Old 10-20-2008, 02:15 AM
Chris Jones

Default Boot old laptop off of USB flash drive?

This old laptop's BIOS only lets me boot off of a floppy/CD-ROM/hard
drive.

Is there any way I could boot off of a USB flash drive - as in booting
off of a floppy or the hard drive and switching to /dev/sda when the
time comes to load the kernel?

Thanks!

Old 10-20-2008, 03:11 AM
Celejar

On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 22:15:51 -0400
Chris Jones <cjns1989@gmail.com> wrote:

> This old laptop's BIOS only lets me boot off of a floppy/CD-ROM/hard
> drive.
>
> Is there any way I could boot off of a USB flash drive - as in booting
> off of a floppy or the hard drive and switching to /dev/sda when the
> time comes to load the kernel?

Perhaps Smart Boot Manager could help?

http://sourceforge.net/projects/btmgr/
http://linux.simple.be/tools/sbm

Celejar

Old 10-20-2008, 03:40 AM
Rob Smith

On Sun, 2008-10-19 at 22:15 -0400, Chris Jones wrote:
> This old laptop's BIOS only lets me boot off of a floppy/CD-ROM/hard
> drive.
>
> Is there any way I could boot off of a USB flash drive - as in booting
> off of a floppy or the hard drive and switching to /dev/sda when the
> time comes to load the kernel?
>
> Thanks!

Depending on how old the laptop in question is, you might check to see
if there is a newer bIOs that adds this functionality.

Rob Smith
Evolution - The Next Step in Email
Posted via Ubuntu Linux (v.8.04)

Old 10-23-2008, 12:27 AM
Chris Jones

On Sun, Oct 19, 2008 at 11:40:00PM EDT, Rob Smith wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-10-19 at 22:15 -0400, Chris Jones wrote:
> > This old laptop's BIOS only lets me boot off of a floppy/CD-ROM/hard
> > drive.
> >
> > Is there any way I could boot off of a USB flash drive - as in booting
> > off of a floppy or the hard drive and switching to /dev/sda when the
> > time comes to load the kernel?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >

> Depending on how old the laptop in question is, you might check to see
> if there is a newer bIOs that adds this functionality.

I had checked the release notes .. saw nothing very useful .. just the
usual entries re: Windows Me or Windows 2000 "server" compatibility.

So I'm not taking chances and flashing my BIOS.

Old 10-23-2008, 12:32 AM
Chris Jones

On Sun, Oct 19, 2008 at 11:11:37PM EDT, Celejar wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 22:15:51 -0400
> Chris Jones <cjns1989@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > This old laptop's BIOS only lets me boot off of a floppy/CD-ROM/hard
> > drive.
> >
> > Is there any way I could boot off of a USB flash drive - as in booting
> > off of a floppy or the hard drive and switching to /dev/sda when the
> > time comes to load the kernel?
>
> Perhaps Smart Boot Manager could help?
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/btmgr/
> http://linux.simple.be/tools/sbm

Useful .. but I'm pretty sure a boot loader can only go by what the
BIOS is telling .. so I'm not hopeful.

The OpenBIOS project seems more likely to provide solutions in this
respect.

Trouble about playing with this is that you screw up .. or lose power
.. you're dead ??

Old 10-23-2008, 11:16 PM
Celejar

On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 20:32:01 -0400
Chris Jones <cjns1989@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 19, 2008 at 11:11:37PM EDT, Celejar wrote:
> > On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 22:15:51 -0400
> > Chris Jones <cjns1989@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > This old laptop's BIOS only lets me boot off of a floppy/CD-ROM/hard
> > > drive.
> > >
> > > Is there any way I could boot off of a USB flash drive - as in booting
> > > off of a floppy or the hard drive and switching to /dev/sda when the
> > > time comes to load the kernel?
> >
> > Perhaps Smart Boot Manager could help?
> >
> > http://sourceforge.net/projects/btmgr/
> > http://linux.simple.be/tools/sbm
>
> Useful .. but I'm pretty sure a boot loader can only go by what the
> BIOS is telling .. so I'm not hopeful.

It's been a while since I played with SMB, and I never used it that
heavily, but IIUC, the system boots from the floppy, and then the SMB
code turns over control to a system on some other medium. I don't see
that BIOS limitations are necessarily relevant.

Celejar

Old 10-24-2008, 12:15 AM
Chris Jones

On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 07:16:31PM EDT, Celejar wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 20:32:01 -0400
> Chris Jones <cjns1989@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Oct 19, 2008 at 11:11:37PM EDT, Celejar wrote:

> > > Perhaps Smart Boot Manager could help?
> > >
> > > http://sourceforge.net/projects/btmgr/
> > > http://linux.simple.be/tools/sbm
> >
> > Useful .. but I'm pretty sure a boot loader can only go by what the
> > BIOS is telling .. so I'm not hopeful.
>
> It's been a while since I played with SMB, and I never used it that
> heavily, but IIUC, the system boots from the floppy, and then the SMB
> code turns over control to a system on some other medium.
> I don't see that BIOS limitations are necessarily relevant.

I'll take a closer look.

Thanks!