-   -   NOT wake on lid switch? (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-laptop/144282-not-wake-lid-switch.html)

"Dotan Cohen" 08-17-2008 01:29 PM

NOT wake on lid switch?

How can I configure a Debian-based distro (Kubuntu) not to wake when
the lid switch is activated? The laptop in question is a Dell Inspiron
E1505 / 6400.

The wonderful engineers at Dell used a plastic so thin that when
pressure is placed on the lid when closed, it trips the switch. I have
found the machine idling with no airflow in my bag several times
already.

Thanks in advance.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

"Dotan Cohen" 08-17-2008 02:56 PM

NOT wake on lid switch?

2008/8/17 Bhasker C V <bhasker@unixindia.com>:
> All ACPI actions are present in
> /etc/acpi/events
>
> If you check the lidbtn script you can take actions on disabling it.

Thanks. I looked at the script, this is what is in it:

# /etc/acpi/events/lidbtn
# Called when the user closes or opens the lid
event=button[ /]lid
action=/etc/acpi/lid.sh

The /etc/acpi/lid.sh script is far above my skill level. Could I
simply replace /etc/acpi/events/lidbtn with a blank file, thereby
preventing the laptop from do anything when it runs? Alternatively, I
thought about simply disconnecting the switch from the motherboard (I
have already disassembled this lappy two or three times).

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Bhasker C V 08-18-2008 04:36 PM

NOT wake on lid switch?

Hi,

IMHO tweaking the hardware for a solution which can be achieved
by software would not be a good idea.

The script /etc/acpi/lid.sh does 2 tasks
a) to send the system to suspend when the lid is closed
b) to get the system back to normal when the lid is opened.

In case you want to disable the lid action then just comment the line

action=/etc/acpi/lid.sh
in the /etc/acpi/events/lidbtn script

(comment by adding an # in the start of that line as like below)
# action=/etc/acpi/lid.sh

that will disable the lid switch activity all-together.

Dotan Cohen wrote:

If you check the lidbtn script you can take actions on disabling it.

Thanks. I looked at the script, this is what is in it:

# /etc/acpi/events/lidbtn
# Called when the user closes or opens the lid
event=button[ /]lid
action=/etc/acpi/lid.sh

The /etc/acpi/lid.sh script is far above my skill level. Could I
simply replace /etc/acpi/events/lidbtn with a blank file, thereby
preventing the laptop from do anything when it runs? Alternatively, I
thought about simply disconnecting the switch from the motherboard (I
have already disassembled this lappy two or three times).

--
Bhasker C V
Registered Linux user: #306349 (counter.li.org)
The box said "Requires Windows 95, NT, or better", so I installed Linux.

Florian Reitmeir 08-18-2008 06:21 PM

NOT wake on lid switch?