-   -   Installing debian linux on HP dv6700se with Intel core 2 duo T8300 processor and 4gb ram in dual boot mode (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-laptop/135473-installing-debian-linux-hp-dv6700se-intel-core-2-duo-t8300-processor-4gb-ram-dual-boot-mode.html)

Srinivasa Rao Chigurupati 08-01-2008 01:07 AM

Installing debian linux on HP dv6700se with Intel core 2 duo T8300 processor and 4gb ram in dual boot mode

Hi
I purchased recently HP pavilion dv6700se notebook with Intel core 2 duo T8300 processor 2.4ghz and 4gb ram. would you point me to right debian linux build i should instal on this laptop. There are many builds i386(ia32), ia64 and amd64 which one right for above configuration.

This laptop came with hard disk single partition. How do i create another free partition to install linux from sinlge partition without losing presnt window vista home premius os.

Thanks
Srinivasa Rao Chigurupati

Johan Grönqvist 08-01-2008 08:20 AM

Srinivasa Rao Chigurupati wrote:

Hi
I purchased recently HP pavilion dv6700se notebook with Intel core 2 duo T8300 processor 2.4ghz and 4gb ram. would you point me to right debian linux build i should instal on this laptop. There are many builds i386(ia32), ia64 and amd64 which one right for above configuration.

I think that amd64 and i386 should both work. Which is the right one
depends on what you want. I have problems getting flash to work on amd64
installation, as there is no 64-bit version of adobes flash player. I
still use 64-bit though, as I believe (have not tested) that my programs
run a bit faster on a 64-bit processor (more floating point registers in
the CPU).

This laptop came with hard disk single partition. How do i create another free partition to install linux from sinlge partition without losing presnt window vista home premius os.

Vista includes a partitioning tool that can resize the partition and
create a new one in the free space. I think it is called disk management
or so, but unfortunately I do not remember exactly where it was in the
menus. (Start -> Right click on computer, and then manage or so -
perhaps). Its drawback is that it can only resize a partition by a
limited amount, as it can not move some system files around.

Another option is using gparted (I use ubuntu live CDs for this), but
there are problems (so I have read) resizing Vista partitions with
gparted (they will not boot afterwards, and can only be repaired with a
Vista rescue CD I think, use google).

Good luck

/ johan