FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian Laptop

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 10-29-2008, 05:51 PM
"A. F. Cano"
 
Default wireless on an old Thinkpad 600 - more specifically sound on 600E

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 09:29:08PM +0800, Clayton wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 08:15:14 +0100
> Frank Lin PIAT <fpiat@klabs.be> wrote:
>
> ...
>
> All good advice, but.... to add some bad news, support for older
> hardware sometimes seems to be going more then it is coming lately. I
> also have a Thinkpad 600e, as well as, for the record, a Pentium III
> Thinkpad a21m. Both have the misfortune to have sound cards that the
> Debian project has declared "evil" and blacklisted, apparently because
> of non-open firmware issues. The snd_cs46xx driver has been booted out

I have a 600E and had no end of trouble with the sound card. I posted
questions to this list a long time ago and the one suggestion that
worked was to compile a kernel without the cs46xx driver.

It appears that the kernel insisted on loading this in preference to
other drivers and the sound hardware didn't work, even when I
blacklisted it and forcefully inserted the proper one. I presume that
by that time the resources had been marked as used, or initialized in
some way that made them unusable.

> of the kernel [3a], and both of these machines are now without sound (I
> am guessing if I rolled my own kernel.org kernel, it would work, but I
> have not tried):

Since I had that issue, I compiled a debian kernel (2.6.18), the debian
way with the debian tools, without the cs46xx driver, but with the cs4231
driver. The sound card works just fine.

> Thinkpad 600e:
> 00:06.0 Multimedia audio controller: Cirrus Logic CS 4610/11
> [CrystalClear SoundFusion Audio Accelerator] (rev 01)

That's the exact one I have.

> Thinkpad a21m
> 00:05.0 Multimedia audio controller: Cirrus Logic CS 4614/22/24/30
> [CrystalClear SoundFusion Audio Accelerator] (rev 01)

I wouldn't be surprised if the same driver (cs4231) would work on this
machine. Maybe at least a subset of features?

> To add to the mayhem, I also have a Pentium III Thinkpad i1300, and the
> ...

Can't offer any specific help about the other problems...

A.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-laptop-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 10-30-2008, 12:10 AM
Bob Proulx
 
Default wireless on an old Thinkpad 600 - more specifically sound on 600E

A. F. Cano wrote:
> I have a 600E and had no end of trouble with the sound card. I posted
> questions to this list a long time ago and the one suggestion that
> worked was to compile a kernel without the cs46xx driver.
>
> It appears that the kernel insisted on loading this in preference to
> other drivers and the sound hardware didn't work, even when I
> blacklisted it and forcefully inserted the proper one. I presume that
> by that time the resources had been marked as used, or initialized in
> some way that made them unusable.

One option that has worked for me in other similar but different
situations is to move/remove the module from the filesystem. With it
gone from the disk the kernel couldn't load it. That worked for me
without needing to recompile the kernel without the module.

Bob
 
Old 10-30-2008, 01:28 PM
"A. C. Censi"
 
Default wireless on an old Thinkpad 600 - more specifically sound on 600E

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 11:10 PM, Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> wrote:

> One option that has worked for me in other similar but different
> situations is to move/remove the module from the filesystem. With it
> gone from the disk the kernel couldn't load it. That worked for me
> without needing to recompile the kernel without the module.
>

Why not put a blacklist entry in /etc/modprobe.d? Use as a model
entries already there.

--
A. C. Censi
accensi [em] gmail [ponto] com
accensi [em] montreal [ponto] com [ponto] br


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-laptop-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 10-30-2008, 03:22 PM
Bob Proulx
 
Default wireless on an old Thinkpad 600 - more specifically sound on 600E

A. C. Censi wrote:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
> > One option that has worked for me in other similar but different
> > situations is to move/remove the module from the filesystem. With it
> > gone from the disk the kernel couldn't load it. That worked for me
> > without needing to recompile the kernel without the module.
>
> Why not put a blacklist entry in /etc/modprobe.d? Use as a model
> entries already there.

The answer to this question was in the part I quoted from and was
responding to:

A. F. Cano wrote:
> It appears that the kernel insisted on loading this in preference to
> other drivers and the sound hardware didn't work, even when I
> blacklisted it and forcefully inserted the proper one. I presume that
> by that time the resources had been marked as used, or initialized in
> some way that made them unusable.

As you can see I was well aware of the module blacklist functionality.
It was used but did not prevent the problem.

I can only add to the fud here by saying I have seen similar problems
in the past. Even though the module was blacklisted this didn't seem
to be enough to avoid the problem. Only by making sure that it was
not possible to load the module could I avoid the problem. It appears
by A. F. Cano's posting that I was not the only one with that issue.

I do not know because I was not able to debug this to root cause but I
will guess that there were scripts where the loading of the module was
hard coded. I will guess that these scripts did not consult the
blacklist.

Again I do not know if any of those problems historically seen are
still active today. Time goes by, old bugs are fixed, new bugs are
created, and the world doesn't stay the same. I am not currently
having any problems of this type but have moved on to more mainstream
hardware too.

Bob
 
Old 10-30-2008, 04:40 PM
"justin joseph"
 
Default wireless on an old Thinkpad 600 - more specifically sound on 600E

The problem with sound on 600E is I understand a Historical one. I
owned the 600E for sometime and had faced this problem.
I remember that the problem is the fact that though the 600E sound
chip is of a particular make, it is detected as something else.

I remember solving it by uninstalling discover and a combination of
blacklisting and modprobing the right drivers(not sure though)
Its been years since I parted with the 600E.

thinkwiki describes this problem:

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Problem_with_broken_sound_on_ThinkPad_600

And am sure there would a a lot and lot of google hits for the same,
because like I mentioned it is a very well known problem.



On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 9:52 PM, Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> wrote:
> A. C. Censi wrote:
>> Bob Proulx wrote:
>> > One option that has worked for me in other similar but different
>> > situations is to move/remove the module from the filesystem. With it
>> > gone from the disk the kernel couldn't load it. That worked for me
>> > without needing to recompile the kernel without the module.
>>
>> Why not put a blacklist entry in /etc/modprobe.d? Use as a model
>> entries already there.
>
> The answer to this question was in the part I quoted from and was
> responding to:
>
> A. F. Cano wrote:
>> It appears that the kernel insisted on loading this in preference to
>> other drivers and the sound hardware didn't work, even when I
>> blacklisted it and forcefully inserted the proper one. I presume that
>> by that time the resources had been marked as used, or initialized in
>> some way that made them unusable.
>
> As you can see I was well aware of the module blacklist functionality.
> It was used but did not prevent the problem.
>
> I can only add to the fud here by saying I have seen similar problems
> in the past. Even though the module was blacklisted this didn't seem
> to be enough to avoid the problem. Only by making sure that it was
> not possible to load the module could I avoid the problem. It appears
> by A. F. Cano's posting that I was not the only one with that issue.
>
> I do not know because I was not able to debug this to root cause but I
> will guess that there were scripts where the loading of the module was
> hard coded. I will guess that these scripts did not consult the
> blacklist.
>
> Again I do not know if any of those problems historically seen are
> still active today. Time goes by, old bugs are fixed, new bugs are
> created, and the world doesn't stay the same. I am not currently
> having any problems of this type but have moved on to more mainstream
> hardware too.
>
> Bob
>
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
> Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)
>
> iD8DBQFJCd9X0pRcO8E2ULYRAiwmAJwPwH0exckNAjjMuZNwvx Gzvf9GPwCfT9h+
> 3yapr480D1OXDNxEPjo7U60=
> =P6c/
> -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
>
>


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-laptop-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 10-31-2008, 01:42 PM
Clayton
 
Default wireless on an old Thinkpad 600 - more specifically sound on 600E

On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 23:10:56 +0530
"justin joseph" <justinjoseph007@gmail.com> wrote:

> The problem with sound on 600E is I understand a Historical one. I
> owned the 600E for sometime and had faced this problem.
> I remember that the problem is the fact that though the 600E sound
> chip is of a particular make, it is detected as something else.
>
> I remember solving it by uninstalling discover and a combination of
> blacklisting and modprobing the right drivers(not sure though)
> Its been years since I parted with the 600E.
>
> thinkwiki describes this problem:
>
> http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Problem_with_broken_sound_on_ThinkPad_600
>
> And am sure there would a a lot and lot of google hits for the same,
> because like I mentioned it is a very well known problem.

Indeed, there is an awful lot of advice out there about how to get the
600 / 600e's sound working, and everyone's advice seems to be a little
different. I burnt off three more hours this eve trying the above
thinkwiki suggestions for my 600e, plus various other ALSA module
blacklist / modprobe voodoo, all to no avail. Another machine that does
not work with ALSA....

Actually, the root problem is probably deeper then ALSA (IRQ conflict?)
as in its current state, not even USB audio works for me. USB audio has
*always* worked on my other machines, without exception.

Clayton


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-laptop-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 10-31-2008, 06:00 PM
Eric De Mund
 
Default wireless on an old Thinkpad 600 - more specifically sound on 600E

Clayton,

Justin Joseph <justinjoseph007@gmail.com>:
> The problem with sound on 600E is I understand a Historical one. I
> owned the 600E for sometime and had faced this problem. I remember
> that the problem is the fact that though the 600E sound chip is of
> a particular make, it is detected as something else.
>
> I remember solving it by uninstalling discover and a combination of
> blacklisting and modprobing the right drivers(not sure though) It's
> been years since I parted with the 600E.
>
> ThinkWiki describes this problem:
>
> http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Problem_with_broken_sound_on_ThinkPad_600
>
> And am sure there would a a lot and lot of google hits for the same,
> because like I mentioned it is a very well known problem.

Clayton <ckoeni@gmail.com>:
] Indeed, there is an awful lot of advice out there about how to get the
] 600 / 600e's sound working, and everyone's advice seems to be a little
] different. I burnt off three more hours this eve trying the above Think-
] Wiki suggestions for my 600e, plus various other ALSA module blacklist
] / modprobe voodoo, all to no avail. Another machine that does not work
] with ALSA....
]
] Actually, the root problem is probably deeper then ALSA (IRQ conflict?)
] as in its current state, not even USB audio works for me. USB audio has
] *always* worked on my other machines, without exception.

Sorry to hear of your troubles. I too am a proud owner of a ThinkPad
600, and getting sound set up used to give me fits practically every
other release of Debian. Then I managed to stumble upon a tried and
true recipe.

However, this time around, with Debian 4.0r4, that tried and true
recipe failed to work. Then, a couple of days later, it worked. And
I truly changed nothing in the interim. So my advice is to try the
recipe I'm enclosing here.

/-----------------------------
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=14178&start=0&postdays=0&postorder =asc&highlight=
PostPosted: 2008-08-15 23:42 Post subject: Re: Sound on Thinkpad 600

All,

On the very same Thinkpad 600 (Type 2645-51U, BIOS IBET53WW), my
previously noted steps failed to get sound working under Debian 4.0r3
and were on track to fail again under (a clean installation of) Debian
4.0r4 (Testing branch). Very frustrating. However, I did, for some
reason, finally achieve success under Debian 4.0r4.

The steps:

0. BIOS (enter BIOS by pressing F1 key while booting)

a. Select "Initialize".
b. Select "Disable Quick Boot".

1. Packages

a. alsa-utils (in order to get /usr/sbin/alsaconf, which seems to
be necessary again)
b. mpg123 (for my console sound test)
c. xfmedia (for my X Window System sound test)

2. </etc/modules> file

Must contain these lines:
Quote:
loop
snd-cs4236

3. </etc/modprobe.d/sound> file

Must contain these lines:
Quote:
alias snd-card-0 snd-cs4236
options snd-cs4236 index=0 isapnp=0 port=0x530 cport=0x538 irq=5
dma1=1 dma2=0

4. Blacklist snd-cs4232 module

File </etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base-blacklist> must contain these lines:
Quote:
# blacklist snd-atiixp-modem
# blacklist snd-intel8x0m
# blacklist snd-via82xx-modem
blacklist snd-cs4232

Now, for whatever reason, these 4 steps, while sufficient under Debian
4.0r0, were not sufficient under 4.0r3 and may not be sufficient under
4.0r4. Additionally, I needed to:

5. Run alsaconf(8)

Here is where things got strange. I ran </usr/sbin/alsaconf> and
tried to autoprobe my sound card. It of course again mistakenly
found a cs4232 card. On my first go around, I told it to continue
searching for ISA legacy cards; it found one, and I let it rewrite
my </etc/modules> and </etc/modprobe.d/sound> files. Upon rebooting,
I of course had no sound. I then reran </usr/sbin/alsaconf> and ac-
cepted that there was a cs4232 card on board. Upon rebooting, the
system hung. After performing a Debian rescue and removing the of-
fending entries in </etc/modules> and </etc/modprobe.d/sound>, I
rebooted. Then I manually followed the first 4 steps above, reboot-
ed, and lo, I had sound. Aggravating to not know why it worked now
while before it didn't.

Regardless, there you have it for sound on a Debian 4.0r4 (Testing
branch) on a Thinkpad 600 (Type 2645-51U, BIOS IBET53WW).

Best,
Eric De Mund
-----------------------------

Regards,
Eric
--
Eric De Mund | Ixian Systems | Jab: eadixian@jabber.org/main
ead@ixian.com | 650 Castro St, #120-210 | Y!M: ead0002
ixian.com/ead/ | Mountain View, CA 94041 | ICQ: 811788


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-laptop-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 11-10-2008, 12:49 AM
"A. F. Cano"
 
Default wireless on an old Thinkpad 600 - more specifically sound on 600E

On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 10:42:26PM +0800, Clayton wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 23:10:56 +0530
> "justin joseph" <justinjoseph007@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > ...
> > http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Problem_with_broken_sound_on_ThinkPad_600
> >
> > And am sure there would a a lot and lot of google hits for the same,
> > because like I mentioned it is a very well known problem.
>
> Indeed, there is an awful lot of advice out there about how to get the
> 600 / 600e's sound working, and everyone's advice seems to be a little
> different. I burnt off three more hours this eve trying the above
> thinkwiki suggestions for my 600e, plus various other ALSA module
> blacklist / modprobe voodoo, all to no avail. Another machine that does
> not work with ALSA....
>
> Actually, the root problem is probably deeper then ALSA (IRQ conflict?)
> as in its current state, not even USB audio works for me. USB audio has
> *always* worked on my other machines, without exception.

Maybe this can help. A few days ago, the cmos battery died (at power
up, the bios was asking me for date and time). I bought a new one from
ebay and installed it. Now the computer remembered the date and time,
and everything was back to normal, except that the %&*@# sound system
again didn't work. The driver got into a loop when loaded, it was not
possible to unload it or kill it and cpu utilization went to 100%.

Luckily I took good notes when I got it to work. The devices got
disabled when the cmos battery died. Doing this re-enabled them:

# echo 'activate' > /sys/devices/pnp0/00:06/resources
# echo 'activate' > /sys/devices/pnp0/00:07/resources

After that, the sound driver (snd-cs4231) loads just fine and sound is
back to normal.

# cat /sys/devices/pnp0/00:06/resources
state = active
io 0x538-0x53f

# cat /sys/devices/pnp0/00:07/resources
state = active
io 0x388-0x38b
io 0x220-0x233
io 0x530-0x537
irq 5
dma 1
dma 0

Before the re-activation, "disabled" was returned.

A.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-laptop-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 05:36 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org