Old 09-29-2008, 08:08 PM
Leonardo Canducci

Default suspend working, at last!

I've been struggling with suspend to ram for two weeks and finally got it working!
My laptop is a 2004 acer travelmate 290 (centrino 1.4, ipw2200, intel 855gm graphic card). I used to run sarge on it then switched to ubuntu because of suspend to ram ability working out of the box. Now I'm glad to be back to debian.
I invoke suspend to ram via function key (ctrl+esc). Xfce keyboard settings is configured to run "sudo pm-suspend". The combo is not recognised out of the box in xfce so I had to edit .Xmodmap adding keycode 223=XF86Sleep (X must be restarted).
I'm using the more evolved pm-suspend instead of s2ram because module psmouse must be uloaded upon suspend and the reloaded on resume for s2ram to work properly, else X hangs with no keyboard and blank or messy display.
So I created in /etc/pm/config.d a file with:
SLEEP_MODULE="uswsusp"
SUSPEND_MODULES="psmouse"
Of course I had to edit sudoers to run pm-suspend without password.

I found the solution today and it's working fine.
Btw s2disk works flawlessly.

Bye
leonardo

PS I wrote a week ago about a problem with fan not working in lenny. Now it works fine. Probably it was just me not waiting enough for it to start... sorry for bothering for that.

Old 09-30-2008, 05:28 PM
Leonardo Canducci

Once again I was wrong!
Actually s2ram and pm-suspend work only if invoked after s2disk, else starting with a normal boot instead of resuming from disk system freezes with blank screen and no keyboard.
That's pretty wierd. I'll try to investigate.
Leonardo

PS sorry for posting via webmail. hope I'm not messing threads

Old 09-30-2008, 06:01 PM
Thierry Chatelet

On Tuesday 30 September 2008 19:28:01 Leonardo Canducci wrote:
> Once again I was wrong!
> Actually s2ram and pm-suspend work only if invoked after s2disk, else
> starting with a normal boot instead of resuming from disk system freezes
> with blank screen and no keyboard. That's pretty wierd. I'll try to
> investigate.
> Leonardo

In my case, suspend to ram worked as you said, after a suspend to disk, but
only once. If I try a second s2ram, then I get a blank screen and no
keyboard. did not investigate more as s2disk is what I need.
Thierry

Old 10-01-2008, 08:29 AM
"Ji ZhengYu"

> On Tuesday 30 September 2008 19:28:01 Leonardo Canducci wrote:
>> Actually s2ram and pm-suspend work only if invoked after s2disk, else
>> starting with a normal boot instead of resuming from disk system freezes
>> with blank screen and no keyboard. That's pretty wierd. I'll try to
>> investigate.

In my laptop, a 4-years old toshiba( centrino 1.5, ipw2100, intel 845/855GM),
installed Debian Stable( Etch 4.0).

I usually use `hibernate' package to suspend to disk, and it always
works for me.
Maybe you would like to try it. After you `sudo apt-get install hibernate',
just run `sudo hibernate'.