, using Firefox in root mode, with
> Security : WPA

ok, but output from above commands would be of interest anyway.

--
paolo