-   -   wireless on an old Thinkpad 600 (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-laptop/183767-wireless-old-thinkpad-600-a.html)

Bernard 10-28-2008 10:44 PM

wireless on an old Thinkpad 600

Hi to everyone !

I would like to install wireless facilities on my old Thinkpad. It has a
300 Mhz processor, 128 MB of RAM, and 4.1 GB of space on hard disk. It
used to run on RedHat 7.2, which stayed there for about six years without
any problem. Since I have been unable to get wireless working on it using
pcmcia IBM 'EtherJet' card and a router in client mode 'FON2200' (the so
called Fonera), I installed Debian Sarge instead of RedHat 7.2.

This Debian system still did not acknowledge the EtherJet card, but it
accepted an Ethernet pcmcia 'D-Link 660' card, and gave
me a good fast 1 MB DSL connexion. Now, my purpose is to have a wireless
connexion to my DSL
modem/router (as well as connexions to hotels wireless facilities etc..).
I thought that I could achieve this with the router Fonera, but, even
though I have tested this with Microsoft Windows 98, I can't get it
working on Linux.

My first question concerns the cable connexion between the router Fonera
and my pcmcia Ethernet cards. My first Ethernet card, the IBM 'EtherJet'
gets connected with four plugs : five pins, six pins, then a sort of a
hook in the center, then again six pins, then five pins. It seems rather
weird as a plugging system. This, as I said, goes into the pcmcia
EtherJet card ; in the other end of the cable there is something that
looks like a standard network plug ; it is supposed to get plugged into
the router Fonera. This EtherJet card, with this special cable does
provide a connexion with the router under Microsoft Windows. But, as I
said before, this EtherJet card is not being reckognized on my Debian
system (or I have not been able to get it to work on it). On the contrary,
the D-Link Ethernet card is being reckognized under Debian... but it does
not provide the same plugging system as the other card... Instead of that
weird 4 plugs system, it takes only one central plug with I can't count
how many pins, which central plug is connected to a converting cord which
other end has a female outlet in which any network cable can be inserted.
This system does work for Ethernet either on MS Windows or on Linux, but I
have not been able to get it to connect to the router Fonera in either
system. I mean : the plugging is feasable as far as plugs and converters
are concerned, but, once done, the Fonera does not respond to calls to its
addresses 169.254.255.1 and 192.168.1.1, while it does with the other
plugging system, at least under Windows. Is this normal, or have I missed
something ? In any case, how can I solve this problem ? which Ethernet
pcmcia card will have the same plugging system as the EtherJet card as
well as being workable under Linux ? From the above report of trials, I
am unable to know whether the fact that I cannot run this system under
Linux is due to this system or to the connection mode...

Thanks in advance for any useful tips or information.

Clayton 10-29-2008 05:32 AM

wireless on an old Thinkpad 600

Hi Bernard,

On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 00:44:04 +0100
Bernard <bdebreil@teaser.fr> wrote:

> This Debian system still did not acknowledge the EtherJet card, but it
> accepted an Ethernet pcmcia 'D-Link 660' card, and gave
> me a good fast 1 MB DSL connexion. Now, my purpose is to have a

Having seen it work in one environment, you now know the Ethernet pcmcia
'D-Link 660' card works with Debian.

> wireless connexion to my DSL
> modem/router (as well as connexions to hotels wireless facilities
> etc..). I thought that I could achieve this with the router Fonera,
> but, even though I have tested this with Microsoft Windows 98, I
> can't get it working on Linux.

If you saw a particular wireless card connect successfully to a wireless
network using Microsoft Windows 98, you now know that that wireless
card has working hardware. There is no guarantee, however, that Debian
has a software driver that will talk to the card. What I do personally,
when I need a wireless card, is I go to the local second-hand computer
gear market with my laptop and physically test *any* PCMCIA card
(wireless or otherwise) to verify it works with Debian before I buy it.
Depending on where you live, that may or may not be easy. This is the
list of wireless cards I have right now:
http://blog.langex.net/index.cgi/xHW/wirelessCards/index

> My first question concerns the cable connexion between the router
> Fonera and my pcmcia Ethernet cards. My first Ethernet card, the IBM

Do not worry (much) about the cable that comes with a particular
Ethernet card. If the plug fits in the socket, and you can make the
card work in any environment using any OS, you know the card and the
cable are good. Then if you trouble in a different environment, the
problem probably lies with either the network configuration of your OS
or the router you are trying to connect to.

> converters are concerned, but, once done, the Fonera does not respond
> to calls to its addresses 169.254.255.1 and 192.168.1.1, while it
> does with the other plugging system, at least under Windows. Is this
> normal, or have I missed something ? In any case, how can I solve

If you successfully connected to the Fonera with this same card using a
Windows system, then there is no problem with card or Fonera.
Networking is not properly configured on your Debian system.

> this problem ? which Ethernet pcmcia card will have the same
> plugging system as the EtherJet card as well as being workable under
> Linux ? From the above report of trials, I am unable to know whether
> the fact that I cannot run this system under Linux is due to this
> system or to the connection mode...

Again, do not worry about what the cable looks like, as long as you know
the cable works. I think this is the chapter of the manual that you are
looking for:
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-gateway.en.html#s-net-high
I don't know anything about Fonera's, but most routers by default run
DHCP networks, so you *probably* need to to configure your ethernet
interface for DHCP, ie. if your card is eth0, make
sure /etc/network/interfaces contains this line:

iface eth0 inet dhcp

then as root in a terminal, execute these two commands:

ifdown eth0
ifup eth0

If it works, you will see an IP address assigned in your terminal.

Clayton

Frank Lin PIAT 10-29-2008 06:15 AM

wireless on an old Thinkpad 600

Hello,

On Wed, 2008-10-29 at 00:44 +0100, Bernard wrote:

> I would like to install wireless facilities on my old Thinkpad. It has
> a 300 Mhz processor, 128 MB of RAM, and 4.1 GB of space on hard disk.
> It used to run on RedHat 7.2, which stayed there for about six years
> without any problem. Since I have been unable to get wireless working
> on it using pcmcia IBM 'EtherJet' card and a router in client mode
> 'FON2200' (the so called Fonera), I installed Debian Sarge instead of
> RedHat 7.2.

Keep in mind that Debian Sarge was discontinued since March 2008 [1].
>From your point of view, this mainly means that it has no security
update.
Debian Sarge[2a], Etch[2b] and Lenny[2c] seems to have the same RAM
requirements. You might want to install XFCE desktop rather that the
default desktop (gnome) as explained in [2c].

Franklin

[1] http://www.debian.org/News/2008/20080229
[2a] http://www.debian.org/releases/sarge/i386/ch03s04.html
[2b] http://www.debian.org/releases/etch/i386/ch03s04.html
[2c] http://www.debian.org/releases/lenny/i386/ch03s04.html

Clayton 10-29-2008 12:29 PM

wireless on an old Thinkpad 600

On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 08:15:14 +0100
Frank Lin PIAT <fpiat@klabs.be> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Wed, 2008-10-29 at 00:44 +0100, Bernard wrote:
> >
> > router in client mode 'FON2200' (the so called Fonera), I installed
> > Debian Sarge instead of RedHat 7.2.
>
> Keep in mind that Debian Sarge was discontinued since March 2008 [1].
> From your point of view, this mainly means that it has no security
> update.
> Debian Sarge[2a], Etch[2b] and Lenny[2c] seems to have the same RAM
> requirements. You might want to install XFCE desktop rather that the
> default desktop (gnome) as explained in [2c].

All good advice, but.... to add some bad news, support for older
hardware sometimes seems to be going more then it is coming lately. I
also have a Thinkpad 600e, as well as, for the record, a Pentium III
Thinkpad a21m. Both have the misfortune to have sound cards that the
Debian project has declared "evil" and blacklisted, apparently because
of non-open firmware issues. The snd_cs46xx driver has been booted out
of the kernel [3a], and both of these machines are now without sound (I
am guessing if I rolled my own kernel.org kernel, it would work, but I
have not tried):

Thinkpad 600e:
00:06.0 Multimedia audio controller: Cirrus Logic CS 4610/11
[CrystalClear SoundFusion Audio Accelerator] (rev 01)

Thinkpad a21m
00:05.0 Multimedia audio controller: Cirrus Logic CS 4614/22/24/30
[CrystalClear SoundFusion Audio Accelerator] (rev 01)

To add to the mayhem, I also have a Pentium III Thinkpad i1300, and the
current Debian kernel linux-image-2.6.26-1-686 panics on boot, every
time[3b]. Hopefully this will go away soon, meanwhile I use older
kernels, but.... This same Thinkpad i1300 had Xorg stop working more
then a year ago[3c]. I have not actually tried (it is currently doing
duty as a server) but if I wanted it fully functional, I would probably
have to downgrade to at least Etch.

Perhaps this is not a trend and I am just extraordinarily unlucky....

So I would also advise the original poster to upgrade to Lenny, just
be aware that you may have to run an older kernel, or build your own
kernel.org kernel, if you want the on-board sound card to work.
Personally, I just use USB sound.

Clayton

[3a] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=462035
[3b] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=501118
[3c] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=428711

Bernard 10-30-2008 10:47 PM

wireless on an old Thinkpad 600

Hi Clayton, Hi to everyone,

Le Wed, 29 Oct 2008 07:40:07 +0100, Clayton a écrit*:

> Hi Bernard,
>

>> My first question concerns the cable connexion between the router
>> Fonera and my pcmcia Ethernet cards. My first Ethernet card, the IBM
>
> Do not worry (much) about the cable that comes with a particular
> Ethernet card. If the plug fits in the socket, and you can make the
> card work in any environment using any OS, you know the card and the
> cable are good. Then if you trouble in a different environment, the
> problem probably lies with either the network configuration of your OS
> or the router you are trying to connect to.
>

> If you successfully connected to the Fonera with this same card using a
> Windows system, then there is no problem with card or Fonera.
> Networking is not properly configured on your Debian system.
>
>> this problem ? which Ethernet pcmcia card will have the same
>> plugging system as the EtherJet card as well as being workable under
>> Linux ? From the above report of trials, I am unable to know whether
>> the fact that I cannot run this system under Linux is due to this
>> system or to the connection mode...
>
> Again, do not worry about what the cable looks like, as long as you know
> the cable works. I think this is the chapter of the manual that you are
> looking for:
> http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-gateway.en.html#s-net-high

This is an interresting document for me. I read it and bookmarked it,
since I am sure that I will soon get back to it. Still, at this stage, I
can't figure how I am going to get on the way with this router
"fonera". I got something new though. At first, I must point out that I
have installed ETCH instead of the Sarge that I had. The problems that I
had encountered with X environment have been mostly solved to a point that
I now get a workable environment. On that ETCH system, when the router
FONERA is cabled to the pcmcia D-Link Ethernet card, 'ifconfig' gives me
this :

#ifconfig
eth0 Encap link:Ethernet HWaddr 00:80:.....
UP BROADCAST RUNNING...
etc..

eth0:3 Encap link: Ethernet HWadr 00:80:..... (same address as above)
inet adr:169.254.12.9 Broadcast:169.254.255.255 netmask:255.255.0.0
UP BROADCASST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 ...
Interruption: 3 Base address:0x300

lo Encap link: Local loop
inet adr:127.0.0.1
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING ...
etc..

eth0:3 ?? What on Earth is this ? I have never seen anything like
this... this eth0:3 only appears after a few 2-3 minutes. The IP address
that it bears (169.254.12.9) is of the same domain as that of the given
address of the 'FONERA' (169.254.255.1)

If the ifconfig test is being done
right after boot, eth0:3 does not show. Furthermore, after another while
(or after the call of another function, I can't remember for sure),
iwconfig mentions, besides 'lo', 'eth0' and 'irda0', something else that
is called 'sit0'.

I have not so far been able to 'enter' this router using Firefox/Iceweasel
by any of the addresses that worked under Microsoft Windows :
169.254.255.1, and, since I switched it into "client" mode :
192.168.1.1.

So far, I really don't know what I should try next, and how am I going to
use this router in client mode as a medium to get Wireless connexion to
my DSL router and, from there, to the Internet.

Thanks in advance for more hints.

> I don't know anything about Fonera's, but most routers
by default run
> DHCP networks, so you *probably* need to to configure your ethernet
> interface for DHCP, ie. if your card is eth0, make sure
> /etc/network/interfaces contains this line:
>
> iface eth0 inet dhcp
>
> then as root in a terminal, execute these two commands:
>
> ifdown eth0
> ifup eth0
>
> If it works, you will see an IP address assigned in your terminal.

Yes, this works all right with my DSL box/router whenever the appropriate
cable is there, as my /etc/network/interfaces file does contain 'iface
eth0 inet dhcp', but I don't know how to get my other router 'FONERA' to
work and wirelessly connect to said DSL/router.

When the cable links the Fonera instead of the DSL box/router, the 'ifup
eth0' command shows repeated attempts :

DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 7
DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 9
DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 21
DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 18
No DHCPOFFERS received
No working leases in persistent database - sleeping

Clayton 10-31-2008 03:54 AM

wireless on an old Thinkpad 600

On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 00:47:19 +0100
Bernard <bdebreil@teaser.fr> wrote:

> Hi Clayton, Hi to everyone,
>
> Le Wed, 29 Oct 2008 07:40:07 +0100, Clayton a écrit*:
>
> router "fonera". I got something new though. At first, I must point
> out that I have installed ETCH instead of the Sarge that I had. The
> problems that I had encountered with X environment have been mostly
> solved to a point that I now get a workable environment. On that ETCH
> system, when the router FONERA is cabled to the pcmcia D-Link
> Ethernet card, 'ifconfig' gives me this :
>
> #ifconfig
> eth0 Encap link:Ethernet HWaddr 00:80:.....
> UP BROADCAST RUNNING...
> etc..
>
> eth0:3 Encap link: Ethernet HWadr 00:80:..... (same address as
> above) inet adr:169.254.12.9 Broadcast:169.254.255.255
> netmask:255.255.0.0 UP BROADCASST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 ...
> Interruption: 3 Base address:0x300
>
> lo Encap link: Local loop
> inet adr:127.0.0.1
> UP LOOPBACK RUNNING ...
> etc..
>
> eth0:3 ?? What on Earth is this ? I have never seen anything like
> this... this eth0:3 only appears after a few 2-3 minutes. The IP
> address that it bears (169.254.12.9) is of the same domain as that of
> the given address of the 'FONERA' (169.254.255.1)

I am far from an expert on networking, but your "eth0:3" looks like a
virtual interface: http://handsonhowto.com/virt.html

This should not appear spontaneously, perhaps grep /etc for "eth0:3"
and see what might be causing this? Maybe try
deleting /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules and reboot? (I am
grasping at straws, but I am recalling having a major headache
with that persistent-net.rules during a past upgrade.....)

> If the ifconfig test is being done
> right after boot, eth0:3 does not show. Furthermore, after another
> while (or after the call of another function, I can't remember for
> sure), iwconfig mentions, besides 'lo', 'eth0' and 'irda0', something
> else that is called 'sit0'.
>
> I have not so far been able to 'enter' this router using
> Firefox/Iceweasel by any of the addresses that worked under Microsoft
> Windows : 169.254.255.1, and, since I switched it into "client" mode :
> 192.168.1.1.
>
> So far, I really don't know what I should try next, and how am I
> going to use this router in client mode as a medium to get Wireless
> connexion to my DSL router and, from there, to the Internet.

I think you need to figure out where it is coming from / get rid of that
eth0:3 thing before worrying about networking. This is totally
non-standard behavior, and I too have never seen that happen before....

> > I don't know anything about Fonera's, but most routers
> by default run
> > DHCP networks, so you *probably* need to to configure your ethernet
> > interface for DHCP, ie. if your card is eth0, make sure
> > /etc/network/interfaces contains this line:
> >
> > iface eth0 inet dhcp
> >
> > then as root in a terminal, execute these two commands:
> >
> > ifdown eth0
> > ifup eth0
> >
> > If it works, you will see an IP address assigned in your terminal.
>
> Yes, this works all right with my DSL box/router whenever the
> appropriate cable is there, as my /etc/network/interfaces file does
> contain 'iface eth0 inet dhcp', but I don't know how to get my other
> router 'FONERA' to work and wirelessly connect to said DSL/router.
>
> When the cable links the Fonera instead of the DSL box/router, the
> 'ifup eth0' command shows repeated attempts :
>
> DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 7
> DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 9
> DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 21
> DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 18
> No DHCPOFFERS received
> No working leases in persistent database - sleeping

ifconfig lists all active ("up") network interfaces.
"ifconfig -a" lists all installed network interfaces, whether they are
active or not.

The one you want to use (eth0, eth1, eth2, ...., wlan0, maybe even
eth0:3) should be represented in the /etc/network/interfaces file per
above. As long as you are doing ifup on the right one, it should work
if there is nothing wrong with your router (unlikely since Windows
works?) or there is something more subtle wrong on your end. Try ifup
on eth0:3. Try to get rid of eth0:3 because it is muddying the water.

Clayton

bd 10-31-2008 11:06 AM

Le Fri, 31 Oct 2008 06:00:12 +0100, Clayton a écrit:

> On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 00:47:19 +0100
> Bernard <bdebreil@teaser.fr> wrote:
>
>> Hi Clayton, Hi to everyone,
>>
>> Le Wed, 29 Oct 2008 07:40:07 +0100, Clayton a écrit*:
>>

> This should not appear spontaneously, perhaps grep /etc for "eth0:3"
> and see what might be causing this? Maybe try
> deleting /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules and reboot? (I am
> grasping at straws, but I am recalling having a major headache
> with that persistent-net.rules during a past upgrade.....)

I have searched and not found any track of "eth0:3". There may be a
misunderstanding about what it really means. Now that I have installed PAN
on that Thinkpad 600, it becomes feasable to use copy/paste, so, here is
what I get, WHILE MY PCMCIA ETHERNET CARD IS CABLED TO MY DSL BOX/ROUTER :

begin copy/paste *******************
localhost:/home/bd# ifconfig
eth0 Lien encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:80:...
inet adr:192.168.1.11 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Masque:255.255.255.0
adr inet6: fe80::280:c8ff:feb9:fdc5/64 Scope:Lien
collisions:0 lg file transmission:1000
RX bytes:19481548 (18.5 MiB) TX bytes:778010 (759.7 KiB)
Interruption:3 Adresse de base:0x300

lo Lien encap:Boucle locale
inet adr:127.0.0.1 Masque:255.0.0.0
adr inet6: ::1/128 Scope:Hôte
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
collisions:0 lg file transmission:0
RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

localhost:/home/bd# iwconfig

lo no wireless extensions.

irda0 no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

sit0 no wireless extensions.

end copy/paste ******************************

Funny enough this 'sit0'. I don't now what it is ; it appears sometimes, I
thought it did happen only when the FONERA router was cabled in, but this
is not the case for now.

now, here were the contents of /etc/network/interfaces :

begin copy/paste ************

This file describes the network interfaces available on your system

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

localhost:/home/bd#

end copy/paste ********************

Now I just carried a new test. I unplugged the cable coming from the DSL
box/router that provides my internet connexion ; instead I plugged the
cable coming from the FONERA/routeur, that is, I plugged it onto the
pcmcia ethernet card slot. I changed the /etc/network/interfaces file,
which I made as follows :

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address 169.254.255.1
netmask 255.255.0.0
gateway 169.254.255.1

end copy/paste ******************

This being done, I launched a network restart:

/etc/init.d/networking restart :

localhost:/etc/network# /etc/init.d/networking restart
Reconfiguring network interfaces...done.

OK

Now : ifup eth0. No reply, just the shell back, which means 'OK'

Why 'ifup', not 'ifconfig' ? I have read a bit more of the document you
pointed to me yesterday. Amongst a lot of other things, it is being said
that it is unwise to play both with 'low level network configuration
tools' and 'high level tools', since several bugs may show, for instance
if you have configured once with ifconfig and then change something else
using ifup ou ifdown, the proper config files may have not been updated
allright and your system may show something that is gone or vice versa.
The 'eth0:3' may be due to such kind of messing around. So, from now on, I
still use 'ifconfig' with no argument so as to see what it says, but for
anything else I use 'ifupdown'. So, here is what I get with 'ifconfig'
alone :

start copy/paste ***************

localhost:/etc/network# ifconfig
eth0 Lien encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:80:C8:B9:FD:C5
inet adr:169.254.255.1 Bcast:169.254.255.255 Masque:255.255.0.0
adr inet6: fe80::280:c8ff:feb9:fdc5/64 Scope:Lien

localhost:/etc/network# iwconfig
lo no wireless extensions.

irda0 no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

sit0 no wireless extensions.

localhost:/etc/network# ifconfig -a
eth0 Lien encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:80:C8:B9:FD:C5
inet adr:169.254.255.1 Bcast:169.254.255.255 Masque:255.255.0.0
adr inet6: fe80::280:c8ff:feb9:fdc5/64 Scope:Lien
collisions:0 lg file transmission:1000
RX bytes:19491975 (18.5 MiB) TX bytes:793654 (775.0 KiB)
Interruption:3 Adresse de base:0x300

irda0 Lien encap:IrLAP HWaddr 00:00:00:00
NOARP MTU:2048 Metric:1
collisions:0 lg file transmission:8
RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

lo Lien encap:Boucle locale
inet adr:127.0.0.1 Masque:255.0.0.0
adr inet6: ::1/128 Scope:Hôte
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
collisions:0 lg file transmission:0
RX bytes:3412 (3.3 KiB) TX bytes:3412 (3.3 KiB)

sit0 Lien encap:IPv6-dans-IPv4
NOARP MTU:1480 Metric:1
collisions:0 lg file transmission:0
RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

localhost:/etc/network#

end copy/paste *******************

Now, in this state, that is, with eth0 configured with the FONERA address,
what should I do so as to go further, I mean, to make sure that this
address - that pings all-right - really comes from the FONERA, and how can
I get that FONERA to wireless connect to my DSL box/router and bring an
internet connexion up ?

bernard 10-31-2008 11:06 AM

Clayton 11-01-2008 04:44 AM

wireless on an old Thinkpad 600

On 31 Oct 2008 12:06:40 GMT
bernard <bdebreil@teaser.fr> wrote:

> the /etc/network/interfaces file, which I made as follows :
>
> # The loopback network interface
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
>
> # The primary network interface
> allow-hotplug eth0
> iface eth0 inet static
> address 169.254.255.1
> netmask 255.255.0.0
> gateway 169.254.255.1

This looks wrong. Normally your router is at 169.254.255.1, which is
why you set "gateway 169.254.255.1". You then set your own static IP to
something higher, 169.254.255.2 for instance.

> Now, in this state, that is, with eth0 configured with the FONERA
> address, what should I do so as to go further, I mean, to make sure
> that this address - that pings all-right - really comes from the
> FONERA, and how can I get that FONERA to wireless connect to my DSL
> box/router and bring an internet connexion up ?

If your router is at 169.254.255.1, and your eth0 is set to
169.254.255.2, you should be able to ping 169.254.255.1 if all is well.
Most routers provide a control interface if you point your web browser
at them, in this case, point your browser at 169.254.255.1. I don't
know anything about the Fonera, which I believe is a somewhat
non-standard router, so once you have established control of the router,
perhaps specific questions about configuration should be addressed to
their own forum: http://boards.fon.com/

Clayton

Paolo 11-01-2008 07:35 AM

On Sat, Nov 01, 2008 at 01:44:19PM +0800, Clayton wrote:
> On 31 Oct 2008 12:06:40 GMT
> bernard <bdebreil@teaser.fr> wrote:
>
> > the /etc/network/interfaces file, which I made as follows :
> >
> > # The loopback network interface
> > auto lo
> > iface lo inet loopback
> >
> > # The primary network interface
> > allow-hotplug eth0
> > iface eth0 inet static
> > address 169.254.255.1
> > netmask 255.255.0.0
> > gateway 169.254.255.1

you should use 169.254.1.0 to 169.254.254.255 for 'address' and 'gateway',
as 169.254.0.x and 169.254.255.x are reserved - see
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3927.txt
Anyway, you shouldn't use static 169.254/16 at all:

[from RFC above]

1.6. Alternate Use Prohibition

Note that addresses in the 169.254/16 prefix SHOULD NOT be configured
manually or by a DHCP server. Manual or DHCP configuration may cause
a host to use an address in the 169.254/16 prefix without following
the special rules regarding duplicate detection and automatic
configuration that pertain to addresses in this prefix.
Administrators wishing to configure their own local addresses (using
manual configuration, a DHCP server, or any other mechanism not
described in this document) should use one of the existing private
address prefixes [RFC1918], not the 169.254/16 prefix.

Instead you should use an address from any of the private ranges:

Class Networks
A 10.0.0.0 through 10.255.255.255
B 172.16.0.0 through 172.31.0.0
C 192.168.0.0 through 192.168.255.0