-   -   ALSA mixer values (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-laptop/149694-alsa-mixer-values.html)

Haines Brown 08-27-2008 02:02 PM

ALSA mixer values

I'm trying to get sound on a Thinkpad x61s that runs Sidux. My aim at
this point is simply to get sound going by running a .wav test file
using alsaplayer (vol. set to max). The file plays, but no sound out.

But the problem is that I often don't know what the alsamixer controls
do. I was able to find out for my desktop machine, but the controls
are somewhat different on the Sidux laptop. Where would I go to find
out what these controls mean? Man alsamixergui is not much help.

As for my specific situation at this point, here's what I have:

head: muted
PCM: 100%
mic: 100%
mic boost: 100%
capture: 100%
capture 1: 100%
beep: muted
digital: low volume
docking mic: 0 and muted
docking mic boost: 0
docking mic boost: 0
input source: 0
input source: 0
internal mike: 0 and muted
internal mike boost: 0
speaker: unmuted

I'll be using the internal sound chip as a demodulator, and so have
the laptop's mike and speaker jacks connected to an external
device. That is the reason why mic and mic boost is set high. I don't
know where to set the level of the external speaker jack, but that
should be high as well.

--

Haines Brown, KB1GRM

Haines Brown 08-27-2008 06:07 PM

ALSA mixer values

Sorry to follow up on myself, but I discovered that when an external
device plugged into the headphone jack, it disables the laptop
internal speaker.

Is there any way to enable both at the same time? Or do I have to rig
a little external speaker using a "Y" adapter?

--

Haines Brown, KB1GRM

Sebastian Günther 08-27-2008 07:20 PM

ALSA mixer values

* Haines Brown (brownh@hartford-hwp.com) [27.08.08 20:07]:
> Sorry to follow up on myself, but I discovered that when an external
> device plugged into the headphone jack, it disables the laptop
> internal speaker.
>
> Is there any way to enable both at the same time? Or do I have to rig
> a little external speaker using a "Y" adapter?

No, since this is a hardware feature of any thinkpad. And yes, the Y way
is your solution.

HTH
Sebastian

--
" Religion ist das Opium des Volkes. " Karl Marx

SEB@STI@N GÜNTHER mailto:samson@guenther-roetgen.de

"Jonas Andradas" 08-28-2008 10:30 AM

ALSA mixer values

Hello Haines,

There are some other laptops/harwdare which let you activate both the Speakers and the Headphones at the same time, since it's a software configuration.* The ones I've seen show the same behaviour you state under Windows, but when under Linux, plugging in the Headphone jack does not mute the laptop speakers.* On other hardware, such as my laptop, when the headphone jack is detected, the speaker output is muted automatically (there is no "Front" or similar Alsamixer value to tweak).

Best Regards,Jonás Andradas

Skype: jontux
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/andradas
GPG Fingerprint: 5A90 3319 48BC E0DC 17D9
130B B5E2 9AFD 7649 30D5

Keyservers: wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net | pgp.rediris.es