-   -   modem driver fun on a Thinkpad T41 (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-laptop/186985-modem-driver-fun-thinkpad-t41.html)

Nate Bargmann 11-03-2008 04:00 PM

modem driver fun on a Thinkpad T41

This one stumps me.

I am using a Thinkpad T41 that contains a Smartlink modem that does
work well with the snd-intel8x0m driver, but only after loading it
manually.

By default the system will load the module at system start and the
sl-modem-daemon scripts runs without error. However, when trying to
dial there is no dial tone and the modem device appears to go into a
hanged state and is no longer responsive.

Yet, I can blacklist the snd-intel8x0m driver in
/etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base-blacklist and the sl-modem-daemon init script
will start without error at system start, but the modem device is not
present. I can then log in as root and start the sl-modem-daemon
script manually and the modem works great.

So, when snd-intel8x0m is loaded by the kernel/udev system at start it
is inoperative. When it is loaded later by manually running the
sl-modem-daemon init script it does work.

When it is loaded automatically ALSA sees it and the various sound
mixers see the modem device. When it is loaded manually ALSA does not
see the modem device.

I have setup the sound devices in /etc/modprobe.d/sound as follows:

alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
options snd-intel8x0 index=0
alias snd-card-1 snd-intel8x0m
options snd-intel8x0m index=1 enable=1

Looking through my logs I find no errors. It would be nice if I could
get the thing to work automatically but I don't know if the problem is
module related or ALSA related.

- Nate >>