Old 09-19-2008, 06:59 AM
"Clifford W. Hansen"

Default Laptops and Virtulization

Greetings,

I would like to find out from the list what they use on there laptops for
virtulization.

I'm needing to run a vm on my laptop for using as a development server, and I
need it to be able to access the network my wifi card is attached to.

I have scoured the interweb and havn't found what I'm looking for (other then
vmware which has some issues)

I would prefer to run the latest etch-n-half kernel, possibly even lenny
although I don't have lenny yet.
--
Thank you,

Clifford W. Hansen
PHP Developer / Linux Administrator

(Cell) +27 82 883 8677
(Fax) +27 86 503 0634
(E-Mail) clifford@nighthawk.co.za
(MSN) clifford@nighthawk.co.za
(GPG) 0x936D6C19

"We have seen strange things today!"

Old 09-19-2008, 07:38 AM
Stephan Peijnik

On Fri, 2008-09-19 at 08:59 +0200, Clifford W. Hansen wrote:
> I would like to find out from the list what they use on there laptops for
> virtulization.
>
> I'm needing to run a vm on my laptop for using as a development server, and I
> need it to be able to access the network my wifi card is attached to.
>
> I have scoured the interweb and havn't found what I'm looking for (other then
> vmware which has some issues)
>
> I would prefer to run the latest etch-n-half kernel, possibly even lenny
> although I don't have lenny yet.

Personally I am using VirtualBox OSE for exact the reason you would like
virtualization.

After a quick check virtualbox-ose is either available within Lenny
(including the kernel module) or via etch-backports where you need to
build the kernel module yourself though.

For a list of packages available in Debian check
http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=virtualbox-ose.

Regards,

Stephan

Old 09-19-2008, 07:56 AM
"Clifford W. Hansen"

On Friday 19 September 2008 09:38:04 Stephan Peijnik wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-09-19 at 08:59 +0200, Clifford W. Hansen wrote:
> > I would like to find out from the list what they use on there laptops for
> > virtulization.
> >
> > I'm needing to run a vm on my laptop for using as a development server,
> > and I need it to be able to access the network my wifi card is attached
> > to.
> >
> > I have scoured the interweb and havn't found what I'm looking for (other
> > then vmware which has some issues)
> >
> > I would prefer to run the latest etch-n-half kernel, possibly even lenny
> > although I don't have lenny yet.
>
> Personally I am using VirtualBox OSE for exact the reason you would like
> virtualization.
>
> After a quick check virtualbox-ose is either available within Lenny
> (including the kernel module) or via etch-backports where you need to
> build the kernel module yourself though.
>
> For a list of packages available in Debian check
> http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=virtualbox-ose.
>
> Regards,
>
> Stephan

Stephan,

I was using VirtualBox for a while, but could never get the bridged mode
working due to my laptop connecting via wifi, but then again no one else
needs to access my dev box anymore. Well DHCP wasn't working.

Will give it a bash again, thank you...

Old 09-20-2008, 12:20 AM
Obi

On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 09:56:11AM +0200, Clifford W. Hansen wrote:
> On Friday 19 September 2008 09:38:04 Stephan Peijnik wrote:
> > On Fri, 2008-09-19 at 08:59 +0200, Clifford W. Hansen wrote:
> > > I would like to find out from the list what they use on there laptops for
> > > virtulization.
> > >
> > > I'm needing to run a vm on my laptop for using as a development server,
> > > and I need it to be able to access the network my wifi card is attached
> > > to.
> > >
> > > I have scoured the interweb and havn't found what I'm looking for (other
> > > then vmware which has some issues)
> > >
> > > I would prefer to run the latest etch-n-half kernel, possibly even lenny
> > > although I don't have lenny yet.

Hello there,

I had good luck with kvm, but I do have a new enough CPU which has
hardware support for virtualization. I usually don't bridge the network,
but I remember to do this sometime ago and everything work as expected
(there are hooks for bridging in //etc/network/interface, so that you have
the bridge as soon as you boot, then you can add the tap interface from
kvm).

cheers
graziano

Old 09-22-2008, 06:41 PM
"Clifford W. Hansen"

On Friday 19 September 2008 09:56:11 Clifford W. Hansen wrote:
> On Friday 19 September 2008 09:38:04 Stephan Peijnik wrote:
> > On Fri, 2008-09-19 at 08:59 +0200, Clifford W. Hansen wrote:
> > > I would like to find out from the list what they use on there laptops
> > > for virtulization.
> > >
> > > I'm needing to run a vm on my laptop for using as a development server,
> > > and I need it to be able to access the network my wifi card is attached
> > > to.
> > >
> > > I have scoured the interweb and havn't found what I'm looking for
> > > (other then vmware which has some issues)
> > >
> > > I would prefer to run the latest etch-n-half kernel, possibly even
> > > lenny although I don't have lenny yet.
> >
> > Personally I am using VirtualBox OSE for exact the reason you would like
> > virtualization.
> >
> > After a quick check virtualbox-ose is either available within Lenny
> > (including the kernel module) or via etch-backports where you need to
> > build the kernel module yourself though.
> >
> > For a list of packages available in Debian check
> > http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=virtualbox-ose.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Stephan
>
> Stephan,
>
> I was using VirtualBox for a while, but could never get the bridged mode
> working due to my laptop connecting via wifi, but then again no one else
> needs to access my dev box anymore. Well DHCP wasn't working.
>
> Will give it a bash again, thank you...

Just for future reference / anyone who is interested I got the following
working.

And it almost does exactly what I need, well it's good enough for now:
<vbox-networking.sh>
#!/bin/bash

LAN="eth1"
DHCP_SERVER="xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx"

case "${1}" in
"start" )
TAP=$(VBoxTunctl -b -u clifford)
echo ${TAP} > /var/run/vbox.tap
sysctl net.ipv4.ip_forward=1 >> /dev/null
ip link set ${TAP} up
ip addr add xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/xx dev ${TAP}
parprouted ${LAN} ${TAP}
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o ${LAN} -j MASQUERADE
dhcrelay3 -q -i ${LAN} -i ${TAP} ${DHCP_SERVER}
echo ${TAP}
;;
"stop" )
TAP=${3}
kill -9 $(ps -elf | grep ${TAP} | grep -v grep | awk '{print
$4}' | grep -v $$)
ifconfig ${TAP} down
VBoxTunctl -d ${TAP} >> /dev/null
sysctl net.ipv4.ip_forward=0 >> /dev/null
;;
esac
</vbox-networking.sh>

This can then be used by VirtualBox as the network script (Network --> Host
interface settings --> Setup/Terminate)

I just run these as "sudo /path/to/vbox-networking.sh start" and it does the
rest.

Unfortunately due to using parprouted it seems like it's not accessable from
the lan, but I'm working on this... The solutions possibly has something to
do with a bridge...

Old 09-23-2008, 11:16 AM
Joseph Rawson

On Monday 22 September 2008 13:41:38 Clifford W. Hansen wrote:
> On Friday 19 September 2008 09:56:11 Clifford W. Hansen wrote:

> > > Personally I am using VirtualBox OSE for exact the reason you would
> > > like virtualization.
> > >
> > > After a quick check virtualbox-ose is either available within Lenny
> > > (including the kernel module) or via etch-backports where you need to
> > > build the kernel module yourself though.
> > >
> > > For a list of packages available in Debian check
> > > http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=virtualbox-ose.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Stephan
> >
> > Stephan,
> >
> > I was using VirtualBox for a while, but could never get the bridged mode
> > working due to my laptop connecting via wifi, but then again no one else
> > needs to access my dev box anymore. Well DHCP wasn't working.
> >
> > Will give it a bash again, thank you...
>
> Just for future reference / anyone who is interested I got the following
> working.
>
> And it almost does exactly what I need, well it's good enough for now:
> <vbox-networking.sh>
> #!/bin/bash
>
> LAN="eth1"
> DHCP_SERVER="xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx"
>
> case "${1}" in
> "start" )
> TAP=$(VBoxTunctl -b -u clifford)
> echo ${TAP} > /var/run/vbox.tap
> sysctl net.ipv4.ip_forward=1 >> /dev/null
> ip link set ${TAP} up
> ip addr add xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/xx dev ${TAP}
> parprouted ${LAN} ${TAP}
> iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o ${LAN} -j MASQUERADE
> dhcrelay3 -q -i ${LAN} -i ${TAP} ${DHCP_SERVER}
> echo ${TAP}
> ;;
> "stop" )
> TAP=${3}
> kill -9 $(ps -elf | grep ${TAP} | grep -v grep | awk
> '{print $4}' | grep -v $$)
> ifconfig ${TAP} down
> VBoxTunctl -d ${TAP} >> /dev/null
> sysctl net.ipv4.ip_forward=0 >> /dev/null
> ;;
> esac
> </vbox-networking.sh>
>
> This can then be used by VirtualBox as the network script (Network --> Host
> interface settings --> Setup/Terminate)
>
> I just run these as "sudo /path/to/vbox-networking.sh start" and it does
> the rest.
>
> Unfortunately due to using parprouted it seems like it's not accessable
> from the lan, but I'm working on this... The solutions possibly has
> something to do with a bridge...

I thought about replying to you when you first posted, but I didn't know how
to respond to bridging over wifi. The debian wiki has some pretty good info
on setting up a bridge for virtualbox. A few weeks ago, I updated the
example script that brings the interface up and down, and added a snippet of
my sudoers file that lets you run the particular commands without using a
password. On my system, all the tap interfaces are named vbox_{$vboxname},
and everything seems to be working just fine.

Here's the page: http://wiki.debian.org/VirtualBox

I didn't like adding the tap interfaces to /etc/vbox/interfaces, and I think
that the solution on the wiki page is much better than having to list static
interfaces there.

Btw, I've never heard of parprouted before. I just looked up the package and
it seems interesting. I might play with this later.

Using an ethernet bridge can be painful on a laptop sometimes, like when
there's no dhcp server on the network, and you have to give the br0 a static
address. That makes it much more difficult when the VM's are also expecting
to get their network info from dhcp. There are also problems when there is a
dhcp server, but there's no dns updates for the hostnames. This can get to
be annoying when you're using many VM's.

--
Thanks:
Joseph Rawson

Old 09-23-2008, 05:30 PM
"Clifford W. Hansen"

On Tuesday 23 September 2008 13:16:11 Joseph Rawson wrote:
> [...]
> vbox_{$vboxname}, and everything seems to be working just fine.
>
> Here's the page: http://wiki.debian.org/VirtualBox
>
> I didn't like adding the tap interfaces to /etc/vbox/interfaces, and I
> think that the solution on the wiki page is much better than having to list
> static interfaces there.
>
> Btw, I've never heard of parprouted before. I just looked up the package
> and it seems interesting. I might play with this later.
>
> Using an ethernet bridge can be painful on a laptop sometimes, like when
> there's no dhcp server on the network, and you have to give the br0 a
> static address. That makes it much more difficult when the VM's are also
> expecting to get their network info from dhcp. There are also problems
> when there is a dhcp server, but there's no dns updates for the hostnames.
> This can get to be annoying when you're using many VM's.

Just done some testing using a bridge, I've managed to get this part to work,
and VBox sets up the tap devices as required, the only problem is that the vm
can't see the network only the devices attached to the bridge.

Although, doing all of this and attaching the bridge to the wired connection
works... :/

The main problem I have with my previous method is that other machines on the
lan cannot see my vm's...

Why and how does VMWare get this right (ok other than having money thrown at
it )

Old 09-23-2008, 07:05 PM
"Clifford W. Hansen"

On Tuesday 23 September 2008 19:30:20 Clifford W. Hansen wrote:
> [...]
> > there's no dhcp server on the network, and you have to give the br0 a
> > static address. That makes it much more difficult when the VM's are also
> > expecting to get their network info from dhcp. There are also problems
> > when there is a dhcp server, but there's no dns updates for the
> > hostnames. This can get to be annoying when you're using many VM's.
>
> Just done some testing using a bridge, I've managed to get this part to
> work, and VBox sets up the tap devices as required, the only problem is
> that the vm can't see the network only the devices attached to the bridge.
>
> Although, doing all of this and attaching the bridge to the wired
> connection works... :/
>
> The main problem I have with my previous method is that other machines on
> the lan cannot see my vm's...
>
> Why and how does VMWare get this right (ok other than having money thrown

OK to kind of answer my own question

Taken from: http://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/Net:Bridge
<quote>
** It doesn't work with my Wireless card! **

This is a known problem, and it is not caused by the bridge code. Many
wireless cards don't allow spoofing of the source address. It is a firmware
restriction with some chipsets. You might find some information in the bridge
mailing list archives to help. Has anyone found a way to get around Wavelan
not allowing anything but its own MAC address? (answer by Michael Renzmann
(mrenzmann at compulan.de))

Well, for 99% of computer users there will never be a way to get rid of this.
For this function a special firmware is needed. This firmware can be loaded
into the RAM of any WaveLAN card, so it could do its job with bridging. But
there is no documentation on the interface available to the public. The only
way to achieve this is to have a full version of the hcf library which
controls every function of the card and also allows accessing the card's RAM.
To get this full version Lucent wants to know that it will be a financial win
for them, also you have to sign an NDA. So be sure that you won't most
probably get access to this peace of software until Lucent does not change
its mind in this (which I doubt never will happen).

If you urgently need to have a wireless LAN card which is able to bridge, you
should use one of those having the prism chipset onboard (manufactured by
Harris Intersil). There are drivers for those cards available at
www.linux-wlan.com (which is the website from Absoval), and I found a mail
that says that there is the necessary firmware and an upload tool available
for Linux to the public. If you need additional features of an access point
you should also talk to Absoval.

** I still don't understand!! **

Doing full bridging of wireless (802.11) requires supporting WDS . The current
implementation doesn't do it.

It is possible to do limited wireless to Ethernet functionality with some
wireless drivers. This requires the device to be able to support a different
sender address and source address. That is what WDS provides.

There are ways to make it work, but it is not always straightforward and you
probably won't get it right without a pretty solid understanding of 802.11,
it's modes, and the frame header format.
</quote>

Old 09-23-2008, 07:51 PM
Joseph Rawson

On Tuesday 23 September 2008 14:05:52 Clifford W. Hansen wrote:
> [...]
> www.linux-wlan.com (which is the website from Absoval), and I found a mail
> that says that there is the necessary firmware and an upload tool available
> for Linux to the public. If you need additional features of an access point
> you should also talk to Absoval.
>
> ** I still don't understand!! **
>
> Doing full bridging of wireless (802.11) requires supporting WDS . The
> current implementation doesn't do it.
>
> It is possible to do limited wireless to Ethernet functionality with some
> wireless drivers. This requires the device to be able to support a
> different sender address and source address. That is what WDS provides.
>
> There are ways to make it work, but it is not always straightforward and
> you probably won't get it right without a pretty solid understanding of
> 802.11, it's modes, and the frame header format.

I figured that there would be problems bridging wireless devices. This is why
I didn't reply to you on your first couple of posts. When I saw the script
that you wrote, and saw that it uses eth1, that's when I figured that you
weren't using wireless. I'm a absolute noob when it comes to using wireless.
I'm on my third laptop using built in wireless, and I still have yet to
actually use it further than testing it in windows to see if it works before
I install debian.

I'm sorry, from what I was reading, I was thinking that you were just going to
use regular ethernet to run you're VM's. The only thing I know to do to get
the VM's available over the wireless is to use DNAT and port forwarding.
This might be ugly, since you may have to use different port numbers on the
wireless, and that might be harder for the other machines on the network. I
don't know what you are using the VM for. If you're using the VM for web
development, you may want to look into configuring mod_proxy, then you can
reach the VM over a standard port with a slightly different url. It's been a
long time since I've done that myself, but it's pretty easy to setup.

--
Thanks:
Joseph Rawson

Old 09-23-2008, 08:03 PM
"Clifford W. Hansen"

On Tuesday 23 September 2008 21:51:03 Joseph Rawson wrote:
<snipped cause it was getting long >
> I figured that there would be problems bridging wireless devices. This is
> why I didn't reply to you on your first couple of posts. When I saw the
> script that you wrote, and saw that it uses eth1, that's when I figured
> that you weren't using wireless. I'm a absolute noob when it comes to
> using wireless. I'm on my third laptop using built in wireless, and I still
> have yet to actually use it further than testing it in windows to see if it
> works before I install debian.
>
> I'm sorry, from what I was reading, I was thinking that you were just going
> to use regular ethernet to run you're VM's. The only thing I know to do to
> get the VM's available over the wireless is to use DNAT and port
> forwarding. This might be ugly, since you may have to use different port
> numbers on the wireless, and that might be harder for the other machines on
> the network. I don't know what you are using the VM for. If you're using
> the VM for web development, you may want to look into configuring
> mod_proxy, then you can reach the VM over a standard port with a slightly
> different url. It's been a long time since I've done that myself, but it's
> pretty easy to setup.

Yea I've made that mistake a couple of times re: ethx

I'm currently looking in to the ipw2200-ap drivers, these might solve my
problem, cause it seems like you can only bridge a wifi card that can act
like a AP. hopefull I come up with a solution.

As for what the VMs are, basically:
1. Debian dev server (needs to mount NFS and other bits and peices so DNAT
would be a nightmare
2. A winbloze test box, unfortunately still need to test that IE can read the
sites.

Will keep the list posted...