Old 08-03-2008, 08:44 AM
Ricardo Ichizo

Default iwl4965 on 2.6.25 / 2.6.26

Hello,

On Sun, Aug 03, 2008 at 09:57:50AM +0200, Tobi wrote:

> The notebook is running with Lenny and kernel 2.6.26-1-amd64. I've also
> tried the 2.6.26 from Ubuntu and 2.6.25 without success. Only 2.6.24
> works, but not very stable.

I've had the same problem with my Sony Vaio. The wireless card is iwl3945
and when I did the upgrade (2.6.24 to 2.6.25) there was ipv6 modules and
the package "firmware-iwlwifi" did not work properly. I also had
problems with vserver (Linux vserver - virtualization) module.

I don't know if the bug [1] is the same that your, but it sounds likely
its.

With kernel 2.6.24 all things seem to work perfectly.

> With 2.6.25 and 2.6.26 I can immediately see all wlans in range (with
> 2.6.24 this could take 5-10 minutes), so scanning works fine.

I didn't understand, how do you test your laptop with kernel 2.6.26, is it
already in Ubuntu ? In Debian "Lenny" the last (minor) version of the package
is 2.6.25.

[1] - http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=441039

My two cents,
Regards.
--
_(~)_
)"( [[ n1ghtcr4wler ]]

Old 08-03-2008, 09:19 AM
Tobi

Ricardo Ichizo wrote:

> I've had the same problem with my Sony Vaio. The wireless card is iwl3945
> and when I did the upgrade (2.6.24 to 2.6.25) there was ipv6 modules and
> the package "firmware-iwlwifi" did not work properly.

Could you solve this?

> I don't know if the bug [1] is the same that your, but it sounds likely
> its.
> [1] - http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=441039

??? Seems you have a typo here. #441039 is about a 3com NIC.

Tobias

Old 08-03-2008, 05:12 PM
Heiko Weinen

On Sun, Aug 03, 2008 at 09:57:50AM +0200, Tobi wrote:
> I have a hard time getting the WLAN working on my HP8510p.

Had that, too. On my IBM X60. Works perfect now with 2.6.24 and 2.6.25.
I'm running stock-kernels only, right now, because i'm to lazy to compile
on my own.

> The notebook is running with Lenny and kernel 2.6.26-1-amd64. I've also
> tried the 2.6.26 from Ubuntu and 2.6.25 without success. Only 2.6.24
> works, but not very stable.

You should probably not use kernels, as well as a lot of the core-
packages from Ubuntu. Might hurt your system badly

> With 2.6.25 and 2.6.26 I can immediately see all wlans in range (with
> 2.6.24 this could take 5-10 minutes), so scanning works fine.

[..]
> WEP and WAP2 don't work either. I can only get a connection to a
> completely unsecure WLAN.

I essentially got everything to work very nicely using WICD:

http://wicd.sourceforge.net/

Which manages all my networks now. Sadly, there's no maintained
Debian package (at least in unstable..)
You should try it And don't forget to setup the NICs correctly,
you will probably need WEXT as WPA-Driver.

Regards,
Heiko

--
Lubarsky's Law of Cybernetic Entomology: prov.
"There is always one more bug."

Old 08-04-2008, 01:32 AM
Tobi

Heiko Weinen wrote:

> You should probably not use kernels, as well as a lot of the core-
> packages from Ubuntu. Might hurt your system badly

Besides the WLAN problem, the Ubuntu-Kernel worked fine. But I'm now use
the 2.6.26 that ships in Debian/Sid. I'm not using anything else from
Ubuntu at the moment, and if I would do so, then only by recompiling it.

> I essentially got everything to work very nicely using WICD:

Ok. I tried Wicd, but it doesn't work either. Exactly the same problem.
It works with 2.6.24, but not with 2.6.26 ;(

Tobias

Old 08-04-2008, 06:00 AM
Heiko Weinen

On Mon, Aug 04, 2008 at 03:32:45AM +0200, Tobi wrote:
> Heiko Weinen wrote:
> > I essentially got everything to work very nicely using WICD:
>
> Ok. I tried Wicd, but it doesn't work either. Exactly the same problem.
> It works with 2.6.24, but not with 2.6.26 ;(

Ok, i'm gonna test that with an updated kernel. I'll send my results
tomorrow. The upgrade is necessary anyway.

Heiko

--
find -name "*base*" -exec chown us {} ; ; ln -s /dev/zero /dev/chance ; make time

Old 08-08-2008, 02:54 PM
Tobi

Heiko Weinen wrote:

> Ok, i'm gonna test that with an updated kernel. I'll send my results
> tomorrow. The upgrade is necessary anyway.

Any luck with upgrading to 2.6.26?

Tobias