-   -   ATI FireGL V5200, proprietary and open source drivers (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-laptop/133334-ati-firegl-v5200-proprietary-open-source-drivers.html)

Jim McCloskey 07-28-2008 09:26 PM

ATI FireGL V5200, proprietary and open source drivers

Recently, I have posted to both of these lists:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-laptop/2008/07/msg00012.html

about the struggles I've had with the ATI graphics adapter (Mobility
FireGL V5200) in my Thinkpad T60p. The proprietary driver supplied by
ATI (fglrx) has proved a nightmare for me---suspend/resume hasn't
worked, no xv extension, frequent X crashes, freezes, no hardware
acceleration, the slow scrolling problem with Firefox/Iceweasel 3,
which has now also been documented by many others. I concluded,
though, with this:

|> So there are still no very good choices for linux users who have
|> made the mistake of buying a system which includes one of these new
|> ATI adapters.

This turns out not to be true, and I want to withdraw it. I've been
using both available open source drivers in the past week: the
radeonhd driver (xserver-xorg-video-radeonhd) and the radeon driver
(xserver-xorg-video-radeon) from current testing (soon to be stable),
and both now give excellent dependable results with this card.

At present, I'm using the radeon driver from testing with an absolutely
minimalist xorg.conf, and:

. all routine stuff is fine (Firefox 3, moving windows, moving from
screen to screen etc)
. suspend/resume works fine
. the xv video extension works fine, and so video playback is good
. hardware acceleration is enabled; I get about 1900 frames per second
with glxgears, which is more than good enough to run GoogleEarth,
the only 3D application I care about

These results are achieved by installing the latest libdrm and mesa
libraries (libdrm2, libgl1-mesa-dri, libgl1-mesa-glx, libglu1-mesa,
mesa-utils, libgl1-mesa-dev) and crucially by installing up to date
versions of the kernel drm modules from the git repository at
freedesktop.org. This last sounds intimidating, but fortunately it has
been made easy by Debian/Ubuntu developer Tormod Volden, who has
provided a script here:

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers/xorg-server/xorg-pkg-tools/files

called `easy-drm-modules-installer'. This script calls git to download
the latest development snapshots, compiles the modules against the
running kernel and installs them. Rebooting causes those modules to be
used rather than the current kernel modules. This is, obviously,
recent development software and so one has no right to expect
stability, but so far for me at least there have been no problems.

This is real progress, I think.

Jim

Jim McCloskey 07-28-2008 09:26 PM

Ron Johnson 07-29-2008 12:23 AM

ATI FireGL V5200, proprietary and open source drivers

Jim McCloskey 07-29-2008 04:38 PM

ATI FireGL V5200, proprietary and open source drivers

|> Does this infer that you need a graphical console, DRM or a kernel
|> frame buffer?

Not as far as I can tell. The script checks for various dependencies (git, headers for
the running kernel, the kernel building packages and so on) but I can't see that it checks
kernel configuration options (assuming that that was what you had in mind),

Jim

Ron Johnson 07-29-2008 05:34 PM

ATI FireGL V5200, proprietary and open source drivers

"Kelly Clowers" 07-29-2008 09:00 PM

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 10:34 AM, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:

>> Not as far as I can tell. The script checks for various dependencies (git, headers for
>> the running kernel, the kernel building packages and so on) but I can't see that it checks
>> kernel configuration options (assuming that that was what you had in mind),
>
> Is CONFIG_DRM set in /boot/config-2.6* ?

The Direct Render Manager has to be active for 3D to work. I think 2D
xrender and
XAA should work fine, but I believe that "desktop effects" and compiz
require 3D.
EXA should work, but will likely be *very* slow without DRM/DRI. XV should work
fine without DRM/DRI, but I am not sure about XVmc.

Do you not use DRM/DRI?

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers

Ron Johnson 07-29-2008 09:42 PM

ATI FireGL V5200, proprietary and open source drivers

|> Does this infer that you need a graphical console, DRM or a kernel
|> frame buffer?

Not as far as I can tell. The script checks for various dependencies (git, headers for
the running kernel, the kernel building packages and so on) but I can't see that it checks
kernel configuration options (assuming that that was what you had in mind),

Is CONFIG_DRM set in /boot/config-2.6* ?

The Direct Render Manager has to be active for 3D to work. I think 2D
xrender and
XAA should work fine, but I believe that "desktop effects" and compiz
require 3D.
EXA should work, but will likely be *very* slow without DRM/DRI. XV should work
fine without DRM/DRI, but I am not sure about XVmc.

Do you not use DRM/DRI?

Not needed with vesa, nv or nvidia drivers. 3D, aiglx and xvmc all
work like a charm with the nvidia binary driver.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

York is doomed."

"Kelly Clowers" 07-29-2008 11:07 PM

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 2:42 PM, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
> On 07/29/08 16:00, Kelly Clowers wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 10:34 AM, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net>
>> wrote:

>>> Is CONFIG_DRM set in /boot/config-2.6* ?
>>

>> The Direct Render Manager has to be active for 3D to work. I think 2D
>> xrender and
>> XAA should work fine, but I believe that "desktop effects" and compiz
>> require 3D.
>> EXA should work, but will likely be *very* slow without DRM/DRI. XV should
>> work
>> fine without DRM/DRI, but I am not sure about XVmc.
>>
>> Do you not use DRM/DRI?
>
> Not needed with vesa, nv or nvidia drivers. 3D, aiglx and xvmc all work
> like a charm with the nvidia binary driver.

Interesting, it looks like the nvidia binary drivers do their own thing. And of
course vesa and nv have no 3D.

Ron Johnson 07-30-2008 12:40 AM

ATI FireGL V5200, proprietary and open source drivers

|> Does this infer that you need a graphical console, DRM or a kernel
|> frame buffer?

Not as far as I can tell. The script checks for various dependencies
(git, headers for
the running kernel, the kernel building packages and so on) but I can't
see that it checks
kernel configuration options (assuming that that was what you had in
mind),

Is CONFIG_DRM set in /boot/config-2.6* ?

The Direct Render Manager has to be active for 3D to work. I think 2D
xrender and
XAA should work fine, but I believe that "desktop effects" and compiz
require 3D.
EXA should work, but will likely be *very* slow without DRM/DRI. XV should
work
fine without DRM/DRI, but I am not sure about XVmc.

Do you not use DRM/DRI?

Not needed with vesa, nv or nvidia drivers. 3D, aiglx and xvmc all work
like a charm with the nvidia binary driver.

Interesting, it looks like the nvidia binary drivers do their own thing. And of
course vesa and nv have no 3D.

Do you boot directly into [xkg]dm?

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

York is doomed."

"Kelly Clowers" 07-30-2008 03:55 PM

ATI FireGL V5200, proprietary and open source drivers

|> *Does this infer that you need a graphical console, DRM or a kernel

|> *frame buffer?

Not as far as I can tell. The script checks for various dependencies

(git, headers for

the running kernel, the kernel building packages and so on) but I can't

see that it checks

kernel configuration options (assuming that that was what you had in

mind),

Is CONFIG_DRM set in /boot/config-2.6* ?

The Direct Render Manager has to be active for 3D to work. I think 2D

xrender and

XAA should work fine, but I believe that "desktop effects" and compiz

require 3D.

EXA should work, but will likely be *very* slow without DRM/DRI. XV should

work

fine without DRM/DRI, but I am not sure about XVmc.

Do you not use DRM/DRI?

Not needed with *vesa, nv or nvidia drivers. *3D, aiglx and xvmc all work

like a charm with the nvidia binary driver.

Interesting, it looks like the nvidia binary drivers do their own thing. And of

course vesa and nv have no 3D.

Do you boot directly into [xkg]dm?
I don't use *DMs (am I correctly remembering that you don't either?). I boot
to the cli and run xstart.sh, which lets me choose which WM I want to use.

These days I use awesome 3.0pre-alpha (git). Why do you ask?

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers