Old 09-30-2008, 04:22 PM
Andreas Richter

Default Can't hibernate my HP 6715b

Hi,

i run debian lenny for amd64 on my HP 6715b with 4Gig of RAM. When i try to
hibernate my machine i became the error:
"Some devices failed to power down"
I also found
"Class suspend failed for gart0"

On boot time the linux kernel 2.6.26 says, that i should activate IOMMU on the
BIOS. But i can't because the BIOS doesn't has such an option. When i take
2Gig of RAM out of my computer, the hibernate process works fine.

How can i bring my HP 6715b to hibernate with the full 4Gig of RAM? Any
chance, hint, suggestion, what ever?

tia,

--
Andreas Richter
URLs: http://www.anrichter.net | http://www.oszine.de

Old 10-01-2008, 08:40 AM
"Ji ZhengYu"

On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 12:22 AM, Andreas Richter <ar@anrichter.net> wrote:
> On boot time the linux kernel 2.6.26 says, that i should activate IOMMU on the
> BIOS. But i can't because the BIOS doesn't has such an option. When i take
> 2Gig of RAM out of my computer, the hibernate process works fine.

IOMMU means input/output memory management unit.
I assume that your kernel has IOMMU support built in, then you should
`vi /boot/grub/menu.1st' and add `iommu=calgary' to the end of kernel line.

As you have 4G memory, maybe change kernel to another which have
`bigmem' support is a good idea, and you will try this if it doesn't work
after doing above.

Or maybe both? :-)

Old 10-01-2008, 05:57 PM
Andreas Richter

Am Wednesday 01 October 2008 10:40:23 schrieb Ji ZhengYu:

Hi,

> IOMMU means input/output memory management unit.
> I assume that your kernel has IOMMU support built in, then you should
> `vi /boot/grub/menu.1st' and add `iommu=calgary' to the end of kernel
> line.

That doesn't work either.

> As you have 4G memory, maybe change kernel to another which have
> `bigmem' support is a good idea, and you will try this if it doesn't work
> after doing above.

Where can i find a "bigmem"-kernel in debian? Must i compile this kernel by
myself?

Greetings,

Old 10-01-2008, 07:00 PM
Laurent Guignard

Old 10-01-2008, 07:55 PM
Bob Proulx

Laurent Guignard wrote:
> Andreas Richter a écrit :
> > schrieb Ji ZhengYu:
> >> As you have 4G memory, maybe change kernel to another which have
> >> `bigmem' support is a good idea, and you will try this if it doesn't work
> >> after doing above.

This shouldn't be needed for 4G of ram. That would be needed for >4G
of ram. But at 4G I think everything should be okay.

> > When I take 2Gig of RAM out of my computer, the hibernate process
> > works fine.

Do you have enough swap space configured to save a 4G memory image?
If it works with 2G then I suspect that it is failing with 4G because
there isn't enough swap to save the image.

To get to 4G all that is needed is CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G=y and that is the
default in stock Debian kernels.

> > Where can i find a "bigmem"-kernel in debian? Must i compile this
> > kernel by myself?
>
> You have just to run this command :
> aptitude search bigmem | grep linux-image

Or use apt:

apt-cache search linux-image bigmem

Bob

Old 10-01-2008, 08:24 PM
Andreas Richter

Am Wednesday 01 October 2008 21:55:08 schrieb Bob Proulx:
> Laurent Guignard wrote:
> > Andreas Richter a écrit :
>
> This shouldn't be needed for 4G of ram. That would be needed for >4G
> of ram. But at 4G I think everything should be okay.
>
> > > When I take 2Gig of RAM out of my computer, the hibernate process
> > > works fine.
>
> Do you have enough swap space configured to save a 4G memory image?
> If it works with 2G then I suspect that it is failing with 4G because
> there isn't enough swap to save the image.

My swap-partition is 4G big. I tested hibernate with a 8G swap file and it
doesn't work either.

> To get to 4G all that is needed is CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G=y and that is the
> default in stock Debian kernels.

I can't find CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G in /boot/config-2.6.26-1-amd64. So it is
compiled in? I think not.

> > > Where can i find a "bigmem"-kernel in debian? Must i compile this
> > > kernel by myself?
> >
> > You have just to run this command :
> > aptitude search bigmem | grep linux-image
>
> Or use apt:
>
> apt-cache search linux-image bigmem

I know apt-cache and the search option. But the search doesn't find any
result. I use lenny at the moment. Are there a bigmem kernel in sid?

Greetings,

Old 10-01-2008, 08:50 PM
Joseph Rawson

On Wednesday 01 October 2008 15:24:53 Andreas Richter wrote:
> Am Wednesday 01 October 2008 21:55:08 schrieb Bob Proulx:
> > Laurent Guignard wrote:
> >
> > This shouldn't be needed for 4G of ram. That would be needed for >4G
> > of ram. But at 4G I think everything should be okay.

> > Do you have enough swap space configured to save a 4G memory image?
> > If it works with 2G then I suspect that it is failing with 4G because
> > there isn't enough swap to save the image.
>
> My swap-partition is 4G big. I tested hibernate with a 8G swap file and it
> doesn't work either.
>
> > To get to 4G all that is needed is CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G=y and that is the
> > default in stock Debian kernels.
>
> I can't find CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G in /boot/config-2.6.26-1-amd64. So it is
> compiled in? I think not.

That's probably because you're using an amd64 kernel. You shouldn't have to
worry about this.

> > > You have just to run this command :
> > > aptitude search bigmem | grep linux-image
> >
> > Or use apt:
> >
> > apt-cache search linux-image bigmem
>
> I know apt-cache and the search option. But the search doesn't find any
> result. I use lenny at the moment. Are there a bigmem kernel in sid?

I don't think you need to worry about this, if your system is running an amd64
kernel.

It's odd that adding the additional 2G will cause this behavior. I think that
this could possibly be a bug in the kernel, especially considering that you
are having problems suspending gart0. It's possible that this has been fixed
in a more recent build of the kernel. Take a look at this:

--
Thanks:
Joseph Rawson

Old 10-01-2008, 08:50 PM
Bob Proulx

Andreas Richter wrote:
> schrieb Bob Proulx:
> My swap-partition is 4G big. I tested hibernate with a 8G swap file and it
> doesn't work either.

Sigh. Oh well...

> > To get to 4G all that is needed is CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G=y and that is the
> > default in stock Debian kernels.
>
> I can't find CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G in /boot/config-2.6.26-1-amd64. So it is
> compiled in? I think not.

AFAIK both HIGHMEM4G and the PAE extensions (BIGMEM) are 32-bit x86
only. For 64-bit amd64 neither of those apply. When I heard BIGMEM I
assumed we were talking about 32-bit x86. Sorry. I didn't read early
enough in the thread.

> I know apt-cache and the search option. But the search doesn't find any
> result. I use lenny at the moment. Are there a bigmem kernel in sid?

Since you are using amd64 those don't apply to you and are not in your
architecture specific depot. You would see them on an i386
architecture machine.

I only have "fud" (unsubstantiated memory from several years ago) that
hibernation hasn't been completely working on 64-bit systems. You may
be tripping into one of the areas that hasn't been well traveled yet.
You might try looking at the notes from suspend2 / TuxOnIce mailing
list and see what resources you can find there. I looked briefly and
found this thread.

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.swsusp.general/7777
Subject: Is it possible to have 4GB of RAM on an AMD64 ?

That lead me to these wrapup messages:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.swsusp.general/7801

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.swsusp.general/7802

I don't know if that is the same problem you are experiencing but at a
very quick look through it does sound similar.

Hope this helps!

Bob

Old 10-02-2008, 11:23 AM
Andreas Richter

Am Wednesday 01 October 2008 22:50:27 schrieb Bob Proulx:
> Andreas Richter wrote:
> > schrieb Bob Proulx:
> > My swap-partition is 4G big. I tested hibernate with a 8G swap file and
> > it doesn't work either.
>
> Sigh. Oh well...
>
> > > To get to 4G all that is needed is CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G=y and that is the
> > > default in stock Debian kernels.
> >
> > I can't find CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G in /boot/config-2.6.26-1-amd64. So it is
> > compiled in? I think not.
>
> AFAIK both HIGHMEM4G and the PAE extensions (BIGMEM) are 32-bit x86
> only. For 64-bit amd64 neither of those apply. When I heard BIGMEM I
> assumed we were talking about 32-bit x86. Sorry. I didn't read early
> enough in the thread.
>
> > I know apt-cache and the search option. But the search doesn't find any
> > result. I use lenny at the moment. Are there a bigmem kernel in sid?
>
> Since you are using amd64 those don't apply to you and are not in your
> architecture specific depot. You would see them on an i386
> architecture machine.

Sorry. My fault. Have forgot to write that my system is an amd64.

> I only have "fud" (unsubstantiated memory from several years ago) that
> hibernation hasn't been completely working on 64-bit systems. You may
> be tripping into one of the areas that hasn't been well traveled yet.
> You might try looking at the notes from suspend2 / TuxOnIce mailing
> list and see what resources you can find there. I looked briefly and
> found this thread.
>
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.swsusp.general/7777
> Subject: Is it possible to have 4GB of RAM on an AMD64 ?
>
> That lead me to these wrapup messages:
>
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.swsusp.general/7801
>
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.swsusp.general/7802

Thanks for the links. I think i'll wait for a never kernel and try it again.

Cheers,