Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Debian Laptop (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-laptop/)
-   -   USB 1.1 too slow to burn DVD's? (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-laptop/180685-usb-1-1-too-slow-burn-dvds.html)

Chris Jones 10-22-2008 05:18 PM

USB 1.1 too slow to burn DVD's?
 
The old laptop only has USB 1.1 and I believe I read somewhere - can't
find where .. that this is too slow to burn DVD's .. only CD's.

Is there any truth to this .. any workaround?

Thanks!


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-laptop-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Paolo 10-22-2008 07:14 PM

USB 1.1 too slow to burn DVD's?
 
On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 01:18:30PM -0400, Chris Jones wrote:
> The old laptop only has USB 1.1 and I believe I read somewhere - can't
> find where .. that this is too slow to burn DVD's .. only CD's.
>
> Is there any truth to this .. any workaround?

%man cdrecord
...

speed=#
Set the speed factor of the writing process to #. # is an inte-
ger, representing a multiple of the audio speed. This is about
150 KB/s for CD-ROM, about 172 KB/s for CD-Audio and about
1385 kB/s for DVD media.
...

so, burning CD should be fine on "USB" (non Hi-Speed) which is limited to
12Mbps / 1.5Mbps, but DVD burning won't work since min requirement is
~13.5Mbps sustained data rate. Hi-Speed USB (included in 2.0) tops at
480Mbps, enough for the fastest DVD writers.


--
paolo


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-laptop-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Chris Jones 10-23-2008 12:21 AM

USB 1.1 too slow to burn DVD's?
 
On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 03:14:07PM EDT, Paolo wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 01:18:30PM -0400, Chris Jones wrote:
> > The old laptop only has USB 1.1 and I believe I read somewhere - can't
> > find where .. that this is too slow to burn DVD's .. only CD's.
> >
> > Is there any truth to this .. any workaround?
>
> %man cdrecord
> ...
>
> speed=#
> Set the speed factor of the writing process to #. # is an inte-
> ger, representing a multiple of the audio speed. This is about
> 150 KB/s for CD-ROM, about 172 KB/s for CD-Audio and about
> 1385 kB/s for DVD media.
> ...
>
> so, burning CD should be fine on "USB" (non Hi-Speed) which is limited to
> 12Mbps / 1.5Mbps, but DVD burning won't work since min requirement is
> ~13.5Mbps sustained data rate. Hi-Speed USB (included in 2.0) tops at
> 480Mbps, enough for the fastest DVD writers.
>
>
> --
> paolo

Thanks!

I'll read the doc .. but it looks like I really need to buy a new
laptop .. I was planning to do it this Xmas .. but what with the
"economy" I'm not sure it's the way to go any more..


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-laptop-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Richard Hector 10-23-2008 01:04 AM

USB 1.1 too slow to burn DVD's?
 
On Wed, 2008-10-22 at 20:21 -0400, Chris Jones wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 03:14:07PM EDT, Paolo wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 01:18:30PM -0400, Chris Jones wrote:
> > > The old laptop only has USB 1.1 and I believe I read somewhere - can't
> > > find where .. that this is too slow to burn DVD's .. only CD's.
...
> Thanks!
>
> I'll read the doc .. but it looks like I really need to buy a new
> laptop .. I was planning to do it this Xmas .. but what with the
> "economy" I'm not sure it's the way to go any more..
>

Or buy a USB 2 PCMCIA/Cardbus card?

Richard



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-laptop-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Chris Jones 10-23-2008 09:29 AM

USB 1.1 too slow to burn DVD's?
 
On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 09:04:21PM EDT, Richard Hector wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-10-22 at 20:21 -0400, Chris Jones wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 03:14:07PM EDT, Paolo wrote:
> > > On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 01:18:30PM -0400, Chris Jones wrote:
> > > > The old laptop only has USB 1.1 and I believe I read somewhere - can't
> > > > find where .. that this is too slow to burn DVD's .. only CD's.
> ...
> > Thanks!
> >
> > I'll read the doc .. but it looks like I really need to buy a new
> > laptop .. I was planning to do it this Xmas .. but what with the
> > "economy" I'm not sure it's the way to go any more..
> >
>
> Or buy a USB 2 PCMCIA/Cardbus card?

Any recommendations?


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-laptop-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Tim Wood 10-23-2008 11:26 AM

USB 1.1 too slow to burn DVD's?
 
Chris Jones wrote:

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 09:04:21PM EDT, Richard Hector wrote:

On Wed, 2008-10-22 at 20:21 -0400, Chris Jones wrote:

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 03:14:07PM EDT, Paolo wrote:

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 01:18:30PM -0400, Chris Jones wrote:

The old laptop only has USB 1.1 and I believe I read somewhere - can't
find where .. that this is too slow to burn DVD's .. only CD's.

...

Thanks!

I'll read the doc .. but it looks like I really need to buy a new
laptop .. I was planning to do it this Xmas .. but what with the
"economy" I'm not sure it's the way to go any more..


Or buy a USB 2 PCMCIA/Cardbus card?


Any recommendations?




Not a recommendation but a comment as I did this.

Be careful of the power requirement. I has a USB hard drive which needed
1 amp. I bought a Connectland 2 port USB 2 PCMCIA Card but it needed an
external power supply to give more than 500mA. I bought one, doubling
the cost.


Eventually I tripped over the power cord, pulling it out of the card,
which seemed to damage the bus and I was never able to get the card to
work after that. Even a replacement did not work.


YMMV,

Tim


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-laptop-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Chris Jones 10-23-2008 12:06 PM

USB 1.1 too slow to burn DVD's?
 
On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 07:26:37AM EDT, Tim Wood wrote:
> Chris Jones wrote:

[..]

> >Any recommendations?
>
> Not a recommendation but a comment as I did this.
>
> Be careful of the power requirement. I has a USB hard drive which needed
> 1 amp. I bought a Connectland 2 port USB 2 PCMCIA Card but it needed an
> external power supply to give more than 500mA. I bought one, doubling
> the cost.

That was one of my concerns.

>From a very general - intuitive .. standpoint my feeling also was that
this kinda takes away the simplicity of USB .. shades of Murphy's law, I
guess.

Then there was the mere physical aspect of whether the card would fit
in next to my pcmcia NIC and its dongles .. silly but hey .. you never
know ..

Another was whether the USB card might have conflicts with the NIC -
interrupts.

And then even if they play well with each other .. would the speed be
adequate to feed a DVD burner?

In other words .. many things could go wrong.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-laptop-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org


Thu Oct 23 15:30:01 2008
Return-path: <bounce-debian-user=tom=linux-archive.org@lists.debian.org>
Envelope-to: tom@linux-archive.org
Delivery-date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 15:09:21 +0300
Received: from liszt.debian.org ([82.195.75.100])
by s2.java-tips.org with esmtps (TLSv1:AES256-SHA:256)
(Exim 4.69)
(envelope-from <bounce-debian-user=tom=linux-archive.org@lists.debian.org>)
id 1Ksz0C-0005zy-Un
for tom@linux-archive.org; Thu, 23 Oct 2008 15:09:21 +0300
Received: from localhost (localhost [127.0.0.1])
by liszt.debian.org (Postfix) with QMQP
id 5E18013A6808; Thu, 23 Oct 2008 12:09:22 +0000 (UTC)
Old-Return-Path: <michalogiorgakis@gmail.com>
X-Spam-Checker-Version: SpamAssassin 3.2.3 (2007-08-08) on liszt.debian.org
X-Spam-Level: ***
X-Spam-Status: No, score=3.0 required=4.0 tests=DNS_FROM_SECURITYSAGE,
MONOTONE_WORDS_2_15 autolearn=no version=3.2.3
X-Original-To: lists-debian-user@liszt.debian.org
Delivered-To: lists-debian-user@liszt.debian.org
Received: from localhost (localhost [127.0.0.1])
by liszt.debian.org (Postfix) with ESMTP id DAD8313A66F3
for <lists-debian-user@liszt.debian.org>; Thu, 23 Oct 2008 11:53:46 +0000 (UTC)
Received: from liszt.debian.org ([127.0.0.1])
by localhost (lists.debian.org [127.0.0.1]) (amavisd-new, port 2525)
with ESMTP id 15300-62 for <lists-debian-user@liszt.debian.org>;
Thu, 23 Oct 2008 11:53:43 +0000 (UTC)
X-policyd-weight: DYN_NJABL=ERR NOT_IN_SBL_XBL_SPAMHAUS=-1.5 NOT_IN_BL_NJABL=-1.5 CL_IP_EQ_HELO_IP=-2 (check from: .gmail. - helo: .fk-out-0910.google. - helo-domain: .google.) FROM/MX_MATCHES_HELO(DOMAIN)=-2 IN_PM_RFCI=0.1 IN_BLACKHOLE=1.5 <client=209.85.128.189> <helo=fk-out-0910.google.com> <from=michalogiorgakis@gmail.com> <to=debian-user@lists.debian.org>, rate: -5.4
Received: from fk-out-0910.google.com (fk-out-0910.google.com [209.85.128.189])
by liszt.debian.org (Postfix) with ESMTP id CF88513A66F2
for <debian-user@lists.debian.org>; Thu, 23 Oct 2008 11:53:34 +0000 (UTC)
Received: by fk-out-0910.google.com with SMTP id f33so318281fkf.14
for <debian-user@lists.debian.org>; Thu, 23 Oct 2008 04:53:16 -0700 (PDT)
DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed;
d=gmail.com; s=gamma;
h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from
:user-agent:mime-version:to:cc:subject:references:in-reply-to
:x-enigmail-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding;
bh=qL/if97Ovw08NBzn3j7FcPvGZ51i9sMJ/nSoeG8CwAY=;
b=U1fSg16nS5ul7xHGJ7YGu3BzX5hgW4On45gFHb235qjLtm6z zGhBNyOsw0D9UFOK/x
v+hXkDRBDe6/l+yHX5fd0BQC+q/sV8EAYBSwONaPNT+Q3pHd6VvBdTTkFYCrDr8g+RL1
l4s77miq7lt9+rdAYKozk+6vPd6bmvoqKCPlg=
DomainKey-Signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws;
d=gmail.com; s=gamma;
h=message-id:date:from:user-agent:mime-version:to:cc:subject
:references:in-reply-to:x-enigmail-version:content-type
:content-transfer-encoding;
b=MQ/ycpit16Aied3HxWFvvkaOa+8uwe75jZoP0vQaRbWS6C37zgAKH KssgGoH6makwM
/z+7DYSWlaOhA4a9QR1idFlkqJNjK3QD6KgLAj8n/fU4ZNURqjUEeHPEwA2v38xMB2nN
S7BKU7XDAYtTHQevv8LwWKrikMU5U71jeC1q0=
Received: by 10.181.197.2 with SMTP id z2mr140714bkp.100.1224762795891;
Thu, 23 Oct 2008 04:53:15 -0700 (PDT)
Received: from ?192.168.0.2? (bob75-8-88-169-119-193.fbx.proxad.net [88.169.119.193])
by mx.google.com with ESMTPS id e17sm12923833fke.10.2008.10.23.04.53.14
(version=TLSv1/SSLv3 cipher=RC4-MD5);
Thu, 23 Oct 2008 04:53:15 -0700 (PDT)
Message-ID: <490064DB.8050107@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 13:49:47 +0200
From: =?UTF-8?B?zpPOuc+Oz4HOs86/z4IgzpzOuc+HzrHOu86/zrPOuc+Jz4HOs86szrrOtw==?=
=?UTF-8?B?z4I=?= <michalogiorgakis@gmail.com>
User-Agent: Mozilla-Thunderbird 2.0.0.16 (X11/20080724)
MIME-Version: 1.0
To: John Merchant <john@merchant.on.net>
CC: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Deleting unused configuration files
References: <49005B2D.2050800@merchant.on.net>
In-Reply-To: <49005B2D.2050800@merchant.on.net>
X-Enigmail-Version: 0.95.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
X-Virus-Scanned: at lists.debian.org with policy bank en-ht
X-Amavis-Spam-Status: No, score=2.5 tagged_above=3.6 required=5.3
tests=[BODY_8BITS=1.5, MONOTONE_WORDS_2_15=1]
X-Rc-Spam: 2008-09-24_01
X-Rc-Virus: 2007-09-13_01
X-Rc-Spam: 2008-09-24_01
Resent-Message-ID: <ZvMn06LYPkE.A.nUB.ylGAJB@liszt>
Resent-From: debian-user@lists.debian.org
X-Mailing-List: <debian-user@lists.debian.org> archive/latest/531975
X-Loop: debian-user@lists.debian.org
List-Id: <debian-user.lists.debian.org>
List-Post: <mailto:debian-user@lists.debian.org>
List-Help: <mailto:debian-user-request@lists.debian.org?subject=help>
List-Subscribe: <mailto:debian-user-request@lists.debian.org?subject=subscribe>
List-Unsubscribe: <mailto:debian-user-request@lists.debian.org?subject=unsubscribe>
Precedence: list
Resent-Sender: debian-user-request@lists.debian.org
Resent-Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 12:09:22 +0000 (UTC)
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

O/H John Merchant =CE=AD=CE=B3=CF=81=CE=B1=CF=88=CE=B5:
> Hello all, I have a lot of unused configuration files left in /etc from
> removed packages. Is there any way I can automatically remove them all?
>=20

Hi,

with

dpkg -l | grep '^rc' | awk '{print $2}'

you can see all the packages that have been removed but there are left
over configuration files. Then you can delete these with

aptitude purge `dpkg -l | grep '^rc' | awk '{print $2}'`

I hope this is what you are looking for.


> Cheers,
> John
>=20

Georgios


--=20
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org=20
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian=
.org


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:00 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.