Old 09-10-2008, 08:01 PM
"Nima Azarbayjany"

Default PC Speaker cannot be disabled

Hi all,

I use Debian on my Dell Inspiron E1505 laptop.* By default, the laptop produces a very loud, ugly, and annoying beep when, for example, you use the tab completion in the console, etc.* I used to disable the beep by adding "blacklist pcspkr" in /etc/modprob.d/blacklist in Etch.* It worked in Etch and even until recently in Lenny (I have now the most recent snapshot of Lenny).* But this is not working in Lenny anymore.* I use "lsmod | grep pcspkr" to see if the module has been loaded but it is not there.* When I used "modprobe pcspkr -v" it says that the module has been loaded (only shows a path to the module file with no errors printed) but "lsmod..." does not show anything loaded.

Can anyone help me disable the PC speaker like before?* It really is annoying.* Thanks in advance.

Nima

Old 09-10-2008, 08:17 PM
Bart Martens

On Thu, 2008-09-11 at 00:31 +0430, Nima Azarbayjany wrote:
> very loud, ugly, and annoying beep when, for example, you use the tab
> completion in the console

Maybe this helps:

$ grep bell /etc/inputrc
# do not bell on tab-completion
# set bell-style none
# set bell-style visible

Old 09-11-2008, 01:17 AM
Carl Fink

On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 10:17:11PM +0200, Bart Martens wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-09-11 at 00:31 +0430, Nima Azarbayjany wrote:
> > very loud, ugly, and annoying beep when, for example, you use the tab
> > completion in the console
>
> Maybe this helps:
>
> $ grep bell /etc/inputrc
> # do not bell on tab-completion
> # set bell-style none
> # set bell-style visible

How about 'modprobe -r pcspkr'?
--
Carl Fink nitpicking@nitpicking.com

Stupid mistakes you can correct!

Old 09-11-2008, 09:11 AM
Florian Kulzer

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 00:31:07 +0430, Nima Azarbayjany wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I use Debian on my Dell Inspiron E1505 laptop. By default, the laptop
> produces a very loud, ugly, and annoying beep when, for example, you use the
> tab completion in the console, etc. I used to disable the beep by adding
> "blacklist pcspkr" in /etc/modprob.d/blacklist in Etch. It worked in Etch
> and even until recently in Lenny (I have now the most recent snapshot of
> Lenny). But this is not working in Lenny anymore. I use "lsmod | grep
> pcspkr" to see if the module has been loaded but it is not there. When I
> used "modprobe pcspkr -v" it says that the module has been loaded (only
> shows a path to the module file with no errors printed) but "lsmod..." does
> not show anything loaded.
>
> Can anyone help me disable the PC speaker like before? It really is
> annoying. Thanks in advance.

Check if ALSA lists the PC speaker as a card:

$ cat /proc/asound/cards
0 [Intel ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
HDA Intel at 0xdfdfc000 irq 16
1 [pcsp ]: PC-Speaker - pcsp
Internal PC-Speaker at port 0x61

On my Sid system this started when I upgraded to kernel 2.6.26; like
you, I suddenly got the beep again even though the pcspkr module was not
loaded. I could silence the PC speaker by running

alsamixer -c1

and muting the "PC Speak" control. (Move to the control with the cursor
keys, press "M" to mute, ESC to exit. The new setting should be saved
and restored automatically across reboots by /etc/init.d/alsa-utils.)

Florian |

Old 09-11-2008, 12:00 PM
Ricardo Ichizo

Hi Nima,

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 12:31:07AM +0430, Nima Azarbayjany wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I use Debian on my Dell Inspiron E1505 laptop. By default, the laptop
> produces a very loud, ugly, and annoying beep when, for example, you use
> the tab completion in the console, etc. I used to disable the beep by
> adding "blacklist pcspkr" in /etc/modprob.d/blacklist in Etch. It worked
> in Etch and even until recently in Lenny (I have now the most recent
> snapshot of Lenny). But this is not working in Lenny anymore. I use

Very strange =/

> "lsmod | grep pcspkr" to see if the module has been loaded but it is not
> there. When I used "modprobe pcspkr -v" it says that the module has been
> loaded (only shows a path to the module file with no errors printed) but
> "lsmod..." does not show anything loaded.

Can you see it in /proc/modules ?

> Can anyone help me disable the PC speaker like before? It really is
> annoying. Thanks in advance.

You can use a workaround:

* Prevents bell sound at console:
"setterm -bfreq 0"

* Prevents bell sound at X:
"xset b off"

Best Regards,
--
_(~)_
)"( [[ n1ghtcr4wler ]]

Old 09-11-2008, 01:48 PM
"Nima Azarbayjany"

Thanks Florian.* ALSA seems to load an module for the PC speaker when pcspkr is blacklisted and not loaded.* So it is necessary to blacklist pcspkr and mute the module loaded by ALSA.* If pcspkr is not blacklisted ALSA does not load its own driver for the speaker so you can turn off the speaker just be rrmmod pcspkr.

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 1:41 PM, Florian Kulzer <florian.kulzer+debian@icfo.es> wrote:

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 00:31:07 +0430, Nima Azarbayjany wrote:

> Hi all,

> I use Debian on my Dell Inspiron E1505 laptop. *By default, the laptop

> produces a very loud, ugly, and annoying beep when, for example, you use the

> tab completion in the console, etc. *I used to disable the beep by adding

> "blacklist pcspkr" in /etc/modprob.d/blacklist in Etch. *It worked in Etch

> and even until recently in Lenny (I have now the most recent snapshot of

> Lenny). *But this is not working in Lenny anymore. *I use "lsmod | grep

> pcspkr" to see if the module has been loaded but it is not there. *When I

> used "modprobe pcspkr -v" it says that the module has been loaded (only

> shows a path to the module file with no errors printed) but "lsmod..." does

> not show anything loaded.

> Can anyone help me disable the PC speaker like before? *It really is

> annoying. *Thanks in advance.

Check if ALSA lists the PC speaker as a card:

$ cat /proc/asound/cards

*0 [Intel * * * * *]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel

* * * * * * * * * * *HDA Intel at 0xdfdfc000 irq 16

*1 [pcsp * * * * * ]: PC-Speaker - pcsp

* * * * * * * * * * *Internal PC-Speaker at port 0x61

On my Sid system this started when I upgraded to kernel 2.6.26; like

you, I suddenly got the beep again even though the pcspkr module was not

loaded. I could silence the PC speaker by running

alsamixer -c1

and muting the "PC Speak" control. (Move to the control with the cursor

keys, press "M" to mute, ESC to exit. The new setting should be saved

and restored automatically across reboots by /etc/init.d/alsa-utils.)

--

Regards, * * * * * *| http://users.icfo.es/Florian.Kulzer

* * * * *Florian * |

Old 09-12-2008, 06:59 PM
Alejandro Ramón Ballesta

Hi,

in 2.6.26 there is an additional pc speaker module called snd-pcsp
unloading and blacklisting that, should do the work (at least it did for me).

Regards,
Alejandro.

Old 09-13-2008, 02:20 PM
"Nima Azarbayjany"

Thanks Alejandro.* This was another solution that worked for me too.* But it can also been done through alsamixer -c1 and muting the PC speaker.* ALSA loads another module (perhaps this one) if the original pcspkr module is blacklisted.

Nima