Old 09-10-2008, 04:26 PM
Martin Bock

Default etch USB WLAN recommendation

Dear list!

Does somebody have hands-on experience on USB WLAN devices working
out-of-the box, i.e. without compiling drivers, with Debian Etch? If
yes, where did you get those devices (location Germany here)?

FWIW, the laptop in question is a IBM Thinkpad X30.

TYA + best regards,

--
Martin Bock :wq

Old 09-10-2008, 06:01 PM
"Phill merryman"

I have had good success with any hardware using the ZD1211 chipset.
just make sure to get the zd1211-firmware package through apt to get it to work.
Hawking HWU54G ZD1211 USB wireless network device for example

Phill

Old 09-13-2008, 07:17 AM
Dan

Hi !

I tried to use USR805423 from US ROBOTICS with the driver zd1211rw (that can be already added as a module to the kernel). The problem that I encountered was that on the dongle insertion the dongle was not recognized.Solution was to modify one of the sources of the module.In the end it worked but not out of the box, and not with all the features (i.e. the dongle led). But the driver as I see has been improved from that version (http://linuxwireless.org/ )

cheers