Old 08-05-2008, 02:58 PM
Dale

Default suspend / hibernate

Hi all,

I have had this problem for a little while now, when I come out of
suspend / hibernation on on my Acer Aspire 5601AWLMi laptop I have
very high system load. I am wondering if any one else has or noticed
this problem. I have been informed it is a kernel problem and I am at
a lost how to debug it.

If am one can help with this problem it be very appreciated

Regards
Dale
--
[WWW] http://quail.southernvaleslug.org/
[IRC] #southern-vales.lug on irc.freenode.net

Old 08-05-2008, 04:51 PM
Shachar Or

On Tuesday 05 August 2008 17:58, Dale wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have had this problem for a little while now, when I come out of
> suspend / hibernation on on my Acer Aspire 5601AWLMi laptop I have
> very high system load. I am wondering if any one else has or noticed
> this problem. I have been informed it is a kernel problem and I am at
> a lost how to debug it.
>
> If am one can help with this problem it be very appreciated

Hi!

Perhaps you'd try a newer kernel and see?

What command/gui do you use for suspending?

--
Shachar Or | שחר אור
http://ox.freeallweb.org/

Old 08-05-2008, 04:51 PM
Shachar Or

--
Shachar Or | שחר אור
http://ox.freeallweb.org/

Old 08-05-2008, 06:09 PM
Andrew Sackville-West

On Wed, Aug 06, 2008 at 12:28:50AM +0930, Dale wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have had this problem for a little while now, when I come out of
> suspend / hibernation on on my Acer Aspire 5601AWLMi laptop I have
> very high system load. I am wondering if any one else has or noticed
> this problem. I have been informed it is a kernel problem and I am at
> a lost how to debug it.
>
> If am one can help with this problem it be very appreciated

I can't help, but I can confirm it. I see it on my Linux Certified
laptop, which is some kind of Asus repackage job. I see system load
spike as high as 15 or so for a few seconds and then it ramps back
down to normal after a few more seconds. I've always assumed (I know,
I know) that it was just some housekeeping involved with the recovery
from hibernate.

I hibernate with s2disk onto an encrypted swap partition. There is
definitely a lot of activity going on when it comes up... lots of disk
activity. But its a transient problem and doesn't really affect
usability that I've noticed.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:52 PM
Chris Burkhardt

I can't help, but I can confirm it. I see it on my Linux Certified
laptop, which is some kind of Asus repackage job. I see system load
spike as high as 15 or so for a few seconds and then it ramps back
down to normal after a few more seconds. I've always assumed (I know,
I know) that it was just some housekeeping involved with the recovery
from hibernate.

I observe the same with my Lenovo X60 tablet. I also assumed it was normal.

- Chris

Old 08-05-2008, 11:34 PM
Celejar

On Tue, 5 Aug 2008 11:09:39 -0700
Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 06, 2008 at 12:28:50AM +0930, Dale wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have had this problem for a little while now, when I come out of
> > suspend / hibernation on on my Acer Aspire 5601AWLMi laptop I have
> > very high system load. I am wondering if any one else has or noticed
> > this problem. I have been informed it is a kernel problem and I am at
> > a lost how to debug it.
> >
> > If am one can help with this problem it be very appreciated
>
> I can't help, but I can confirm it. I see it on my Linux Certified
> laptop, which is some kind of Asus repackage job. I see system load
> spike as high as 15 or so for a few seconds and then it ramps back
> down to normal after a few more seconds. I've always assumed (I know,
> I know) that it was just some housekeeping involved with the recovery
> from hibernate.

I used to often see CPU load at 100%, and for more than a few seconds
(indefinitely?), and IIRC, top showed that it was DBUS / HAL (I don't
recall exactly which process it was, and I don't have a very good
understanding of DBUS / HAL). Doing something like '/etc/init.d/dbus
restart' would drop the load back to normal. I don't think I've seen
the problem recently. Currently at 2.6.25.

This is an Acer Aspire 3690-2672, Celeron M 420 @ 1.6 GhZ.

> I hibernate with s2disk onto an encrypted swap partition. There is
> definitely a lot of activity going on when it comes up... lots of disk
> activity. But its a transient problem and doesn't really affect
> usability that I've noticed.

hibernate script, calling tuxonice / suspend2

Celejar

Old 08-06-2008, 12:58 AM
Dale

Hi,

I have had this problem with a few different kernel versions, and
suspend / hibernate only stared to work on my laptop with the acer
acpi[1] module which is now default in the kernel now from 2.6.25.

2008/8/6 Shachar Or <dawnlight@lavabit.com>:
> On Tuesday 05 August 2008 17:58, Dale wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have had this problem for a little while now, when I come out of
>> suspend / hibernation on on my Acer Aspire 5601AWLMi laptop I have
>> very high system load. I am wondering if any one else has or noticed
>> this problem. I have been informed it is a kernel problem and I am at
>> a lost how to debug it.
>>
>> If am one can help with this problem it be very appreciated
>
> Hi!
>
> Perhaps you'd try a newer kernel and see?

I am using kernel:
# uname -r
2.6.26-1-686

> What command/gui do you use for suspending?

iirc it the 'gnome power management'

[1] http://code.google.com/p/aceracpi/

--
[WWW] http://southernvaleslug.org/

Old 08-06-2008, 12:58 AM
Dale

Old 08-06-2008, 04:37 AM
"Sudev Barar"

2008/8/6 Celejar <celejar@gmail.com>:
>> > I have had this problem for a little while now, when I come out of
>> > suspend / hibernation on on my Acer Aspire 5601AWLMi laptop I have
>> > very high system load. I am wondering if any one else has or noticed
>> > this problem. I have been informed it is a kernel problem and I am at
>> > a lost how to debug it.

How do you monitor load when suspending / hibernating? On a different console?

>> I hibernate with s2disk onto an encrypted swap partition. There is
>> definitely a lot of activity going on when it comes up... lots of disk
>> activity. But its a transient problem and doesn't really affect
>> usability that I've noticed.

Slight thread hijack but the problem I have is that hibernate works
and I am able to recover on restart but suspend shuts down but does
not recover. All I get is a lighted up screen (which becomes normal in
case of hibernate)
I have been using the Gnome desktop GUI for suspending /hibernating.
On HP-TX1000 laptop right now the kernel is 2.6.24-19-generic on
Ubuntu but the problem was same in Debian.

Sudev Barar

PS: I know most of people do not follow email niceties (mostly they
are not aware) but if you follow bottom post/in-line post style of
email conversations it becomes a whole lot easier to carry on
meaningful dialogue and you can snip out what is not meaningful too.
Most people just hit reply button and top post leaving prior message
appended uselessly at bottom. See if you can adopt this style and
persuade others. In case you are already doing this ..... great,
spread the message.