Old 08-20-2008, 10:26 PM
"Mathieu Peltier"

Default Cannot compile kernel: make-kpkg seems to hang

Hi,
I am trying to recompile the linux kernel (Debian etch 4.0r4) on an
old Compaq Presario 1234 Notebook PC (K6 MMX 266 MHz, 32MB RAM, swap
760MB, wm2 window manager). Even the "make-kpg clean" command seems to
hang:

# cd /usr/src/linux-source-2.6.18
# make-kpkg --verbose clean
exec make -f /usr/share/kernel-package/ruleset/minimal.mk clean
<hangs here>

strace last output (if relevant):

--- SIGCHLD (Child exited) @ 0 (0) ---
sigreturn() = ? (mask now [])
close(6) = 0
read(5, "/usr/share/kernel-package
", 200) = 26
read(5, "", 174) = 0
close(5) = 0
wait4(-1, [{WIFEXITED(s) && WEXITSTATUS(s) == 0}], 0, NULL) = 16857
pipe([5, 6]) = 0
vfork() = 16858
close(6) = 0
read(5,

Any idea? Maybe I simply need more memory?
Thanks in advance.
--
Mathieu

Old 08-21-2008, 12:27 AM
Paolo

On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 12:26:23AM +0200, Mathieu Peltier wrote:
> old Compaq Presario 1234 Notebook PC (K6 MMX 266 MHz, 32MB RAM, swap
> Any idea? Maybe I simply need more memory?

likely

Anyway

1. try vanilla-compile: make mrproper;cp myconfig .config; make bzImage
2. try make-kpkg --verbose

HTH
--
paolo

Old 08-25-2008, 10:06 PM
"Mathieu Peltier"

On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 2:27 AM, Paolo <oopla@users.sf.net> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 12:26:23AM +0200, Mathieu Peltier wrote:
>> old Compaq Presario 1234 Notebook PC (K6 MMX 266 MHz, 32MB RAM, swap
>> Any idea? Maybe I simply need more memory?
>
> likely
>
> Anyway
>
> 1. try vanilla-compile: make mrproper;cp myconfig .config; make bzImage
> 2. try make-kpkg --verbose

Vanilla compilation was better but still failed. However after
increasing memory to 92Mo (and changing the CMOS battery), the problem
is fixed :-)
Thanks
--
Mathieu Peltier