Old 08-06-2008, 03:36 PM
Andrew Sackville-West

Default suspend / hibernate

On Wed, Aug 06, 2008 at 10:07:07AM +0530, Sudev Barar wrote:

> How do you monitor load when suspending / hibernating? On a
> different console?

we're talking about system load that's still hanging around *after*
resuming. When the system comes back up, and you get control back, the
system load will be very high for several seconds or more depending on
who it is...

> >> I hibernate with s2disk onto an encrypted swap partition. There is
> >> definitely a lot of activity going on when it comes up... lots of disk
> >> activity. But its a transient problem and doesn't really affect
> >> usability that I've noticed.
>
> Slight thread hijack but the problem I have is that hibernate works
> and I am able to recover on restart but suspend shuts down but does
> not recover. All I get is a lighted up screen (which becomes normal in
> case of hibernate)
> I have been using the Gnome desktop GUI for suspending /hibernating.
> On HP-TX1000 laptop right now the kernel is 2.6.24-19-generic on
> Ubuntu but the problem was same in Debian.

do you mean suspending to ram? That's a trickier deal than suspending
to disk, or hibernating. There are many possible factors involved
including whether or not to rePOST the video adapter and so
forth. read man s2ram as a starter...

Old 08-07-2008, 02:33 AM
"Sudev Barar"

2008/8/6 Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com>:

>> How do you monitor load when suspending / hibernating? On a
>> different console?
>
> we're talking about system load that's still hanging around *after*
> resuming. When the system comes back up, and you get control back, the
> system load will be very high for several seconds or more depending on
> who it is...

Okay. I will also watch out for this behavour.

>> Slight thread hijack but the problem I have is that hibernate works
>> and I am able to recover on restart but suspend shuts down but does
>> not recover. All I get is a lighted up screen (which becomes normal in
>> case of hibernate)
>
> do you mean suspending to ram? That's a trickier deal than suspending
> to disk, or hibernating. There are many possible factors involved
> including whether or not to rePOST the video adapter and so
> forth. read man s2ram as a starter...

Thanks for pointer will look it up.

Sudev Barar

PS: I know most of people do not follow email niceties (mostly they
are not aware) but if you follow bottom post/in-line post style of
email conversations it becomes a whole lot easier to carry on
meaningful dialogue and you can snip out what is not meaningful too.
Most people just hit reply button and top post leaving prior message
appended uselessly at bottom. See if you can adopt this style and
persuade others. In case you are already doing this ..... great,
spread the message.

Old 08-07-2008, 04:50 AM
Celejar

On Wed, 6 Aug 2008 10:07:07 +0530
"Sudev Barar" <sbarar@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]

Please watch your attributions; these are not my words.

Celejar

Old 08-08-2008, 04:40 AM
Dale

Hi all,

2008/8/6 Dale <quail.linux@gmail.com>:
> Hi all,
>
> I have had this problem for a little while now, when I come out of
> suspend / hibernation on on my Acer Aspire 5601AWLMi laptop I have
> very high system load. I am wondering if any one else has or noticed
> this problem. I have been informed it is a kernel problem and I am at
> a lost how to debug it.
>
> If am one can help with this problem it be very appreciated
[.....]

After doing some research and testing I still have not been able to
stop the initial system load when coming out of suspend / hibernate.
The commands 'ps aux' and 'top' are to showing me what is causing the
system load.

I have worked out that 'pm-utils' is what is controlling my suspend /
hibernate. and this what the log has to say which is not a lot really.

$ cat /var/log/pm-suspend.log
Initial commandline parameters:
Thu Aug 7 22:18:19 CST 2008: Running hooks for suspend.
/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/00clear suspend: disabled.
/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/05led suspend: not applicable.
/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/10NetworkManager suspend: success.
/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/49bluetooth suspend: not applicable.
/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/50modules suspend: not applicable.
/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/90clock suspend: success.
/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/94cpufreq suspend: success.
/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/95led suspend: not applicable.
/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/98smart-kernel-video suspend: success.
/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/99video suspend: disabled.
Thu Aug 7 22:18:20 CST 2008: performing suspend
Switching from vt7 to vt1
switching back to vt7
Thu Aug 7 22:18:40 CST 2008: Awake.
Thu Aug 7 22:18:40 CST 2008: Running hooks for resume
/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/99video resume: disabled.
/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/98smart-kernel-video resume: success.
/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/95led resume: not applicable.
/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/94cpufreq resume: success.
/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/90clock resume: success.
/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/50modules resume: success.
/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/49bluetooth resume: not applicable.
/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/10NetworkManager resume: success.
/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/05led resume: not applicable.
/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/00clear resume: disabled.
Thu Aug 7 22:18:41 CST 2008: Finished.

I have also tinkered around with 'pm-utils' config file to control
'uswsusp' for suspend / hibernate with the same result, high system
load coming out of suspend / hibernate.

So at the moment I am still at a loss what is cause the high system
load and how to find out what is, anyone have any advice to finding
this info out please.

And the other problem I have noticed is that when I come out of
suspend or hibernate it does not notice whether I am I am on AC or not
and if I am on AC and come out suspend or hibernate it set my HDD
power management to 128 instead of 254.

These are the couple pages I have found very useful for helping my out
information wise for suspend / hibernate:
http://en.opensuse.org/S2ram
http://en.opensuse.org/Pm-utils

If anyone can help with further guidence it be very appreciated.

Regards
Dale
--
[WWW] http://southernvaleslug.org/
[IRC] #southern-vales.lug on irc.freenode.net

Old 08-08-2008, 04:40 AM
Dale

Old 08-08-2008, 05:08 AM
Andrew Sackville-West

> And the other problem I have noticed is that when I come out of
> suspend or hibernate it does not notice whether I am I am on AC or not
> and if I am on AC and come out suspend or hibernate it set my HDD
> power management to 128 instead of 254.

not much help, but I configured laptop mode to force laptop mode all
the time. Basically it never acts like it's on AC, even when it is. It
was better than having to force it into one more or another. I haven't
played with that for a while though.

Old 08-08-2008, 02:44 PM
Rob Mahurin

I have had this problem for a little while now, when I come out of
suspend / hibernation on on my Acer Aspire 5601AWLMi laptop I have
very high system load. I am wondering if any one else has or noticed
this problem. I have been informed it is a kernel problem and I
am at

a lost how to debug it.

If am one can help with this problem it be very appreciated

[.....]

After doing some research and testing I still have not been able to
stop the initial system load when coming out of suspend / hibernate.
The commands 'ps aux' and 'top' are to showing me what is causing the
system load.

from the proc(5) man page:

/proc/loadavg
The load average numbers give the number of jobs in the
run queue (state R) or waiting for disk I/O (state D)
averaged over 1, 5, and 15 minutes. They are the same
as the load average numbers given by uptime(1) and other
programs.

While your machine is suspended, isn't every process waiting? So if
your machine has 150 processes running and a normal load of 0, and
the suspend/resume occupies the processor for 0.1 minutes = six
seconds, the one-minute load average should jump up to 15? Even if
no processes are waiting after the resume, the one-minute average
won't go back down for ... a minute.

Have you actually tried a benchmark, instead of looking at the system
load? Something like

$ for i in $(seq 10) ; do date ; time head -c 1000000 /dev/urandom |
md5sum ; done 2>&1 | grep ^real
$ sudo suspend ; for i in $(seq 10) ; do date ; time head -c 1000000 /
dev/urandom | md5sum ; done 2>&1 | grep ^real

This would give you an idea of how long soon after the suspend your
machine gets back to its normal speed. The "load average" may not
mean what it usually does here.

I haven't followed the thread closely, apologies if this is duplicate
information.

Cheers,
Rob

--
Rob Mahurin
Dept. of Physics & Astronomy

Old 08-08-2008, 06:02 PM
Andrew Sackville-West

On Fri, Aug 08, 2008 at 10:44:14AM -0400, Rob Mahurin wrote:
> On Aug 8, 2008, at 12:40 AM, Dale wrote:
>> 2008/8/6 Dale <quail.linux@gmail.com>:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I have had this problem for a little while now, when I come out of
>>> suspend / hibernation on on my Acer Aspire 5601AWLMi laptop I have
>>> very high system load. I am wondering if any one else has or noticed
>>> this problem. I have been informed it is a kernel problem and I am
>>> at
>>> a lost how to debug it.
>>>
>>> If am one can help with this problem it be very appreciated
>> [.....]
>>
>> After doing some research and testing I still have not been able to
>> stop the initial system load when coming out of suspend / hibernate.
>> The commands 'ps aux' and 'top' are to showing me what is causing the
>> system load.
>
> from the proc(5) man page:
>
>> /proc/loadavg
>> The load average numbers give the number of jobs in the
>> run queue (state R) or waiting for disk I/O (state D)
>> averaged over 1, 5, and 15 minutes. They are the same
>> as the load average numbers given by uptime(1) and other
>> programs.
>
> While your machine is suspended, isn't every process waiting? So if
> your machine has 150 processes running and a normal load of 0, and the
> suspend/resume occupies the processor for 0.1 minutes = six seconds, the
> one-minute load average should jump up to 15? Even if no processes are
> waiting after the resume, the one-minute average won't go back down for
> ... a minute.
>
> Have you actually tried a benchmark, instead of looking at the system
> load? Something like
>
> $ for i in $(seq 10) ; do date ; time head -c 1000000 /dev/urandom |
> md5sum ; done 2>&1 | grep ^real
> $ sudo suspend ; for i in $(seq 10) ; do date ; time head -c 1000000 /
> dev/urandom | md5sum ; done 2>&1 | grep ^real
>
> This would give you an idea of how long soon after the suspend your
> machine gets back to its normal speed. The "load average" may not mean
> what it usually does here.
>
> I haven't followed the thread closely, apologies if this is duplicate
> information.

very nice deduction. I'll run that next time I suspend... thanks