Old 07-25-2008, 09:36 PM
DARREN

Default I want to make a copy of my system on dvd

hi there i want to make a boot dvd of my system. Please let me know how. I
want my entire debian configuration of a dvd & want to just put the dvd in
and watch it restore.

I tried Mondo but it i could use something simple which is also able to make
my system bootable its find. Got deb 4.0r3. Please show me the fullcommand as
i am new to linux.

thanks

darren

Old 07-25-2008, 10:07 PM
Paolo

On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 11:36:08PM +0200, DARREN wrote:
> hi there i want to make a boot dvd of my system. Please let me know how. I

look for pkgs bootcd and friends (bootcd-i386, bootcd-mkinitramfs).
Install, study the docs, run ... from the front page:

"With the installation of this bootcd extension your
initrd-image will be updated to be usable for bootcd.
With bootcd you can copy your system to cd, run it from
cd without need for disks and restore your system on disk from bootcd."

which seems what you want.

HTH
--
paolo

Old 07-26-2008, 07:22 PM
"Jonas Andradas"

Wow, Paolo,

that's such a nice set of packages. I have never had the need, but
it's nice to know that they exist in case that need arises.

Thank you very much,

Jonas.

2008/7/26, Paolo <oopla@users.sf.net>:
> On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 11:36:08PM +0200, DARREN wrote:
>> hi there i want to make a boot dvd of my system. Please let me know how. I
>>

> look for pkgs bootcd and friends (bootcd-i386, bootcd-mkinitramfs).
> Install, study the docs, run ... from the front page:
>
> "With the installation of this bootcd extension your
> initrd-image will be updated to be usable for bootcd.
> With bootcd you can copy your system to cd, run it from
> cd without need for disks and restore your system on disk from bootcd."
>
> which seems what you want.
>
> HTH
> --
> paolo

Jonás Andradas

Skype: jontux
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/andradas
GPG Fingerprint: 5A90 3319 48BC E0DC 17D9
130B B5E2 9AFD 7649 30D5
Keyservers: wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net | pgp.rediris.es

Old 07-26-2008, 10:41 PM
Paolo

On Sat, Jul 26, 2008 at 09:22:42PM +0200, Jonas Andradas wrote:

> Thank you very much,

you're welcome, but I didn't do that much, kudos go to the fine guys who
actually did & maintain the thing

BTW, http://debian-live.alioth.debian.org/ might offer other hints on the
matter.

--
paolo

Old 07-27-2008, 09:23 AM
Paolo

On Sun, Jul 27, 2008 at 10:55:30AM +0200, embrik kaslegard wrote:
> (teachers) would be a nice thing. My problem is that I find it difficult
> to shrink the image down to 4,7 gb. I've exluded /home/* /var/log /tmp/*
> and still the image size is 5,7 gb. I want all the installed programmes
> on the dvd. Any suggestions to folders to skip ?

/usr/share/doc but there's hardly +1GB in there.

Perhaps 'Transparent decompression extension' for cd/dvd fs (zisofs) has
something to offer
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/fs/zisofs/
In kernel config:
x Location:
x -> File systems
x -> CD-ROM/DVD Filesystems
x -> ISO 9660 CDROM file system support (ISO9660_FS [=y])
dunno how/if it'd work for a bootable cd.

--
paolo

Old 07-27-2008, 07:48 PM
Paolo

On Sun, Jul 27, 2008 at 11:39:19AM +0200, embrik kaslegard wrote:
> >/usr/share/doc but there's hardly +1GB in there.
> >
> >You're right. I came down from 5,7 to 5,2 gb when excluding
> >/usr/share/doc. The other suggestion you had, was a bit too tecnical for
> >me :-(

ok, that's already half a GB; then you can turn to upx-ucl, and give it a
try - compress on disk, _in place_ all executables in /usr/*bin (most of
the executables MB are in there), and anything ELF*executable in /usr/lib*,
then check what's your final figure. From there, only way to fall within
the 4.4 GB DVD limit is likely to remove stuff.
In summary,

1. apt-get install upx-ucl
2. upx /usr/*bin/* (you'll likely see some errors, due to uncompressible
stuff)
3. upx `find /usr/lib* -type f -exec file {} ;|grep 'ELF [^,]*executable'|cut -d: -f1` (errors/warnings again)

after that, check that programs still work :P.
If all seems fine check size, shave away not-really-really-needed stuff, if
that's the case, and make your bootable livedvd.

Unfortunatly, most of the MB are in libraries, which upx cannot handle, hence
the need for a compressed whole volume.

Of course you want to read upx manual and do some test _first_ .

good luck!
HTH
--
paolo

Old 07-28-2008, 12:54 PM
Paolo

[pls post to the ML, not my address - besides, you get lot more chances of
an answer]

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 02:39:05AM -0700, darren naidoo wrote:
> Hi i need 2 copy my boot partition wid partimage but i tried booting wid a rescue and it says i need a root pswd. How do i log in as root from a rescue?

- check docs for that rescue disk; if it's a rescue disk meant just for your
system, root pwd should be your usual root pwd.
- try to boot with bootparam 'init=/bin/sh' which should drop you in a shell
very soon - note / will be ro and nothing else is mounted.

HTH
--
paolo

Old 07-28-2008, 12:55 PM
Paolo

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 02:02:04AM -0700, darren naidoo wrote:
> Use -z2 with command partimage for compression. Check partimage --help

I doubt that'd work with plain mkisofs -> cdrecord -> DVD.

--
paolo