Old 11-02-2008, 09:17 PM
Bernard

Default wireless on an old Thinkpad 600

Clayton wrote:

On 31 Oct 2008 12:06:40 GMT
bernard <bdebreil@teaser.fr> wrote:

the /etc/network/interfaces file, which I made as follows :

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address 169.254.255.1
netmask 255.255.0.0
gateway 169.254.255.1

This looks wrong. Normally your router is at 169.254.255.1, which is
why you set "gateway 169.254.255.1". You then set your own static IP to
something higher, 169.254.255.2 for instance.

Now, in this state, that is, with eth0 configured with the FONERA
address, what should I do so as to go further, I mean, to make sure
that this address - that pings all-right - really comes from the
FONERA, and how can I get that FONERA to wireless connect to my DSL
box/router and bring an internet connexion up ?

If your router is at 169.254.255.1, and your eth0 is set to
169.254.255.2, you should be able to ping 169.254.255.1 if all is well.

I have indeed been able to ping 169.254.255.1, and it pinged allright.
But I am not sure whether I was really pinging the Fonera or playing
virtual, since such pinging also worked when the cable to the FONERA was
being disconnected. Ping did work anytime as long as I had put said
address in the iface command of the /etc/network/interfaces file.

Most routers provide a control interface if you point your web browser
at them, in this case, point your browser at 169.254.255.1.

Well, this interface I can connect to, via Internet Explorer under
Microsoft Windows. With Firefox under Debian Linux, I have been able to
connect only once ; I can't remember whether it was with my Desktop or
my laptop ; the former has a Wireless card installed, the latter does
not, which normally should not make any difference, but it may still do.
Browsing Google lead me to links and documents coming from people using
the Fonera, either under MSWIN on on various Linux distros. All of them
use that Fonera, not in a client mode as I wish to, but so as to provide
internet connexions for other PC ; therefore their Fonera is being cable
connected, not to one computer, but to their DSL box/router. So, I can't
really get much of their experience. However, as far as connecting to
the fonera interface, they mostly agree that is not very easy : Once you
have connected once, you have to keep connecting from same computer all
the time, if you try connecting from another PC, it will fail and then
you are no longer able to connect with the original computer either.
When this locking happens, you must re-initialize the internal program
of your Fonera, which is a very hazardous and complicate process : press
the underneath reset button using a pin or other tool, keep it pressed
for at least 30 seconds, or until such light comes out on your module,
then unplug the power inlet while you keep the init button pressed, keep
it that way for at least 45 seconds or until such or such light goes out
or on (can' remember exactly), then plug again and keep pressing, then
45 seconds later you release the pressure on the init button... and then
you wait at least 15 minutes before you try connecting to the internal
system with your browser... One contributor admitted that he had to
re-do that init process 6 times before he could again connect...

Well, this is it, I give up. I would have given up a lot earlier than
that, had it not be that I have seen this system working on my laptop
under Microsoft Windows 98, as a router on client mode, cabled connected
to the outlet of my EtherJet pcmcia card, getting a workable internet
wireless connexion even though I don't have a WiFi card installed on
this laptop. True enough, the only time I have seem this working on my
laptop under MSWIN was with that EtherJet card, not with the D-Link 660
card which I now use, since EtherJet is not being reckognized by my
Linux system. In order to try learning something more, I have more
recently tested that Fonera again on my desktop under Mswin XP, that is,
without pcmcia card but with a wireless card inside. It did work and i
got a wireless internet connexion through my fonera - not through my
wireless card, but this connexion was not workable. i mean that the
mswin system said that the connexion was OK, at an address compatible to
my dsl/router, that it was a good connexion with 100% packages OK etc...
but then I could not connect to anything on the Internet... Internet
Explorer said that it couldn' t resolve the address that I had requested
(but in Windows I don't know how to configure DNS, and, besides, if it
resolves OK when connected with a more classic connexion, I don't
understand why my dns would be wrong.

In any case, I can now realize that I am not going to go anywhere with
this, so I have ordered a pcmcia WiFi card for my laptop.

I'll let you know if I can get it working allright.

Thanks a lot for your help

Bernard

I don't
know anything about the Fonera, which I believe is a somewhat
non-standard router,

It surely is non standard. At first, I just wanted to wirelessly connect
to the Internet, using a wireless pcmcia card or usb system, and I asked
what card would be supported. Then someone explained that wireless cards
and usb systems where not very efficient on laptops, especially old
ones, and that it was a lot better to use a router such as Fonera. Since
he had one to sell, I bought it and here we go. True enough, it was very
cheap, but I am sorry that I have spent so much time on it, especially
since it was helpless to ask questions to the man who sold that fonera,
because he didn't know anything about Linux.

so once you have established control of the router,
perhaps specific questions about configuration should be addressed to
their own forum: http://boards.fon.com/

Clayton

Old 11-03-2008, 11:21 AM
Clayton

On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 23:17:47 +0100
Bernard <bdebreil@teaser.fr> wrote:

> Clayton wrote:
>
> >On 31 Oct 2008 12:06:40 GMT
> >bernard <bdebreil@teaser.fr> wrote:

> >>iface eth0 inet static
> >> address 169.254.255.1
> >> netmask 255.255.0.0
> >> gateway 169.254.255.1
>
> I have indeed been able to ping 169.254.255.1, and it pinged
> allright. But I am not sure whether I was really pinging the Fonera
> or playing virtual, since such pinging also worked when the cable to
> the FONERA was being disconnected. Ping did work anytime as long as I
> had put said address in the iface command of
> the /etc/network/interfaces file.

With the above setting, ping would work with or without a cable,
because you have set your own computer's eth0 to 169.254.255.1. So when
you ping 169.254.255.1 you are pinging your own computer, which will
always work.

> locking happens, you must re-initialize the internal program of your
> Fonera, which is a very hazardous and complicate process : press the
> underneath reset button using a pin or other tool, keep it pressed
> for at least 30 seconds, or until such light comes out on your
> module, then unplug the power inlet while you keep the init button
> pressed, keep it that way for at least 45 seconds or until such or
> such light goes out or on (can' remember exactly), then plug again
> and keep pressing, then 45 seconds later you release the pressure on
> the init button... and then you wait at least 15 minutes before you
> try connecting to the internal system with your browser... One
> contributor admitted that he had to re-do that init process 6 times
> before he could again connect...

Except for the final "wait 15 minutes" part, this is not so unusual.
Most routers have a similar, somewhat painful "reset to factory
defaults" process. I doubt it is actually dangerous in any way, it is
just irritating because it can be difficult to get right, and it is
hard to be sure whether one was successful on any given attempt.
Honestly, for this and other reasons, I don't much like commercial
routers. I have taken to building and using my own routers out of old
Debian-equipped laptops (a Pentium One with two PCMCIA slots will do
just fine) whenever possible. It is actually not that difficult. And
that way I can see what is going on, and control what is installed.

> In any case, I can now realize that I am not going to go anywhere
> with this, so I have ordered a pcmcia WiFi card for my laptop.

Indeed, some battles just are not worth continuing, and it can be very
fruitful to try to solve the problem in a different way.

> I'll let you know if I can get it working alright.
> Thanks a lot for your help

Your welcome, and good luck.
Clayton